Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ugh, road paint all over the Paletti!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-26-19, 03:41 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2300 Post(s)
Liked 4,764 Times in 1,725 Posts

So while getting ready to take out the PDG Paramount today I noticed white paint all over the bottom of my saddle bag. I was like WTF?? The I realized the last bike I had this bag on was my beautiful Paletti. Went over to check it and found paint splattered all over the frame!!!!!!!

Of all the bikes to have this happen too, why the Paletti?

I guess somewhere the other day they must have been painting the white lines on the road and I must have gotten into it. Bad news is it's been on there nine days now. Was off the bike due to a problem with a tooth extraction so I didn't see it sooner. Seems to be adhered pretty well but there just has to be a away to remove it without damaging the finish on this bike.

I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions before I start in on this. The bike did have a coat of carnauba wax so maybe that'll save this from being permanent.

Man I am still so ticked about this.

I finally get my hands on a bike that is a true work or art and this happens. If I had saw them painting or even a sign warning about it I would have made sure to stay off the lines.
Old 10-26-19, 03:45 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Bummer! Ride the anger out till it cools then think with a clear head. I believe the wax job will be the saving grace.

hoping for the best!
Old 10-26-19, 03:47 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,353 Times in 882 Posts

Seriously, I had this happen with yellow paint on a red frame. At least it was a complimentary color.

Let it dry and try a fingernail or a light touch with a "Magic Eraser".
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 10-26-19, 04:12 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 649 Times in 336 Posts
Try Goo Gone. Don't rub too hard. It might just come off without harming the bike's paint.

Last edited by TenGrainBread; 10-26-19 at 05:40 PM.
Old 10-26-19, 05:03 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I'm a bike frame painter and what I would suggest are the cleaners that auto paint stores sell to prep paint in-between coats before the final clears go on. They are the mildest type of petroleum based cleaners and are designed not to mess up paint. These types of cleaners are sold under a variety of brand names. Just ask for a paint prep cleaner.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 10-26-19, 05:49 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
Paints are drying oils, so think in terms of how to soften them. A hair dryer will heat the paint spots enough to remove them, but it will take some time. Try the heat method first and use your thumb nails to remove each spot. Smiles, MH
Old 10-26-19, 05:57 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
It might come off with a fingernail, or other simple means. Paint adhesion is all about prep. That beautiful paint job isn't necessarily a good base for the road paint to stick to.

I once removed some spray touch-up spots on a frame with Citristrip from Home Depot. It did not attack the original paint underneath. Small dabs right over the little spots, and it worked.

Best of luck. That bike is so hot!
Old 10-26-19, 06:02 PM
deux jambes

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 196 Posts
Back when I was a finish painter for for a contractor who specialized in high profile custom home interiors, I often had to chance down scuffs on trim and cabinets left by other other types of construction workers. They’d bump in to our fine enamel work and often leave a mark of dirt or some other form of color transfer. If the stuff wasn’t accompanied by a paint chip or a dent, I could often repair the area with a small bit of Soft Scrub in a soft rag. Going over the scuff using light pressure in a a circular motion, followed by wiping with a clean wet rag would restore the “damaged “area.”

Its possible Soft Scrub might work in your situation. If you have some handy, you might try it on an inconspicuous section of your frame.
Old 10-26-19, 06:10 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 643 Posts
I would not use an abrasive. I'm with Doug, an auto supply "bug and tar remover" is the first thing I'd try if a wet rag doesn't work.

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Likes For mpetry912:
Old 10-26-19, 06:26 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26245 Post(s)
Liked 10,228 Times in 7,097 Posts
...depends a lot on what the frame was painted with initially. If that's one of those 80's pearlescent frame paint schemes, the pearl coat is often pretty fragile. I think those might have been painted with a lacquer (at least the ones I've worked on.) But the pearl lacquer over a base color is not all that hard to repair, if you damage it. Just try not to damage it, and as suggested already, start with your least aggressive cleaner, and work from there. I, too, would not use anything with an abrasive in it. Not even a very mild abrasive paste.

I just finished repairing the paint on a pearl white Cinelli. That one came out pretty well with a shell white (Rustoleum) for the color coat in places where it was damaged or gone, and a paint they sell in small cans in hobby shops called "White Lightning". It's a transparent pearl gloss lacquer, so you need to be careful not to lift what's underneath. Experiment on something else, like a piece of conduit or an old steel seat tube if you need to do something like this. If you had a good wax coat on there, the stuff should flake right off with little or no damage to the finish.
Old 10-26-19, 06:40 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did do a hard 32 miles fighting the winds of an incoming cold front right after finding this so I worked off the anger.

I'm dealing with a health issue that's kept me off my CPAP for 9 days now. I need to get some real sleep before I try to tackle this. The paint on the components was coming off with just a fingernail but the stuff on the paint seemed better adhered. I gently tackle this once I'm properly rested and clear of head. I do know quick detailer wax cuts bugs and tar off my car easily so that may be the first thing I try.

Oh and before this was built up I did luck out and found a paint this is pretty much a perfect match for this.

