Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommendations welcome for new wheel set

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recommendations welcome for new wheel set

Old 04-01-20, 05:30 AM
  #1  
marek12pol
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recommendations welcome for new wheel set

hey everyone, I'm at beginner/intermediate rider at best. I have a 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 (2013) bike with fulcrum racing 5 lg wheel set. the wheels were damaged and i'm looking to buy a new wheel set and spend say $500 tops. any recommendations? 700cc. thoughts on the fulcrum racing 7s? any insight is appreciated. i'm a bigger guy. 210lb 6'3". thanks!
marek12pol is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 06:04 AM
  #2  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,691

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 968 Posts
Damaged how? Accident? Pothole? General wear and tear under a big dude?
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 06:08 AM
  #3  
marek12pol
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Damaged how? Accident? Pothole? General wear and tear under a big dude?
an accident, fundamentally. got rear wheel clipped by a car and then I feel and damaged front wheel slightly. the front real was 'never the same' and I blew a spoke climbing a hill while leaning on it a bit. and here we are.
marek12pol is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 06:09 AM
  #4  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 3,828

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 111 Posts
Handmade wheels from Psimet2001
guadzilla is offline  
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-01-20, 06:18 AM
  #5  
NumbersGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 57

Bikes: Boardman Elite SLS 9.2, Salsa Cutthroat GRX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'd recommend Shimano Ultegra wheels. They're extremely durable, tubeless ready if you want to go that route and not particularly heavy. They can be found for $350 or less and should give you many years of trouble free use. I'm similar size to you and have had them on my 2014 Boardman for over 20k miles of use without any trouble.
NumbersGuy is offline  
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 04-01-20, 08:25 AM
  #6  
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli
 
Sy Reene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I am
Posts: 5,713

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2840 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 252 Posts
Couple options.. same rim from either
https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collec...wide#techspecs
or, from here, going with some form of 28/32 spoke count on the "Ventus" rims (24/28 if you want a bit lighter weight, probably would still suffice):
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/pwb-...t-package.html
Sy Reene is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 08:36 AM
  #7  
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis
 
DrIsotope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: SoCal, USA!
Posts: 7,971

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4492 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 622 Posts
The PWB Signature Alloy Road, seconded. I run them 20/24 in rim brake and 24/24 on my disc bike, and I'm heavier than the OP.
__________________
DrIsotope is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 10:06 AM
  #8  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Almost thought this thread was a fake.

Answer: Zondas, obviously...
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 10:10 AM
  #9  
GnipGnop
just having fun
 
GnipGnop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 92

Bikes: 1994 TiCycles Softride, 199X Cyclops Stealth Softride, 1999 Rocky Mountain Soul, 1973 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 23 Posts
Mid range campy, mid range mavic, mid range shimano
GnipGnop is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 10:48 AM
  #10  
rdeeui
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I currently ride a shimano RS-11. They were cheap and decent, seems to be fairly durable as I'm around 200 - 210 lbs.

I was looking at these when upgrading wheels, but I ended up spending a little more for more aero. I don't have experience on them myself: Vision Trimax 45 carbon clincher. $441 at merlincycles.
rdeeui is offline  
Likes For rdeeui:
Old 04-01-20, 11:02 AM
  #11  
Russ Roth
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: South Shore of Long Island
Posts: 763

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 142 Posts
An LBS should be able to build you a decent set of wheels, Ultegra and Mavic, Velocity, or their preferred rim with butted spokes. Basic, reasonably light and durable. Shouldn't have to worry for a long time with them.
Russ Roth is offline  
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 04-01-20, 11:24 AM
  #12  
RiceAWay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 216
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by marek12pol View Post
hey everyone, I'm at beginner/intermediate rider at best. I have a 2013 Cannondale CAAD10 (2013) bike with fulcrum racing 5 lg wheel set. the wheels were damaged and i'm looking to buy a new wheel set and spend say $500 tops. any recommendations? 700cc. thoughts on the fulcrum racing 7s? any insight is appreciated. i'm a bigger guy. 210lb 6'3". thanks!
You realize you're going to get all sorts of stupid suggestions from people that weigh 150 lbs in their cycling gear don't you? Anyone that mentions Kyseriums shoot them.

Campy Scirrocos (also made by Fulkrum) or the aluminum Fulkrum line are fine.

You can pick these up cheap from ProBikeKit for cheap and they also have these 40 mm deep Chinese aluminum wheels (https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../12056926.html) that I bought a set of and am really impressed. These wheels are a tad lighter than my 55 mm deep carbon wheels so I will be converting everything over eventually.

It would be nice if they sold strictly clincher wheels since tubeless wheels are very difficult to mount tires on when you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere in the rain (been there, done that, sealant is nasty on your hands which then ends up on the bar tape) Tubeless tires CAN also get flats though that is less often. So you still have to carry a saddle pack with tubes, CO2 and levers. So what it the point of tubeless?

Carbon aero wheels are strong but a definite pain in the butt. They have VERY uneven spoke tension and most of the Chinese cheap wheels have those flat plate "aero" spokes. These do NOT read the spoke tension properly so they are all under-tensioned by a very large amount and those wheels are dangerous since they can take off in some other direction to where you're pointing. They do make cheap Chinese carbon wheels with round straight pull or regular aero spokes though and these are acceptable. You must use carbon fiber brake pads and Campy makes the very best carbon brake pads.
RiceAWay is offline  
Likes For RiceAWay:
Old 04-01-20, 11:37 AM
  #13  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 897

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
Campy Scirrocos (also made by Fulkrum) or the aluminum Fulkrum line are fine.
Campy Scirocco. Fulcrum.
... those wheels are dangerous since they can take off in some other direction to where you're pointing.
I have a dog that does that ...
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-01-20, 11:39 AM
  #14  
tomato coupe
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 897

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
Almost thought this thread was a fake.

