Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt maps?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt maps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-20, 03:58 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by drewguy
If I want to find a place to eat when I bike through a town, I'd pull out my phone.
Well, here's an actual example. I was on a weekend tour with my son in Door County, WI. Got off the ferry on Washington Island and had to get to the campground. Well, no cellular service of consequence, so I found it in the POI (Point of Interest) list in my bike computer and I navigated to that. It was about 4-5 miles away and not something you can just ride with your phone in your hand and get to. So two problems - (1) no cellular and (2) had to handhold thing thing.

That's the whole problem with the "find it on my phone" thing: not the easiest thing to any navigation of even minor consequence if there is any distance involved. Fairly basic navigation function found in most bike computers. That's to the point where the Wahoo navigation is just about as low as you can go and still call it navigation - I would hesitate to use the word "basic" to describe it. "Barest of bare bones" is more accurate.

J.
Old 02-20-20, 04:29 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3223 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80

That's the whole problem with the "find it on my phone" thing: not the easiest thing to any navigation of even minor consequence if there is any distance involved. Fairly basic navigation function found in most bike computers. That's to the point where the Wahoo navigation is just about as low as you can go and still call it navigation - I would hesitate to use the word "basic" to describe it. "Barest of bare bones" is more accurate.

J.
John, I agree with about all you’ve typed, except, it’s certainly possible to navigate with a phone. If you wonder how, go watch Darren Alff on his YT channel The Bicycle Touring Pro. He has been bike touring well on 20 years now, pretty much all year or 6 mos. of each, never once used a dedicated GPS, does all his navigation with an Android smartphone. This includes some extremely remote areas in northern Sweden, Finland and Norway as well as the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

I wouldn’t do this, not what I call (and what you describe) a great solution. I much prefer my Garmin 1030, but somehow people do get away with it !
Old 02-20-20, 10:25 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by Steve B.
John, I agree with about all you’ve typed, except, it’s certainly possible to navigate with a phone. If you wonder how, go watch Darren Alff on his YT channel The Bicycle Touring Pro. He has been bike touring well on 20 years now, pretty much all year or 6 mos. of each, never once used a dedicated GPS, does all his navigation with an Android smartphone. This includes some extremely remote areas in northern Sweden, Finland and Norway as well as the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

I wouldn’t do this, not what I call (and what you describe) a great solution. I much prefer my Garmin 1030, but somehow people do get away with it !
sure. I’m a big fan of Waze and Google Maps on my phone.

My original premise was that the Wahoo navigation capabilities on their bike computers (one of which I own) are the barest of bare bones navigation capability. Their strong suit is in data recording and reliability, it’s not in navigation.

If you’re going to go from point A to point B and will not vary from the proscribed route and if there are not map inaccuracies and you don’t need street names and if you will need no other information from the bike computer along your route, then its workable.

If navigation is important to you while cycling, pick something else.
Old 02-21-20, 07:09 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Thanks for all the useful back and forth. I did make a decision earlier this week and jumped at a Sigma ROX 12 kit on sale for $299 (with HRM and cadence/speed sensor). I also sold by Lezyne on eBay so the overall hit wasn't too bad.

I think the ROX gets me everything I'm looking for (the nice maps, POI, komoot integration, audible turns) EXCEPT live tracking which seems to be lacking in the Karoo, too--maybe they haven't figured out how to pair an Android bike computer to a phone. That seems like it should be doable with BT. I don't know. Anyway, I already use the tracking feature in Google Maps so that will have to suffice. It's supposed to be delivered this coming Monday. I'm looking forward to it.

Paul
Old 02-21-20, 07:23 PM
JohnJ80

Originally Posted by pennpaul
Thanks for all the useful back and forth. I did make a decision earlier this week and jumped at a Sigma ROX 12 kit on sale for $299 (with HRM and cadence/speed sensor). I also sold by Lezyne on eBay so the overall hit wasn't too bad.

I think the ROX gets me everything I'm looking for (the nice maps, POI, komoot integration, audible turns) EXCEPT live tracking which seems to be lacking in the Karoo, too--maybe they haven't figured out how to pair an Android bike computer to a phone. That seems like it should be doable with BT. I don't know. Anyway, I already use the tracking feature in Google Maps so that will have to suffice. It's supposed to be delivered this coming Monday. I'm looking forward to it.

