Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Vector 3 - Threading the Battery Cover

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-20, 08:40 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I have had my Vector's battery covers off at least once and don't recall this problem. But I simply CANNOT get the battery covers on and not cross threaded. I spent around an hour so I guess it is back to the LBS (astonishing). Has anyone else had this issue and maybe found a technique that works? I have cleaned the threads.

Thx.

dave
Old 03-05-20, 09:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
One trick I learned from some other old guy back when I was a young guy was to turn a bolt, screw or threaded whatever backwards holding a slight pressure. When you feel a drop and perhaps feel a click, then you will know the starting threads of each should be matched up. This minimizes the chance of cross-threading though certainly isn't fool-proof. However I can't think of any time it failed me when I used this technique.
Old 03-05-20, 09:33 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Originally Posted by Iride01
One trick I learned from some other old guy back when I was a young guy was to turn a bolt, screw or threaded whatever backwards holding a slight pressure. When you feel a drop and perhaps feel a click, then you will know the starting threads of each should be matched up. This minimizes the chance of cross-threading though certainly isn't fool-proof. However I can't think of any time it failed me when I used this technique.
Thanks - I will try that next time.

I have kind of answered my own question here. I abandoned this 'project' to let my frustration level drop. There are folks here who could swap out a groupset faster than I seem to be able to change a battery. I had been doing this with the bike on its side - given the configuration this is a simple way to let the batteries lie in the pedal base, so you don't worry about them falling out. This is an issue when doing it with the bike in an upright position (which is how I did it the last time that I changed the batteries). Apparently for some reason you cannot (or I cannot) get the cover in squarely doing this - have no idea why. I went back out and the left cover went on smoothly and relatively easily (and the batteries hit the floor a couple times).

The right cover is something of a problem because previously I had put the cover on cross threaded and almost didn't realize that it had happened. It was not obvious if you were not expecting that and I got the expect number of turns on the cover (while cross threaded). So the plastic threads in the pedal body are not in good shape. But I was able to get the cover on squarely with a bit of work.

I don't know if I would ever have noticed the cross threading except for the fact that the yellow gasket that seals the battery cover and pedal body kept squirting out one side.

Thanks again for the tip.

dave
Old 03-05-20, 09:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
The gasket squirting out the side will be a good indicator of problems. Likely good idea to assume it's not water resistant any more.

I don't know if this is the most current from Garmin, but you were aware of the battery compartment issues and solution?

Vector 3 and Vector 3S Sensor Performance Issues
Old 03-05-20, 09:51 AM
DaveLeeNC

Originally Posted by Iride01
The gasket squirting out the side will be a good indicator of problems. Likely good idea to assume it's not water resistant any more.

I don't know if this is the most current from Garmin, but you were aware of the battery compartment issues and solution?

Vector 3 and Vector 3S Sensor Performance Issues
These were new in mid 2019 and have the new battery cover design. However all of them have the fretting problem with 2 batteries per side, so I have my supply of baby oil. And without that you will start getting strange results after a while. Once I am out of LR44's I will probably change over to the relatively expensive 3v type.

dave