Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat Tire Kit - Domane AL 3

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-01-20, 07:00 AM
tpwhite818

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A rather recent rider. Bought a Domane AL 3 last year. Any suggestions on what specifically to buy to have on the bike to change a flat tire....ie a specific bike mount pump, a bag (or something) for a spare tire, etc. Thanks
Old 04-01-20, 08:55 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
Are the tires with tubes or tubeless?

You ask about bike mounted pumps, why not carry CO2 inflators?

Have you asked the shop where you bought the bike? At our shop we give a discount at the time of bike purchase on these things as well as offer a lot of free advice. Andy
Old 04-01-20, 09:38 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I carry a Topeak Road Morph G pump, a pair of tire levers, a spare tube and a small patch kit with an unopened tube of vulcanizing fluid. A microfiber cloth to feel inside the tire for sharp objects and to wipe my brow and hands. Unlike a CO2 setup the pump has an inexhaustible supply of air, will accommodate Schrader or Presta valves without adapters and has a usable gauge.
While I only run tires I can mount by hand I carry the levers to ease dismounting and in case my hands are tired or wet.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-01-20, 09:50 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
I carry a Topeak Road Morph G pump, a pair of tire levers, a spare tube and a small patch kit with an unopened tube of vulcanizing fluid. A microfiber cloth to feel inside the tire for sharp objects and to wipe my brow and hands. Unlike a CO2 setup the pump has an inexhaustible supply of air, will accommodate Schrader or Presta valves without adapters and has a usable gauge.
While I only run tires I can mount by hand I carry the levers to ease dismounting and in case my hands are tired or wet.
I also have been using the Road Morph G for 7 or 8 years. It is not the smallest frame pump, but it has a little gauge, and you can set it up on the ground to get a little bit of leverage when pumping up the tires. I always carry a spare tube, sometimes two. I have never patched tire on the road, though I do carry patches as an emergency backup. Tire levers are good for unseating the bead of the tire from the rim, and they are light and cheap, so no reason not to carry two of them in your seatbag.

The microfiber cloth is a good idea. I might add that to my bag.
Old 04-01-20, 10:15 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
The microfiber cloth is a good idea. I might add that to my bag.
When not in use it is wrapped around my tools to keep them quiet.
Old 04-01-20, 11:59 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by tpwhite818
A rather recent rider. Bought a Domane AL 3 last year. Any suggestions on what specifically to buy to have on the bike to change a flat tire....ie a specific bike mount pump, a bag (or something) for a spare tire, etc. Thanks
As a minimum
  • two tire levers
  • spare inner tube
  • patch kit (in case you are so unlucky as to have two flats on one ride
  • CO2 powered inflator

If you are riding much longer distances then some people like a mini-pump and carry two spare tubes and a patch kit.

I would also suggest a small set of hex keys for making adjustments. Some like a multi-tool but I just carry the few tools I need in a zip lock bag

Just today on my daily ride I had to stop and for some un-known reason adjust the limit screw on the front derailer as it would not go down to smaller chainring. I figure dirt got in there. Tomorrow I take it off the bike and do the disassemble, clean, inspect and lube job. My point is that needing a simple adjustment or repair is ALWAYS a surprise and no one expects it. Just be prepared. All you need should fit in one hand.
Old 04-02-20, 06:28 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
As a minimum
  • two tire levers
  • spare inner tube
  • patch kit (in case you are so unlucky as to have two flats on one ride
  • CO2 powered inflator

If you are riding much longer distances then some people like a mini-pump and carry two spare tubes and a patch kit.

I would also suggest a small set of hex keys for making adjustments. Some like a multi-tool but I just carry the few tools I need in a zip lock bag

Just today on my daily ride I had to stop and for some un-known reason adjust the limit screw on the front derailer as it would not go down to smaller chainring. I figure dirt got in there. Tomorrow I take it off the bike and do the disassemble, clean, inspect and lube job. My point is that needing a simple adjustment or repair is ALWAYS a surprise and no one expects it. Just be prepared. All you need should fit in one hand.
What Chris said, with the addition of a small piece of an old tire or heavy inner tube, about 15mm x 30mm or somewhere around there boot in case you get a tear in a tire. I try to watch for road hazards, but sometimes they are out there, especially radial tire wire. Also, $20 is good to have for longer rides in case you need a purchase that you can't use the stored card on your phone for. That can be kept behind the bar end plug or inside your hoods. The phone is for an Uber or other ride in case of the Call of Shame.
Old 04-02-20, 06:57 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
May I suggest to the OP that a repair manual be purchased and looked at from time to time. A good one is Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance but there are others. This kind of book gives lots of suggestions on what to bring with you on a ride and what tools to have in your home shop. And of course how-to information on repairs and maintenance. I think it is a good idea to practice removing a tire from the wheel at home before you have to do it on the road.
Old 04-02-20, 07:12 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Good suggestions you can't go wrong with. I like Lezyine products. I have a floor pump at home and carry the type you can stand on to pump up tires on the road. What I especially like is the screw on type valve attachment. https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...mp-mfdr-v204hp
Old 04-02-20, 07:25 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I'm a belt-and-suspenders guy so I carry a small mini-pump attached to a bracket under my water bottle cage and a CO2 inflator with at least two 16 gm threaded cartridges. The pump is used to initially inflate the replaced tube to be sure it will hold pressure and that the tire is fully seated. Then the CO2 brings it up to full pressure with out having to fight the pump for 300 strokes. I have a small under saddle bag with two spare tubes, three plastic tire levers, a small multi-tool, spare chain quick link and the above mentioned CO2 setup.