Paul
live tracking is available in the Karoo in an update about a month ago.
Old 02-21-20, 08:59 PM
pennpaul

live tracking is available in the Karoo in an update about a month ago.
Good. Then there's hope for the ROX.
Old 02-22-20, 06:50 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Well, here's an actual example. I was on a weekend tour with my son in Door County, WI. Got off the ferry on Washington Island and had to get to the campground. Well, no cellular service of consequence, so I found it in the POI (Point of Interest) list in my bike computer and I navigated to that. It was about 4-5 miles away and not something you can just ride with your phone in your hand and get to. So two problems - (1) no cellular and (2) had to handhold thing thing.
These two problems are not unavoidable. They are mostly an example of "doing it wrong".

People using cell phones for (non-casual) should use them in a way that doesn't require a cellular network or holding them in their hands while they ride. Which isn't that hard to do.

One issue is getting a comprehensive and current POI database (OSM is weak for that).

One weakness of cycling nav units is looking at maps with their small screens and slow CPUs. Smart phones are great for that.
​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-22-20 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-22-20, 06:53 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
does Garmin do anything to the OSM maps? My experience with maps that people sell is they are really out of date, but maybe Garmin is better at that.
Old 02-22-20, 07:06 AM
njkayaker

I think I read that Garmin units are setup by region so if you go outside the US, you'd have to buy those maps (like their original GPS units for cars).
You can buy maps for the Garmins but you can get free maps too.

​​​​​​Using free maps (mostly based on OSM) is generally the better option since you can get current maps for just the region you need.
Old 02-22-20, 07:40 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Garmin charges a nominal fee for the OSM maps. I tried to talk a friend into just d/l France from openfeitsmaps, but he got the Garmin version of Europe instead. $20

Of course it didn't work
Old 02-22-20, 08:35 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by unterhausen
does Garmin do anything to the OSM maps? My experience with maps that people sell is they are really out of date, but maybe Garmin is better at that.
They change the look. They also provide their own POI database. They update them one to two times a year (people get free updates for the map that came with the device).

Garmin charges a nominal fee for the OSM maps.
The fee is nominal but it doesn't include updates.

For most people, downloading the free maps a couple of weeks before their trip for just the region they need makes more sense.

Last edited by njkayaker; 02-22-20 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-22-20, 09:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I recently got a free update to the maps on my 830. Never had any reason to complain. I don't rely on POI at all, I should probably look at them.
Old 02-22-20, 09:52 AM
njkayaker

I recently got a free update to the maps on my 830. Never had any reason to complain. I don't rely on POI at all, I should probably look at them.
The City Navigator maps that were standard on older units were not updated (generally, you'd have to repurchase them, which most people never did). Compared to that, updates once or twice a year is generally reasonable.

I've made OSM edits for trips, so being able to get up-to-date maps is useful for that.

From what I can see, the OSM POIs are spotty. Garmin collects POIs for their other products (and it's possible they get money for placing some of them).

I think most people look up POIs on their smartphones.
Old 02-22-20, 07:07 PM
JohnJ80

Good. Then there's hope for the ROX.
not following you here - they’re unrelated.

Check the Sigma updates schedule, but I think update schedule is fairly long intervals. That might give you some insight into when to expect new features.
Old 02-22-20, 07:32 PM
pennpaul

not following you here - they’re unrelated.

Check the Sigma updates schedule, but I think update schedule is fairly long intervals. That might give you some insight into when to expect new features.
They're both (karoo and Rox) Android based devices so the lack of live tracking wasn't because of that. Anyway, the live tracking works through Google maps so I'm good.
Old 02-23-20, 07:02 AM
JohnJ80

They're both (karoo and Rox) Android based devices so the lack of live tracking wasn't because of that. Anyway, the live tracking works through Google maps so I'm good.
for that matter, Wahoo is android based too. No bearing on feature support.

I agree live tracking is better handled outside the bike computer. Solutions like that are very low power like Find my Friends (on iOS) are better than what you get on a bike computer.
Old 02-23-20, 07:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

for that matter, Wahoo is android based too. No bearing on feature support.