Answer: Zondas, obviously...
I was in the local 4x4 shop the other day, looking for new wheels for my Jeep. They recommended Zondas.
tomato coupe is offline  
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 04-01-20, 02:58 PM
  #15  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay View Post
You realize you're going to get all sorts of stupid suggestions from people that weigh 150 lbs in their cycling gear don't you? Anyone that mentions Kyseriums shoot them.

Campy Scirrocos (also made by Fulkrum) or the aluminum Fulkrum line are fine.

You can pick these up cheap from ProBikeKit for cheap and they also have these 40 mm deep Chinese aluminum wheels (https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../12056926.html) that I bought a set of and am really impressed. These wheels are a tad lighter than my 55 mm deep carbon wheels so I will be converting everything over eventually.

It would be nice if they sold strictly clincher wheels since tubeless wheels are very difficult to mount tires on when you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere in the rain (been there, done that, sealant is nasty on your hands which then ends up on the bar tape) Tubeless tires CAN also get flats though that is less often. So you still have to carry a saddle pack with tubes, CO2 and levers. So what it the point of tubeless?

I'm digging your initial suggestion and disdain for tubeless, but I can't get onboard with the wheels you linked to. You really expect those hubs to last? And what's with these low-quality Asian producers throwing an Italian sounding name on products? Do people really fall for that?
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 03:19 PM
  #16  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,691

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 968 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
I'm digging your initial suggestion and disdain for tubeless, but I can't get onboard with the wheels you linked to. You really expect those hubs to last? And what's with these low-quality Asian producers throwing an Italian sounding name on products? Do people really fall for that?
Your schtick is already tired. No need to harass people for recommending something other than Campy - give it a rest.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 03:26 PM
  #17  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Your schtick is already tired. No need to harass people for recommending something other than Campy - give it a rest.
"Harass"? You call that harassment? Seriously?

For something similar to the amount of those no-name wheels he could have several options that, while perhaps not as aero, will probably serve him much better.
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 03:27 PM
  #18  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 28,691

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 335 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12008 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 968 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
"Harass"? You call that harassment? Seriously?

For something similar to the amount of those no-name wheels he could have several options that, while perhaps not as aero, will probably serve him much better.
And you don't know a thing about the company that you're bashing. Wonderful.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 03:42 PM
  #19  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 14,824

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
"Harass"? You call that harassment? Seriously?

For something similar to the amount of those no-name wheels he could have several options that, while perhaps not as aero, will probably serve him much better.
You claim to not intend to have threads blow up, but you keep making inflammatory posts.
Bah Humbug is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 03:42 PM
  #20  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
And you don't know a thing about the company that you're bashing. Wonderful.
OK, and what does that have to do with some accusation of harassment?

But yeah, they are a Chinese company that picked a random Italian name to try and lend credibility to their products. I don't need to know them to call them out on it.
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 03:44 PM
  #21  
robertorolfo
Senior Member
 
robertorolfo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Queens, NY for now...
Posts: 1,198

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug View Post
You claim to not intend to have threads blow up, but you keep making inflammatory posts.
What is inflammatory? People are offering their opinions on wheel options, and I offered mine. I didn't say anything about anybody personally, I merely commented on a product that someone suggested. Isn't that the whole point?

Edit: To add to that, what's the problem with calling out cheap products as being possibly, wait for it, cheap? The guy started the thread by saying he had Fulcrum wheels that served him well for years. Recommending another Campagnolo/Fulcrum product is logical, as is the assumption that he might not be pleased with something of lesser quality.
robertorolfo is offline  
Old 04-01-20, 03:52 PM
  #22  
Bah Humbug
runner
 
Bah Humbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 14,824

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 729 Times in 441 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
What is inflammatory? People are offering their opinions on wheel options, and I offered mine. I didn't say anything about anybody personally, I merely commented on a product that someone suggested. Isn't that the whole point?

Edit: To add to that, what's the problem with calling out cheap products as being possibly, wait for it, cheap? The guy started the thread by saying he had Fulcrum wheels that served him well for years. Recommending another Campagnolo/Fulcrum product is logical, as is the assumption that he might not be pleased with something of lesser quality.
You have an extremely aggressive and dismissive tone. It was one thing when it was your thread, but the OP doesn't deserve this one going off the rails.

Also, if you want to talk about names, you might go digging up what languages all of Campy's names came from. Hint - it's not all Italian. How dare they? Who do they think they're fooling?
Bah Humbug is offline  
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-01-20, 10:08 PM
  #23  
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe
 
guadzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Offthebackistan
Posts: 3,828

Bikes: Venge, R5, Shiv, Lynskey and a few more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
But yeah, they are a Chinese company that picked a random Italian name to try and lend credibility to their products. I don't need to know them to call them out on it.
You know that many Italian companies put an Italian name on a Chinese-build bike to lend credibility to their product, right? You gonna call them out on that?

Back to the topic: OP, big guy. Seriously, get hand-built wheels with extra spokes.
guadzilla is offline  
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-02-20, 01:54 AM
  #24  
illdrag0n
Senior Member
 
illdrag0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 253

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 71 Times in 35 Posts
DT Swiss P1800. Strong wheels, good hubs (DT 370 3 pawls). Poney up for the P1600 if it's in your budget (DT 350 ratchet hubs)
illdrag0n is offline  
Old 04-02-20, 03:42 AM
  #25  
Greatestalltime
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 115

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
At that price I second the Ultegra. They’re indestructible and no to low maintenance. Great wheels.

I bet the Scirroco? and other Campy wheels in that range are nice too. I’ve never tried them though.
Greatestalltime is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.