BTW, threaded CO2 cartridges are absurdly expensive if purchased from a bike shop but are more reasonable if purchased in boxes of 10 or more from Amazon or other on-line sellers.

Last edited by HillRider; 04-02-20 at 07:29 AM.
Old 04-02-20, 08:39 AM
tpwhite818

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks...I am in New York..bicycle stores are closed, so whatever I do will be done via online, as I do want to start riding with the better weather to get some escape from being housebound. OK, so I get the jist that bicycle hand pumps are a big chore. I am definitely not into 300 strokes. I will do a little research on the CO2 cartridges to understand what I would need to properly inflate a tube in one of my tires. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by HillRider
I'm a belt-and-suspenders guy so I carry a small mini-pump attached to a bracket under my water bottle cage and a CO2 inflator with at least two 16 gm threaded cartridges. The pump is used to initially inflate the replaced tube to be sure it will hold pressure and that the tire is fully seated. Then the CO2 brings it up to full pressure with out having to fight the pump for 300 strokes. I have a small under saddle bag with two spare tubes, three plastic tire levers, a small multi-tool, spare chain quick link and the above mentioned CO2 setup.

BTW, threaded CO2 cartridges are absurdly expensive if purchased from a bike shop but are more reasonable if purchased in boxes of 10 or more from Amazon or other on-line sellers.
Old 04-02-20, 08:43 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
After hitting a steel plate on the road and getting two flats at once, I carry two tubes and enough co2 to inflate them both.
In addition to the patch kit and gas for flat #3 .
+1 on buying co2 from amazon by the bulk box.
Old 04-02-20, 09:19 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by tpwhite818
Thanks...I am in New York..bicycle stores are closed, so whatever I do will be done via online, as I do want to start riding with the better weather to get some escape from being housebound. OK, so I get the jist that bicycle hand pumps are a big chore. I am definitely not into 300 strokes. I will do a little research on the CO2 cartridges to understand what I would need to properly inflate a tube in one of my tires. Thanks again.
They are actually not that bad, if you get a good one. I am more comfortable with my Topeak Road Morph G than I am with CO2. The pumping up the tire isn't that hard unless you get a really small pump. But I am fine with mounting my pump to my bike rather than having one small enough to stick in a jersey pocket. Moreover, with a pump, I am more likely to be able to help a stranded cyclist with my pump than I would to donate my only CO2 cartridge.
Old 04-02-20, 11:12 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I used a topeak seat bag for ever it seems then I got one on ebay as a second for a second bike called Speedsleev. The is my new favorite bag ever. Getting a second for my second bike and ditching the topeak all together. I am really liking the speedsleev!

I carry a tube, patch kit, I use C02/inflator, a small multi tool, tire levers and tire boot. That is all I carry....all I have ever needed.
Old 04-03-20, 03:23 PM
tpwhite818

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much...appreciate everyone's input...learned a couple things (like CO2 cartridges) and will order what I need from the input..
Old 04-03-20, 07:07 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
I use a CHEAP Bell pump & CO2 on the road.
The pump lets me get the beads seated evenly and I put in about 30ish? PSI.
I then top it off with the CO2 without worrying about a crooked bead etc.
Pump is cheap in case of theft.
Old 04-03-20, 11:38 PM
XXLHardrock

Bikes: Some old CL beater

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
A Lezyne size medium Road Drive only takes about 150 strokes to reach adequate psi on a 28mm tire. It’s really not much work and the pump is so nicely made, it’s a pleasure to use. Lezyne also makes a handy patch kit with self adhesive patches and a small boot.
Old 04-04-20, 08:17 AM
ted_major

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
You might want to have a look at Sam Tracy's Roadside Bicycle Repair. It's a short overview of the types of things you might need to do on the road and written in a pretty accessible style (if you've ever had a copy of John Muir's How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, you'll feel right at home).

Like XXLHardrock above, I've had a Lezyne Road Drive for years, and even though I've only had to use it a few times (*knocks wood*), it's done well for 700x25, 700x28, and 700x35. It's also available with an inline pressure gauge, but you'll need to check it against a known pump. Mine reads about 10lbs low. Like others above, I usually carry a tube or two, a patch kit just in case, levers, and a pump. Lots of the places I ride don't have cell reception, so ubering home isn't an option for me. I used to carry CO2, but now that I ride further afield, I like the unlimited supply of air that comes with a pump.