I agree live tracking is better handled outside the bike computer. Solutions like that are very low power like Find my Friends (on iOS) are better than what you get on a bike computer.
If Garmin could ever get off their collective butts and fix LiveTrack, it is a very good system. You enable it ON in the Mobile app and when you start a ride it automatically notifies whomever via e-mail that you are out on the bike. Or that the GPS is going somewhere. No futzing with the smartphone to start another app and I generally only want to be tracked when I'm on the bike. If Garmin were really on the ball they would give you an option to send a tracking link out of your phone as a text message to somebody. Like my wife, who gets inundated by e-mails and never notices my LiveTrack notification.
Old 02-23-20, 07:58 AM
JohnJ80

If Garmin could ever get off their collective butts and fix LiveTrack, it is a very good system. You enable it ON in the Mobile app and when you start a ride it automatically notifies whomever via e-mail that you are out on the bike. Or that the GPS is going somewhere. No futzing with the smartphone to start another app and I generally only want to be tracked when I'm on the bike. If Garmin were really on the ball they would give you an option to send a tracking link out of your phone as a text message to somebody. Like my wife, who gets inundated by e-mails and never notices my LiveTrack notification.
with Find My Friends you grant access for a period of time to others and they can follow you. No emails, texts required, doesn’t require the bike computer and doesn’t require that start anything. Very low friction. We have everyone in our family on it with permanent access granted. No power is used until someone requests your location so no hit on battery either.

The problem with tracking using a bike computer is that it is one more connection and one more thing to go wrong at a time when you need it all to work right. Bike computer to phone connection often are unreliable - especially so with Garmin at least I’m my experience.
Old 02-23-20, 08:32 AM
Steve B.

with Find My Friends you grant access for a period of time to others and they can follow you. No emails, texts required, doesn’t require the bike computer and doesn’t require that start anything. Very low friction. We have everyone in our family on it with permanent access granted. No power is used until someone requests your location so no hit on battery either.

The problem with tracking using a bike computer is that it is one more connection and one more thing to go wrong at a time when you need it all to work right. Bike computer to phone connection often are unreliable - especially so with Garmin at least I’m my experience.
Presumably (I admit to having never used FMF) you have to have *some* user input to setup the time window to be tracked ?. Maybe you can leave this for certain times you *might* be on a bike ?, or and if you are riding at a time outside any you've established you now need to enable that slot ?. Or you just leave it as "8AM to 6PM M-Sun" ?, in order to eliminate any user input.

LiveTrack on Garmin actually better meets your requirement of reducing that additional potential need for user input. If you are using your Garmin to track every ride, than LT is always going to activate, no user selection needed once you do the initial setup of Enable and an e-mail address, things you have to set up with FMF in any event.

A bit of a silly discussion except it's useful to know there are apps like FMF for when you do want to be tracked and when Garmin is doing it's silly BS and cannot enable LT. Maybe they'll really get this fixed someday.
Old 02-23-20, 12:13 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I have thought about what a good bike computer has that a smartphone doesn't have. Smartphones already have perfectly good GPS, many are waterproof. The list that I came up with is
  • ANT+ support
  • Battery life
  • Button-based interface
  • Barometric altimeter
Battery life and button-based interface could both be addressed through a specialized case (and a supporting app)—there are already battery-extender cases and cases with special shutter-release buttons for the camera. ANT+ support would be more of a challenge. It might be possible to build an ANT+ to Bluetooth gateway into a case, although these days, you could just about get away with Bluetooth Low Energy devices. An altimeter, likewise, seems like a "nice to have," not a "must have."

There's also the reassurance that you're not putting all your technological eggs in one basket, I guess.

Last edited by adamrice; 02-23-20 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 01:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I like to set my phone up as backup with offline maps and the same route as I am following on my garmin. I am not sure about my current phone, but my previous phone would burn battery so fast when navigating that it couldn't be charged. This happened particularly often in remote areas

My phone would work on short rides when I don't need it.
Old 02-23-20, 05:42 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
We have very different ideas about what useful navigation is. It is possible to navigate with a wahoo product but it is at the very low end of what bike navigation is and in comparison to available choices. Map information is severely lacking including street names, resolution and quality of the map compared to most other available products in the bike computer business. And yes, I do consider street names to be a key part of navigation.