Anyway keep the suggestions coming and I do appreciate the ideas. This is a first for me.
Old 10-26-19, 08:36 PM
Goosecheck 

Bikes: '84 Bianchi Professional, '94 Mongoose Rockadile(Dirt drop conversion), '10 Jamis Eclipse, '71 Peugeot UE8, '17 New Albion Privateer(Rando build), '96 Specialized Crossroads Cruz(Cross build) '72 Peugeot AE8(Porteur Conversion), 2010 Guru Magis

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 40 Posts
Try Goof-off also

As long as the finish is factory painted, a little goof off will get the white paint off without harming the original paint. I use it on factory bicycle and auto paint to take off scuffs and paint-rub from parking lot losers. Never had a problem.
Old 10-26-19, 08:42 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
No one suggested the auto detailer's favorite for overspray, a clay bar. It won't hurt the finish if used correctly, and it's aggressive enough to pull off improperly adhered paint drips from clearcoat.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 10-26-19, 09:36 PM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 363 Posts
Try olive oil.
Old 10-27-19, 05:37 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Had something similar on my Koga. Try some cleaning alcohol first. Mine came off with some extra rubbing using a car polish. Works well on plastic too.
Old 10-27-19, 08:26 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
James,
I would want to check to see if the paint that splattered on your bike has any "abrasive" in it..often times "line" stripping paint has reflective particles that can be abrasive in it in order to make the lines glow in the dark.
Try shinning a light on it while the bike is in the dark...if the speckles glow it contains a grit and may scratch the paint if you are not careful when trying to remove it...light rubbing with liquid of choice while folding the rag with every swipe.
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-27-19, 11:50 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
No one suggested the auto detailer's favorite for overspray, a clay bar. It won't hurt the finish if used correctly, and it's aggressive enough to pull off improperly adhered paint drips from clearcoat.
@Unca_Sam....

i'm glad i ran across this...i think

i picked up a bontrager privateer fairly recently that has obvious white over spray on much of the bike. it's not thick on there....just a haze. it's very likely been on the frame and parts a long time, though. do you think a clay bar would still work? i've never heard of one of those
Old 10-27-19, 03:28 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
@thook

I recently picked up my own used frame with obvious overspray on the left side chainstay. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about removing overspray without rubbing compound and BAM! I'm an expert on using a clay bar!

J/k but auto detailers use them to perfect the finish on show cars. The logic behind it is simple enough, and a few tutorials will help you learn too. I think the key is using a lubricant on the finish (like soapy water) , and using a clean section of clay to avoid dragging contaminants across the finish and scratching it up.

Overspray is essentially a paint job on an unprepared surface, so the overspray can't hold onto the top coat as well as the top coat holds onto a scuffed undercoat.
Old 10-27-19, 04:12 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,835 Times in 1,109 Posts
jamesdak,
Back in 1970 we were all buying Dodge Super Bee's and the six pack was the car of choice, they only made 500 of them, but we all tried different things to set our car apart from the rest. A buddy decided to use a lace pattern paint on the top like the vinyl tops. We waxed it down and then painted a black paint on top of the car like we wanted it. We found out that we could just use normal cleaner wax to remove the top coat of paint, with no damage. I would try the waxing thing before any other process, and then mild heat on the over-paint as I have suggested before. Or even with the cleaner wax with some mild heat. HTH, MH
Old 10-27-19, 09:10 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
@thook

I recently picked up my own used frame with obvious overspray on the left side chainstay. I watched a couple of YouTube videos about removing overspray without rubbing compound and BAM! I'm an expert on using a clay bar!

J/k but auto detailers use them to perfect the finish on show cars. The logic behind it is simple enough, and a few tutorials will help you learn too. I think the key is using a lubricant on the finish (like soapy water) , and using a clean section of clay to avoid dragging contaminants across the finish and scratching it up.

Overspray is essentially a paint job on an unprepared surface, so the overspray can't hold onto the top coat as well as the top coat holds onto a scuffed undercoat.
well, thank you for taking the time to explain a bit. i did do some brief reading about using one this afternoon. i don't really have time to clean the bike right now, but i do have time to research on how to until then. if it's still important enough after winter, perhaps i'll get to it....or just live with it...haha
Old 10-27-19, 10:50 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
this is one time that I DON'T want to see pics. I'm going to pretend it didn't happen and it still looks like the first round of pics

is this some sort of creepy Halloween prank?
Old 11-08-19, 11:09 AM
jamesdak 

Ok, so to update on what is actually working on this. I've been going over it section by section this morning.

First I'd spray the area with some Mequiars Quick Wax as lubricant. Then I took Lysol wipes and started working using my fingernail to break the paint specs loose. It's working well without scratching anything. The hardest part seems to be getting all the now loose specs off the frame. A nappy rag seems to push them around more than pick them up. Same for a wet rag. So I'm going to gently use a clay bar to get all the loose stuff off. The painted surfaces and chrome surfaces are cleaning quite well. Some of the paint on the components seem to be adhered quite well. Once the frame is all cleaned up I'll finally finish this bike up properly. Have some beautiful, and light, WI/Fusion Velocity silver wheels to go on it. They weighed exactly the same as my latest set of Zonda's but silver will look so much better on this than the black rimmed Zonda's. I've also got a beautiful Campagnolo Aero style seatpost that is more fitting than the Thomson for this bike. I'll post up some pics once I get it all done.
Old 11-08-19, 11:19 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Glad to hear it's cleaning up. Can't wait to see it with the component changes.
Old 11-08-19, 11:54 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,736 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Goosecheck
As long as the finish is factory painted, a little goof off will get the white paint off without harming the original paint. I use it on factory bicycle and auto paint to take off scuffs and paint-rub from parking lot losers. Never had a problem.
Personally, I would use goof off as a last resort as I have seen it affect paint surfaces

ymmv

Old 11-08-19, 12:49 PM
jamesdak 

Well, it's pretty much back to normal. Maybe a speck or two of paint I've missed. Well, not counting the paint all over the tires, LOL!

Here's a quick shot with the new wheels and seatpost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.