Unfortunately I have to take a break from cycling

Old 04-01-20, 12:02 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Unfortunately I have to take a break from cycling

Iím not able to maintain a 6 foot distance on my bike paths. I have noticed that thereís MORE cyclists out due to the virus. Some cyclists pass me by and theyíre only 2 feet away from me.

Fortunately thereís a lot of quiet hills by my house. So Iím just gonna he walking a lot of hilly streets. Iíve been able to keep a distance. Had one close call, lady was running down hill but I forced her to cross the street. With bikers on a bike lane, you canít do that.

But when I go to roads that are bike oriented, too many cyclists are out. Even if itís a country road, the point is cyclists are too fast and you canít get out of the way. So Iíve chosen to just go on walks and that way I have more time to yell ď6 feetĒ if I need to.
Likes For DreamRider85:
Old 04-01-20, 03:05 AM
Ross520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post
Iím not able to maintain a 6 foot distance on my bike paths. I have noticed that thereís MORE cyclists out due to the virus. Some cyclists pass me by and theyíre only 2 feet away from me.

Fortunately thereís a lot of quiet hills by my house. So Iím just gonna he walking a lot of hilly streets. Iíve been able to keep a distance. Had one close call, lady was running down hill but I forced her to cross the street. With bikers on a bike lane, you canít do that.

But when I go to roads that are bike oriented, too many cyclists are out. Even if itís a country road, the point is cyclists are too fast and you canít get out of the way. So Iíve chosen to just go on walks and that way I have more time to yell ď6 feetĒ if I need to.
I would suggest continuing your search for suitable roads. I live in a HUGE cycling city, and while I have encountered the crowding you describe on the MUPs, I haven't seen it on the roads I ride. I will probably transition to a fully road route, which is unfortunate, because our MUP allows me to essentially skip city traffic and use it to get to the nice roads. Cycling is probably the only thing keeping me sane right now, amidst the quarantine, and I'm sure many on here would say the same thing.

Don't let the 19 stop you from getting on the saddle!
​​​​
Likes For Ross520:
Old 04-01-20, 05:16 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Bikes: 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Motobecane Fantom CX; Giant OCR A1

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3553 Post(s)
Liked 2,250 Times in 1,296 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85 View Post

I'm a fast rider, and I've had no problems moving left six feet or more to pass other cyclists on the road. I also think it's very, very unlikely that getting passed at slightly less than six feet is going to result in exposure.

Ultimately, though, you probably shouldn't ride if you're uncomfortable doing it. we really don't need more things to stress out about during the long hours at home.
Old 04-01-20, 05:33 AM
rumrunn6
Banned.

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 3718 Post(s)
Liked 831 Times in 581 Posts
and what's with the ppl who like to walk down the center line? I don't understand theur mindset or any logic to it
Old 04-01-20, 06:18 AM
alo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 67 Posts
I believe the key is to understand the principle, and not be concerned with precise rules. If somebody 50 feet away coughs or sneezes, and the wind is blowing towards you, the virus could reach you. If another person passes you less than 6 feet away, but is going fast, and doesn't cough or sneeze, the likelihood of catching the virus is not very great.
Likes For alo:
Old 04-01-20, 06:45 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 483 Posts
I've been thinking about this problem as well. The bike paths are relatively narrow and now full of people. But the local roads are quiet and empty. Plus it's easy as heck to stay 6 ft away on the roads so I'll use them to ride. Not as fun as the path but at this point oddly enough they have less traffic.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 04-01-20, 08:41 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 617 Posts
I haven't touched a MUP/MUT since this whole thing started. They used to be abandoned, now everybody is out on 'em. Wanna be alone? Find a steep hill. Very few people ride up 'em, and fewer still walk up 'em. Free to suffer in solitude.
Old 04-01-20, 08:48 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 70 Posts
Weather is starting to improve here in Wisconsin and I have been out 4 times the last 10 days. I think I will stick to the roads, especially focusing on riding through residential areas. Traffic is very light and so far, only a few other cyclists out. I did go once on a popular MUP and it was crowded with people, and dogs. Not so much that I was as concerned as OP, but at times, it felt like a Saturday afternoon in July, which is not a good thing.
Old 04-01-20, 10:25 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
I haven't touched a MUP/MUT since this whole thing started. They used to be abandoned, now everybody is out on 'em. Wanna be alone? Find a steep hill. Very few people ride up 'em, and fewer still walk up 'em. Free to suffer in solitude.

Was on a MUP yesterday, and didn't have too much trouble in the below 50 degrees weather, but when it was warmer than that, forget about it.

Riding on the MUP, I have hit upon the conspiracy theory that the dogs are behind this to get more walkies. I have never seen more of them than I have the past two weeks.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-01-20, 10:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 4482 Post(s)
Liked 1,027 Times in 617 Posts
Second to the dogs-- who have previously never been out on walkies and are now out multiple times a day-- are the wibbly-wobblers, the erstwhile shut-ins that haven't turned the pedals on a bike since grade school, but are now going at it full gusto in helmets previously hidden in corners of the garage since the '90s. Hold a line? They can barely stay upright. I've seen more department store MTBs and hybrids in the past two weeks than in my entire life previous. I'm all for it. It was tough times for bike shops before all this, and the flood of bikes on the roads might just help keep some businesses afloat.
Old 04-02-20, 12:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 3489 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 643 Posts
Hollering phrases with fricatives like "SIX FEET!" is more likely to spray droplets and aerosols than passing quietly without drama when someone seems a little too close.

