Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Very heavy rider

Old 02-21-20, 10:17 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
congrats 200 lb loss........what type of riding going to do and what type of bike are you looking for....... where you are now you can get and ride almost anything, just keep the spoke count up on the wheels....

if you are going to mostly road really consider a drop bar bike, much better ergonomically and more position options.
Thanks! I'm looking at something a bit trail-oriented that would also work on rail-trails and gravel. So hybrids, adventure, and hardtail MTBs mostly. I plan to ride in some of the areas in which I've been hiking--gravel and dirt trails with some hills--as well as rail trails. An LBS has a NOS 2018 Rocky Mountain Fusion 40 that I hope to try next week. The shop owner needed to order something for it. (The shop is apparently changing its business model). I'm hopeful it'll be a good fit and choice. (Here's a link to the model on Rocky Mountain's site if you're curious).

For drop-bars I still have a 1990 (or thereabout) Schwinn Worldsport I want to eventually restore with the help of a co-op.
Old 02-23-20, 05:20 AM
breadbin

Bikes: Raleigh 531c, Marin Muirwoods, Brodie Romax

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd stick with the Schwinn but I know the new bike fever is hard to beat😁. I'm the heaviest I ever was at 157kg. About 350lbs. I have an old Raleigh 531c steel that never gives out and an aluminium Brodie Romax that seems to be holding up well enough. I just have to use them more! Will you get a warranty with the new bike? Make sure to check that out. Rocky mountain used to be amazing bikes but now I think they're regular chinesium.
Old 02-23-20, 06:13 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Just remember, weight loss is not going to just occur by bicycling. Biking is huge amount of fun, but It's an overall lifestyle change. Trust me when I say, it's not easy and is easy to get discouraged, but don't. Going from 537 pounds myself and am still hovering around 290 pounds without surgery I have found that the first few hundred pounds easy to shed, but it does take a lot more work to lose more. It will be difficult, but once you get below 400 pounds, you are going to notice huge changes on what you can do compared to what you could not when above 500.

I'm still amazed at how long I had imprisoned myself in my own body and how much more freedom I have earned for myself.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 02-24-20, 08:43 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by breadbin
I'd stick with the Schwinn but I know the new bike fever is hard to beat😁. I'm the heaviest I ever was at 157kg. About 350lbs. I have an old Raleigh 531c steel that never gives out and an aluminium Brodie Romax that seems to be holding up well enough. I just have to use them more! Will you get a warranty with the new bike? Make sure to check that out. Rocky mountain used to be amazing bikes but now I think they're regular chinesium.
I intend to fix up the Schwinn, but it was a bit jarring on local gravel roads even back then, and I'm looking to go on rougher trails this time. I'll see how the Rocky Mountain feels. I'm fairly certain it'll have a warranty as it's an unsold 2018 from an authorized dealer, but I'll double check.
Old 03-05-20, 06:32 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,413 Times in 2,522 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
When you first try the bike, perhaps put the seat intentionally too low, so you can easily touch the ground while working on balance and getting used to the movement.
But don't plan to keep it that way, it's not good for knees long term to have the seat too low (or too high: too low is hard on front of knees, too high is hard on back of knees).

Imagine walking up stairs without ever letting yourself fully extend your leg, how much harder that would be. That's what it is to ride with a seat too low.

There's plenty other info about proper seat height around BF, but my favorite rule of thumb is, if you ride with your heels on the pedal spindles, you should end up with locked-straight legs. Then when you properly put the balls of your feet above the pedal spindles, you'll have just enough knee bend. If your hips rock side-to-side, the seat is too high.

Congrats on getting into cycling! Let us know how the worksman works, man!
Old 03-06-20, 10:41 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
As much as our hearts are warmed by threads like this I wish more of us could do the hard work of being real about someone's chances of making something like this work. The o.p. would have been better advised to get a recumbent trike. Maybe an upright trike but some kind of stable human powered vehicle. I personally would have recommended an elliptical machine and some kind of effective rapid weight loss method of losing at least 200lb. before thinking about a bike purchase. What is anonymity and a total lack of any accountability good for if you can't use it to be brutally honest and therefore helpful?
Likes For Leisesturm: