Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Steel plate need to be Blanchard ground?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Steel plate need to be Blanchard ground?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-20, 12:42 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
My thoughts on alignment tables. Granite tables are very flat and comparatively inexpensive. Many of my students don’t choose this option because they are very heavy in the size they want and difficult to move. They may not yet have a permanent shop space or it is someplace fork lift inaccessible. Cast iron tables are awesome but have the same weight problem. They have the advantage over granite in that they don’t chip and magnetic hold downs can be used in a variety of ways on them. Steel slabs an inch thick or less can be ground to decent tolerances and work well. The one we have in Ukraine was poorly ground but has been stable for years. My associate Herbie made his table out of hot rolled flat stock too. He got it cut to exactly the dimensions he needed to fit precisely in his cramped space. He had it Blanchard ground 3 times. The top was ground and then the bottom and then the top again for maximum flatness. He was able to cut and weld the legs and support out of square stock. The whole process cost him less than $1000. This whole process is too much for some beginners to get done themselves.

My Blanchard ground cast aluminum table (with ribs) has worked great. I can flip a frame back and forth between my cast iron table and get the same reading. Its advantage is that they can be ordered in almost any size and is light enough for 2 guys to easily move it around. My top weighs around 170 pounds and the legs are removable. The surface can be scratched if one isn’t careful. However, in years of hard student use that hasn’t been a problem yet. They don’t require luck in finding one, you just have to have $1500/$2000 to buy one. This convenience is an important for some starting out. The Wolverine Bronze Company where I bought mine drilled my post hole for me.

I use my alignment tables as tools and not as some tenderly cared for inspection only table. I do so many tasks on them I can’t imagine not having a full sized one. In my system this is my foundation piece of equipment in my shop. It is far more important to me than my expensive fixtures and give me more accurate results. Of course if I had to I could use a straight edge with an adjustable pointer but I wouldn’t want to. Beams and milling table tops are fine too. A 2’X 3’ is better yet. But I don’t want to be limited. I can ride a century with DT friction shifters. I don’t prefer doing that either.

Thank you Doug. I have looked at the table from Wolverine and think it would be great. Shipping of course almost makes it cost prohibitive. Same goes for the Bringhelli table, which is why I thought of going with steel plate. Good to hear that Herbie made his plate work and it's continuing to work well for him. I think I might be on the right track then.

Do you happen to know how thick of the plate he started with prior to the blanchard grinding process started?
Old 01-28-20, 11:40 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
Do you happen to know how thick of the plate he started with prior to the Blanchard grinding process?
I believe it was an inch thick before grinding.

One of my students used a plate of mic 6 aluminum. As I understand it this kind of aluminum is more stable than others because it is cast and is often used as the base plate for fixtures. He made his 30" X 48". He went to great lengths to get it flat although he said it comes pretty flat to start with. He worked at a place that had a big router that they used to face an entire side. In addition to lots of C channel support, he also had screw jacks underneath to tune the plate flatter. He had thick MDF board between the supports and the aluminum .

My concern for building an alignment table is that for many, too much fabrication really means they don't have the resources or skills to make one for themselves so they can't get started making frames. That is why a cast aluminum table from Wolverine Bronze is a good option for some (if they have the money). I've said this before but just in case it has been forgotten, it is possible to use a woodworking table saw top as an alignment surface. This year 2 of my frame building class students had access to a table saw and used that as a reference to build their next frame after class.
Old 01-28-20, 01:18 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
My understanding is that mic 6 is blanchard ground. It sure looks like it anyway. They also stress relieve it, I have a piece showing up today so I can mount an encoder to my lathe on something flat
Old 01-28-20, 01:58 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
My concern for building an alignment table is that for many, too much fabrication really means they don't have the resources or skills to make one for themselves so they can't get started making frames. That is why a cast aluminum table from Wolverine Bronze is a good option for some (if they have the money). I've said this before but just in case it has been forgotten, it is possible to use a woodworking table saw top as an alignment surface. This year 2 of my frame building class students had access to a table saw and used that as a reference to build their next frame after class.
A kitchen counter is often sufficient. Sub-millimeter tolerances aren't an issue if you're building a one-off frame for your own use. Building for paying customers is another matter.
Old 01-28-20, 02:50 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
I've said this before but just in case it has been forgotten, it is possible to use a woodworking table saw top as an alignment surface.
I don't recall this (but I flit all around so many well have missed it). This is good news for me, as I have my dad's old Craftsman table saw, solid iron top and webbed extensions. No pix or dimensions at the moment, because it's up at the vacation place, but it's basically this (hopefully at this point with less rust than this example):

Old 01-28-20, 07:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
Various posters have reported on using various surfaces for a plate. Counter tops, grave stones, milling machine tables, table saws, glass plates and my favorite and a really cool idea: poured epoxy. Andy
Old 01-28-20, 08:46 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Various posters have reported on using various surfaces for a plate. Counter tops, grave stones, milling machine tables, table saws, glass plates and my favorite and a really cool idea: poured epoxy. Andy
Thanks for bringing this option back to our attention Andy. One of my frame building class students (who was a retired engineer) did make a full size epoxy table from materials he bought at Home Depot. When I last checked a gallon of this this kind of epoxy cost a bit more than $100 a gallon. He put MDF board on top of wood legs and sides. I never saw the table myself but he reported it worked great. I've heard that the epoxy will lip up a bit on the edges (there needs to be a fence around the top so the liquid epoxy stays there before it hardens) but that shouldn't have much if any effect on its function. I think he said the total cost was less than $400. I would assume a post could be attached to the MDF board before the epoxy was poured.