I'm fortunate to have plenty of places to ride without crowds. I tried the MUP twice a couple of weeks ago for just a few miles of my planned longer rides, and they were getting silly crowded. Mostly families walking. I figure they need to space more than most cyclists, since they need to air out their little darlings before everyone blows a cork. So I head the opposite direction and can ride 20-50 miles and see maybe half a dozen other people riding, jogging or walking, with more than enough room to pass safely.
Old 04-02-20, 07:58 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
Hollering phrases with fricatives like "SIX FEET!" is more likely to spray droplets and aerosols than passing quietly without drama when someone seems a little too close.

I'm fortunate to have plenty of places to ride without crowds. I tried the MUP twice a couple of weeks ago for just a few miles of my planned longer rides, and they were getting silly crowded. Mostly families walking. I figure they need to space more than most cyclists, since they need to air out their little darlings before everyone blows a cork. So I head the opposite direction and can ride 20-50 miles and see maybe half a dozen other people riding, jogging or walking, with more than enough room to pass safely.

I've now developed a rule of thumb for my local go to MUP--if it's below 50 degrees out, it's fine. If it's above, it's too crowded with way too many leashes to negotiate.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-02-20, 11:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 11464 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 1,531 Posts
Cycling isn't limited to MUPs. The roads have never been so empty.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 04-02-20, 01:38 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
I've stopped jogging on our hike & bike trail at Lady Bird Lake...too many people. I'm still riding outside, mostly on the roads around the neighborhood (I can easily do 30 miles w/o getting near anyone and not doubling back on a bunch of roads). Since it opened last year, an MUP alongside a new toll road has been a frequented route but when I rode it yesterday, there was just too much activity for me to feel comfortable. It's an 8' wide concrete path, which really provides for the 6' distance suggested but everyone is so sensitive to any kind of "closeness" that it sucks all the enjoyment out of it.

On Saturday, I rode into downtown Austin and then proceeded north of downtown. It was pretty empty and I was able to ride a main road (Lamar) with little to no car traffic...something I'd never attempt on any other Saturday afternoon. On the way south on Lamar, I was able to take either of the southbound lanes most of the time.

I rode past one of our large hospitals at one point...it looked like a ghost town. It's normally very active but the ER entrance and parking structure are on the backside, so it almost looked like it was shutdown (which it kind of is, with no elective surgeries or visitors allowed).

I also rode past our largest park, Zilker, and observed a lot of people out on the "great lawn" and a lot of foursomes playing frisbee golf.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 04-02-20, 06:33 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 116 Posts
I totally avoid the MUPS now.

Roads aren't so bad. Now and again I have to pass a cyclist, which is OK. Once in a while, as I come up to a slower cyclist I am also being overtaken by a car. That causes some minor problems.

The other problem is bridges crossing the river. It's hard to construct a route around here that doesn't cross one of the rivers (usually "the" river), and though they aren't crowded, there are a few pedestrians on them. And not much passing room when there are oncoming bikes. I'm avoiding the Mendota Bridge now - if there's a gang of stupid cyclists in a pace line coming my way (yes, a few people are still doing that - go figure), there's no way to shelter. Other bridges have less cycling traffic or wider dedicated bike lanes.

This is a huge cycling town, but it's not hard to find roads without too much traffic.

Also, at red lights I no longer stop near cross walks. I stay way back or, if the intersection allows it, well out in front. Stupid pedestrians crossing the street will walk right up to you and your not in a position to easily move out of their way.
Old 04-03-20, 01:36 AM
livedarklions
Cyclesomatic

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Cycling isn't limited to MUPs. The roads have never been so empty.
Yes, literally everyone else has said that.
Old 04-04-20, 04:03 PM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Rollers?
Old 04-04-20, 05:19 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 49 Posts
Condolences and sorry about your situation.

I'm lucky as I live in West LA and there is no problems between the mountains with their canyons and the wide streets for a road cyclist to maintain a safe distance.
Old 04-08-20, 04:18 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701, Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I do a 25 mile ride most days that includes paths and roads. I rarely see any cyclists or walkers because I now start the ride at 6.00 am. These strange times call for flexibility of routine, if you're lucky enough to have the time.
Old 04-08-20, 06:44 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 4023 Post(s)
Liked 640 Times in 355 Posts
The trails and MUPS are overrun, but the roads are wide open. I went for a 24mi ride this morning on much of the same roads I usually commute to work on and saw only one other cyclist riding wrong way on sidewalk. The popular weekend recreational road routes probably have more cyclists since that is what the weekenders know - I see a fair number of Strava posts with those routes.