Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fizik Arctic cycling boots and ALE' winter jacket - wow!

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-08-20, 02:51 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts

I am getting better adapted to riding in the cold. Used to be that 50 degrees was my cutoff. Yesterday I rode in 43 degree temps quite comfortably. I used to underestimate how many layers I needed and how warm my feet needed to be. During the warmer months I told myself to "be on the lookout for winter gear, the deals off season are always better".

So I picked up a pair of Fizik Arctic cycling boots in my size, 46.5 for about 110$ on clearance. Full retail on these is $200. I also picked up an ALE winter cycling jacket for like 85% off list (it supposedly listed for $270, I got it for like $34 on clearance direct from ALE').. I'll have to look and see what the model is called. But that winter jacket is very snug fitting like a winter jersey but warmer. I can get by with wearing thin wool socks with my Arctic boots and not get cold feet. I can get by with a standard Voler long (or even short) sleeve baselayer with the ALE' jacket and be comfortable in the low 40's for up to 2 hours.

Just thought I would share how spending under $150 on apparel is extending my riding range down another 10 degrees. So right now I'm good riding anytime from about 40 degrees on up - easy peasy. Knowing that you are not likely to have hypothermia for hours is freeing. I just kind of got empowered these past 2 weeks that I am still putting in quality miles in January. Just thought I would share.
Likes For masi61:
Old 01-09-20, 03:45 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
The next step is a ski helmet. For me, it was a game changer. I think my tolerance might have gone down 20ºF. It doesn't get below 25ºF here often, so I don't have much occasion to use it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-20, 04:53 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The next step is a ski helmet. For me, it was a game changer. I think my tolerance might have gone down 20ºF. It doesn't get below 25ºF here often, so I don't have much occasion to use it.
That would be crazy! There is a commuter in our town that I see all over the place who has what appears to be a motocross motorcycle helmet that he commutes on. He wears it in the warm weather too. I always thought that he wore it to prevent a facial or dental injury in the event of a crash. Having crashed hard and landed on my face and broken several teeth, I sometimes wonder if cyclists should wear a bite guard like you see football and basketball players wearing.

Back to the discussion of apparel that lets you ride comfortably in lower temperature ranges - I do have a balaclava that is in my glove drawer that I keep forgetting about.