Wolverine Bronze company reported to me that their business of making aluminum cast bases has greatly declined because of the increase in use of poured epoxy. My impression for the reason more beginning frame builders haven't used an epoxy poured alignment table is because no one that has done this has reported about it on a frame building forum.
Old 01-28-20, 10:45 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

It was a post/thread in this or another builders forum quite a few years ago that clued me in to epoxy surfaces. Seems that some the high end race prep shops are using them for their frame alignment too. Andy
Old 01-29-20, 06:16 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I have used a cnc machine made with it. The reference surfaces are laid into it, analogous to Doug's idea of embedding the post
Old 01-29-20, 09:03 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Since we're talking about such things, I did some looking and found a 16x35" milling table can get for around $200. The same place has a 3x4' granite table for $500, but that's too much of a financial and logistical project to take on right now. Question I have is, is a 16x35" table worth having to start off with, and If I eventually end up with a proper surface plate, would the milling machine table be a good base for a 8020 extrusion based building jig?
Old 01-29-20, 09:20 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Yes and yes. Although the jig use would end up weighing a lot. One feature in a jig that is real nice to have is the ability to tilt and rotate the jig during the tacking, a 200+ jig would be a bit awkward to pivot about with one hand while the other hold the flame. Andy
Old 01-29-20, 09:29 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Servo motors an foot pedals I guess...
Old 01-29-20, 09:58 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I used a machine table as a jig a few years back. I had other parts though. Just tacking, the fact you can't move it is not that important. It wasn't big enough to check alignment, so I used my milling machine's table for that. I would estimate it's about 16x30-ish. Plenty big enough.
Old 01-29-20, 10:02 AM
bark_eater 

Anyone know how long Bringheli's alignment C channel is?
Old 01-29-20, 11:52 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by bark_eater
Since we're talking about such things, I did some looking and found a 16x35" milling table can get for around $200. The same place has a 3x4' granite table for $500, but that's too much of a financial and logistical project to take on right now. Question I have is, is a 16x35" table worth having to start off with, and If I eventually end up with a proper surface plate, would the milling machine table be a good base for a 8020 extrusion based building jig?
One of the interesting things about frame building is that most of us do it in different ways. This is partly due to how we learned and also an adaptation of the tooling we were able to get and modified for our own purposes. Getting a milling table for $200 is a good start (although not how I would start). The money would not be lost if you were able later to get a full sized table. Some other beginner would find that an attractive price for his 1st alignment tool too.

I would not be interested in an 80/20 vertical fixture for many reasons but 1st among those is that 80/20 is not accurate nor cheap enough for me to want one. I'm not critical if it works for others. The popularity of vertical or through axle dropouts makes building an accurate rear triangle very challenging. In the classic era builders were able to use horizontal dropouts with screw adjusters to solve the wheel centering problem. My solution has been to start with a very flat surface and adjust my tube holders on the fixture laying on that flat surface so everything is in plane. Just for reference, i'm a spot only in the fixture and braze free guy.

If I was to start again on a very limited budget I would make a 30" X 48" table out of MDF and put a piece of sheet metal on top of it so hot dripping flux wouldn't bother it. I would support it underneath with something solid that could be moved a bit with screw jacks so it could be tuned even flatter using a precision straight edge. Or better yet just pour epoxy over the top and let gravity level it perfectly. Of course I haven't needed to try so my idea is just a theory.
Old 01-29-20, 02:33 PM
bark_eater 

I get that "Jigging up", check alignment and cold setting are different operations.
So I'd like to confirm what I would be able to do off of a 16x35" mill table, and would it compliment a larger light weight flat surface that would not be used for cold setting?
Old 01-29-20, 03:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think most frames are longer than that, head tube to dropout. You would not be able to check alignment for the whole frame at once. So it's like the Bringhelli c channel in that regard
Old 01-29-20, 03:22 PM
BigPoser

For some reason I had forgotten about the epoxy route. That would be a great way to go. I could put the holes in where I want before the epoxy gets poured and I can make as big as I want. If they use them for race cars it's gotta be good for bike frames.

I wonder if it's strong enough to handle some minor cold setting?

