Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Brifter Modifications

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Brifter Modifications

Old 02-24-20, 09:57 AM
RMabus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brifter Modifications

Hello all. Quick question then some detail if that is ok. Has anyone ever ground off the backside of a brifter before to shorten the reach?

Here is my background. If you look at the major component companies It think Shimano has the farthest reach from the bar to the outside/front of the brifter. I think sram has the shortest. Anyway I am working on a fit issue for my son and for that matter juniors. I notice they tend to have a bit of a goofy posture on the hoods sometimes and after drilling down with some questions I think it is really a fit issue between the bar and the brifter. I was looking at the backside of an old DA brifter body the other day and I think you could feasibly take a dremel to it and take some material off the back side. I know this will void warranties, and I know this is probably not necessarily recommended in the mainstream world, but I figured I would see if anyone has tried with or without issue. Thanks.
Old 02-24-20, 11:19 AM
RMabus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RMabus
Hello all. Quick question then some detail if that is ok. Has anyone ever ground off the backside of a brifter before to shorten the reach?

Here is my background. If you look at the major component companies It think Shimano has the farthest reach from the bar to the outside/front of the brifter. I think sram has the shortest. Anyway I am working on a fit issue for my son and for that matter juniors. I notice they tend to have a bit of a goofy posture on the hoods sometimes and after drilling down with some questions I think it is really a fit issue between the bar and the brifter. I was looking at the backside of an old DA brifter body the other day and I think you could feasibly take a dremel to it and take some material off the back side. I know this will void warranties, and I know this is probably not necessarily recommended in the mainstream world, but I figured I would see if anyone has tried with or without issue. Thanks.

Actually not sure why this had not hit me. Might try to put some Sugru behind the "Knub" of the brifter(under the hood). in order to back up the reach some. This may be a much better way to solve for this without impacting the integrity of the body of the brifter.
Old 02-24-20, 01:00 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
I've seen people use an adhesive backed rubber cut to fit behind the head of a shifter. Guess that's what you are saying?
Old 02-24-20, 01:30 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3878 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,377 Posts
I don't get the above. Why would someone want to increase reach to the lever for people with small hands? If it's just a reach issue, put on a set of compact bars. What's more common is reach to the lever from the drops. There's usually a way to adjust that.
Old 02-24-20, 04:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
He's talking about a juvenile, so it would be about grip reach.
Old 02-25-20, 05:13 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
I have very small hands as an adult so I understand the problems.
There are two approaches which should be worked together. Shimano make shims to fit brifters (well they used to anyway) to reduce the reach to the lever. Some Shimano brifters I believe have an adjustment screw to adjust reach.
The shape/curves in the handlebars are important too. The modern trend of "ergo" (sic, ergonomic my foot) increase the reach to the levers compared to a traditional curved bar. Ditch the "ergo" handlebars and find some with a more traditional curve.

Another thing is to not adjust the brake cables too tight. Leave some slack in the brake cables so that the initial travel of the brake levers is slack and only when the levers are closer to the handlebars do you need any force on them. There is plenty of room for slackening off the brake cables before you even get close to bottoming out the lever.