Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Carbo Loading LIX

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-20, 10:58 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by expatbrit
You and me both, Mr. Horse. I've been a telecommuter since 2007 or so, and have an office setup over my garage. It's a small space, only just bigger than the two-car garage itself, and has views out over the Sandia mountains to the east if I ever look up.

Lately, a bike has also been in here on a trainer for Zwift, though it's carefully placed to hide it from the videoconferencing unit.

I actually kinda miss the travel. Without it, how would I ever have got to meet @jsigone and be ignored by the rest of you so totally...
Funny, you hear a lot more kid and dog related noises in the background on calls lately, but nobody seems to mind. My two dogs like to wait until JUUUUUUST after I call in somewhere to start arguing about who gets which bone.
Old 03-28-20, 11:06 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Funny, you hear a lot more kid and dog related noises in the background on calls lately, but nobody seems to mind. My two dogs like to wait until JUUUUUUST after I call in somewhere to start arguing about who gets which bone.
My home office is upstairs with a door between me and the dogs. It's more to stop me disturbing the girl when I'm talking on incessant conference calls than anything else!
Old 03-28-20, 01:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
And here is why, as of a few weeks ago, I would NEVER recommend a Wahoo computer to anyone for any reason:

You see, they don't use power data AT ALL for calories. They use an algorithm. So for me, a 10% reduction in intensity is a 60% reduction in calories.
Thirteen calories per mile? NOT ON YOUR LIFE.
Old 03-30-20, 07:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Um, you tracking calories there doc?
Say, does Strava give you the kCal from wahoo or do they calculate their own? I'm a little annoyed with strava right now anyway.
Old 03-30-20, 08:03 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

It would appear that Strava now just takes whatever the GPS unit gives them for calories, and Wahoo derives theirs from HR + algorithm. My Karoo and the Garmin before that both went right off of 1kJ = 1kCal, as it should be. Wahoo support told me that their computers don't use power data at all for their calorie number. Had I known this, I never would have bought it in the first place. I mean sure-- it's not really that big a deal, I have a kJ number right there-- but I'm also now enslaved by the Apple Watch, and feel I must close the rings every day. Getting 280kCal for a 21 mile bike ride doesn't much help. I did a 5K walk immediately after that ride.
Old 03-30-20, 08:51 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I can't get my strava or garmin data into apple health to save my life. Well, that's not entirely true but there does seem to be a 4 day lag in there. The last ride that showed up was 3/27. Weird.
Old 03-30-20, 08:56 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Yeah, Strava got really laggy a little while back. I've been using Apple's Workouts for runs/walks/hikes, then just import directly into Strava and Health from Wahoo for the bike rides.

For activities on foot, Workouts > Strava all day, every day.