Anyone know?
Old 01-29-20, 03:50 PM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Anyone know how long Bringheli's alignment C channel is?
I believe it's about 8 inches wide and 24 -28 inches long. I'm going off of memory but I don't think that's far off and it's certainly smaller than the 16x35 mentioned. the nice thing about the milling table is mounting a post will be a snap!

Separately, when the weather heats up a bit here in Seattle, I'm going to be pouring epoxy over the top of oak flooring I'm using on top of a roughly 30x40" work table. I will report back with update. It'll be a few months so don't hold your breath.
Old 01-29-20, 04:12 PM
bark_eater 

Well.... I don't want pretend to be an expert, but I did make a meager living doing things with wood and various adhesives, and I probably wouldn't take your money If you asked me to put epoxy over oak flooring to try and have a stable surface. Oak can be pretty stable if its been drying for a long time but its still going to move a lot compared to MDF. Any wood product is going to to need to be compleatly encapsulated to limit moisture flow, and particularly with something like a plank the back side will need to be fully covered with epoxy or the back will expand more than the front and each board will cup. Other concerns are that epoxy doesn't realy stick to Oak that well. White oak has a waxy substance in its "pores" and doesn't let the epoxy soak in. Red Oak will accept the epoxy better but is less stable and the acidic nature of the wood can cause some issues but thats probably not relevant here.
Old 01-29-20, 04:23 PM
bark_eater 

If I was going to build a composite structure i would be tempted to start with a steel frame with a full epoxy coated MDF or HDF top. And then I would figure out how to float a piece of thick "Float" glass on top of a layer of epoxy. Getting it done with out trapping air bubbles would require some trickery. It would be flat and much more durable than an Epoxy surface. You wouldn't be able to lever on it though.
Old 01-30-20, 01:02 AM
duanedr 

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 88 Posts
Well.... I don't want pretend to be an expert, but I did make a meager living doing things with wood and various adhesives, and I probably wouldn't take your money If you asked me to put epoxy over oak flooring to try and have a stable surface. Oak can be pretty stable if its been drying for a long time but its still going to move a lot compared to MDF. Any wood product is going to to need to be compleatly encapsulated to limit moisture flow, and particularly with something like a plank the back side will need to be fully covered with epoxy or the back will expand more than the front and each board will cup. Other concerns are that epoxy doesn't realy stick to Oak that well. White oak has a waxy substance in its "pores" and doesn't let the epoxy soak in. Red Oak will accept the epoxy better but is less stable and the acidic nature of the wood can cause some issues but thats probably not relevant here.
Interesting. I wasn't really concerned about stability in terms of it making a 'flat' surface for measuring but it sounds like you're saying it won't even hold together! I have a hundred or so square feet of quarter sawn oak flooring from our house remodel that has been hanging in the rafters for the past 10 years. It was in the house for the prior 70 or so years. I have a stainless table from a commercial kitchen that is roughly 30"x40". I was going to glue the oak to the table top and then sand it (it's finished with typical Swedish finish) and pour on a layer of epoxy. It's only a work surface near my mill/lathe so if it expands/contracts a bit that's fine. If it's going to disintegrate or buckle then that's bad and I will not go this route. I have 2 granite surface plates for measuring, a marble table for rough measuring/layout and then a work surface of phenolic resin from a school science lab that was a great find. I find I can't have enough 'pretty flat' surfaces in the shop for laying out various projects.
Old 01-30-20, 08:47 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think the machine tables built with epoxy have some kind of filler. Doesn't seem to be metal filled, but that would work. Maybe they get granite dust?

I think I would remove the forms. My granite is mounted on some rubber sheet that is intended to conform a little. A rubber block wouldn't' work too well, because rubber is incompressible.

If Bringhelli made the c channel in his back yard shop, 30" is a pretty big machine. I have a monster bridgeport, and it only has 30" of travel. I wouldn't want to try to make a 30" long flat surface on it.
Old 01-30-20, 10:41 AM
bark_eater 

As far as a wood covered work table, if I was trying to do this I would glue all the boards together with wood glue. Id over hang the stainless table top a couple inches and screw angle iron to the under side of the oak plank. the angle iron should have 1/4 slots cut across the direction of the wood grain so that the top can move with out tearing the screws out. You could use epoxy as a seal coat over the wood top, bottom and edges, and then top coat with a floor grade polyurethane. Don't sand the oak with more than 100 grit sand paper and wipe the surfaces down with alcohol before epoxy coating. Then after the epoxy fully cures, the epoxied surface should be washed and scrubbed with soap and water and a scotch bright pad, because a lot of epoxy's will form a waxy amine blush on the surface as they cure. I would then glue the top to the stainless table with a window and door polyurethane caulking.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 01-31-20, 10:56 AM
BigPoser

How would this be? I have a buddy that can build me a table for it. I'd have to figure out the best way for me to drill holes in it, like Duane did but not bad otherwise. Is 0.0004 good enough? I'd think it would be.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00150078

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.