To your point, you'd care about Elm street if you were riding along and maybe you talked to someone who suggested a stop at place on Elm street. Or, maybe, you're riding along and there's a construction project that has the route torn up and the sign says that the bike route continues on Elm street with no other signage (actual case for us). Or you're on an all day ride and you enter a town and you want something to eat and you decide to cycle off to coffee shop but you don't want to disturb the route in the computer so you go to the displayed POI which also gives the street.

Maybe you're different than us in that you rigidly follow a preplanned route with no deviations. Our experience riding all over the US and in Europe is that we hardly ever follow a route without deviations. So our choice is a more complete navigation product than the Wahoo Element/Bolt/Roam. FWIW, we both have Elemnts and have used them extensively. We also own Garmin Edge 1000 and two Hammerhead Karoo's. Of those, the Wahoo is the distant last choice for navigation and not the product that we would recommend if that's an important function in your bike computer usage - for that we'd pick something different and more complete. You may feel differently.

J.
Would you recommend the best unit for navigation? I don't care about Strava syncing and other features like HRM or power output. I'm just trying to easily create routes (ride with GPS for example) and go places. I never do well trying to rely on the phone.

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 02-23-20 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 06:51 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
Would you recommend the best unit for navigation? I don't care about Strava syncing and other features like HRM or power output. I'm just trying to easily create routes (ride with GPS for example) and go places. I never do well trying to rely on the phone.
Garmin Edge Explore. It’s almost the size of the 1030, bigger than the 830, priced at the 530 ($250). Doesn’t have the training or power functionality of the other models, but shares the maps on a good sized screen. There is as well an app you can add to the device in the iQ section (kind of Garmins version of apps for a smartphone), called RouteCourse (free). It can access using the BlueTooth connection to a smartphone that has the Garmin Connect Mobile App, and allows an very easy download of a route you’ve created in RWGPS.

Navigation on Garmin is very good, with excellent Turn By Turn directions as well as a very good map.
Old 02-23-20, 07:15 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Garmin Edge Explore. It’s almost the size of the 1030, bigger than the 830, priced at the 530 ($250). Doesn’t have the training or power functionality of the other models, but shares the maps on a good sized screen. There is as well an app you can add to the device in the iQ section (kind of Garmins version of apps for a smartphone), called RouteCourse (free). It can access using the BlueTooth connection to a smartphone that has the Garmin Connect Mobile App, and allows an very easy download of a route you’ve created in RWGPS.

Navigation on Garmin is very good, with excellent Turn By Turn directions as well as a very good map.
Wow I didn't know that even existed! Looks about perfect, as it eliminates so many features I don't need or care about. I just like to ride multi-day rides and get where I want to go (planning a Lake Hartwell, GA - Cherokee, NC - Asheville, NC - Greenville, NC, and back to Lake Hartwell in mid-March). Comes with maps (unlike my Etrex) Price looks good too.

Thank you!

Last edited by Ridefreemc; 02-23-20 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 08:40 PM
JohnJ80

Presumably (I admit to having never used FMF) you have to have *some* user input to setup the time window to be tracked ?. Maybe you can leave this for certain times you *might* be on a bike ?, or and if you are riding at a time outside any you've established you now need to enable that slot ?. Or you just leave it as "8AM to 6PM M-Sun" ?, in order to eliminate any user input.

LiveTrack on Garmin actually better meets your requirement of reducing that additional potential need for user input. If you are using your Garmin to track every ride, than LT is always going to activate, no user selection needed once you do the initial setup of Enable and an e-mail address, things you have to set up with FMF in any event.

A bit of a silly discussion except it's useful to know there are apps like FMF for when you do want to be tracked and when Garmin is doing it's silly BS and cannot enable LT. Maybe they'll really get this fixed someday.
If you just want casual location sharing, then it doesn’t really matter which you pick and use and having a bike computer in the loop is fine. If you care about it for safety reasons, then I think getting the bike computer complexity and lack of reliability out of the equation is of primary importance. In that case things like Find My Friends work well or a variety others (pick your favorite). So figuring that out first is the most important criteria.

Originally Posted by Ridefreemc
I really like my Hammerhead Karoo for navigation so that would be my recommendation. They are out of stock right now due to the coronavirus issue in Asia, but that would be my first choice.

If you had to have it right now today, then the next best thing might by Sigma ROX 12 or some of the Garmin products depending on features you would want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.