Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

What cleats does everyone use?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

What cleats does everyone use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-20, 12:46 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I injured both knees 2016 from a motorcycle accident then had surgery on both knees 2017.
I tried Spd (mount bike) mar 2020 hurt my knees a lot. gave them away. Bought assimo power pedals ( look style mount ) may 2020 hurt my knees less. Sold them.

Dec 2020 speed play. I only have about 200 miles on them so probably a little too early to say but right now they feel great!!
Old 12-22-20, 03:17 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by plowmanjoe
speedplay zero aero walkable cleats
How do you like them? Any issues with them being single sided? I'm used to double sided SPDs, but thinking about going with the Zero Aeros on the next bike.
Old 12-22-20, 03:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
SPD- the regular type, NOT the 'M' type since those disconnect pulling up too. No idea why that is a designed feature.
I use SPD because they are simple and work perfectly fine for my needs on road bikes, gravel bike, and mtb. They shoes are as stiff as I need and the cleat/pedal support is apparently plenty enough.

I geek out on things, but just cant bring myself to care more than a little about my cleat.
Old 12-22-20, 07:38 PM
JSMaxwell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are look delta style pedals even available anymore?

I've been riding my look delta pedals since the early 90s. I've got a spin bike and I'd like to get another pair to put on it so they are all the same. Internet search for Delta style pedals turns up nothing. This seems weird to me since they are still used in all kinds of spin bikes. Maybe I am just an old fool, but does anyone know where a set of these pedals can be obtained outside of the secondary market? (I'm searching that too.)
Old 12-22-20, 08:45 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
For those using Time ATAC, do you find they slide around sideways or do anything disconcerting when you stand up to hammer up a hill?

Also, how long do those brass cleats last? The look a bit soft.
I've never noticed any sliding, if there is any, it's not much. I used to messenger on mine, so doing a lot of walking on them, and they would last about 3 to 4 months usually. If you're not walking a lot 6 months to a year, depending on how much you ride. I've tried riding SPD's for a few months, a few different times, thinking they might have gotten better or something, but I can't stand the fidgeting trying to get clipped in. With ATACs, as soon as your foot hits the pedal, you're in.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 12-22-20, 09:51 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I use different systems for different bikes because the uses are so different. (Important aside - float is a mortal enemy to my knees. To use SPDs, I have to crank in max toe-in, even cheat to a little more on the right to get an approximation of my no-float pedals.)

Road bike - Forte brand LOOK Delta compatibles (black, no-float cleats) KoolKovers hang from an aluminum carabiner off my toolbag. KoolKovers extend both cleat and tailbone life.

Fix gears - traditional slotted aluminum cleats (toestraps and clips - if I pull a cleat out, my foot is still on the pedal - very, very important at 40 MPH and 200 RPM) I have one pair of shoes a cobbler built up around the cleat so they are fully walkable.

Gravel, city, winter bike - SPD

All this is further complicated by the fact that I have one leg a 1/2" shorter so I use a 1/4" aluminum plate shim under my cleats. I have cobblers 1/4" sole material I've glues with 3Ms 5200 for those right shoes. So, yes, I take shoes and cleats seriously.
Those forte pedals last forever. Had 12,000 mi on a pair. Re-greased them once and they were like brand new.

Dave
Old 12-22-20, 10:26 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by JSMaxwell
I've been riding my look delta pedals since the early 90s. I've got a spin bike and I'd like to get another pair to put on it so they are all the same. Internet search for Delta style pedals turns up nothing. This seems weird to me since they are still used in all kinds of spin bikes. Maybe I am just an old fool, but does anyone know where a set of these pedals can be obtained outside of the secondary market? (I'm searching that too.)
I have to believe there are new Forte, Nashbar or Wellgo Delta compatibles still out there. There used to be lots. I've been riding them since before 2008 without issue. (I have been replacing them early, figuring as cheap pedal, replacing before failure was good business. Next Performance sale, I'd stock up on more. Now i see in the post above that the poster got 12,000 miles out of his. I might sit down sometime and rebuild them and be set for life.

Now, I cannot vouch for the quality of the float. I always use the black no-float cleats and will as long as my OEM knees hold out.
Old 12-22-20, 10:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
I've never noticed any sliding, if there is any, it's not much. I used to messenger on mine, so doing a lot of walking on them, and they would last about 3 to 4 months usually. If you're not walking a lot 6 months to a year, depending on how much you ride. I've tried riding SPD's for a few months, a few different times, thinking they might have gotten better or something, but I can't stand the fidgeting trying to get clipped in. With ATACs, as soon as your foot hits the pedal, you're in.
Thanks. I really appreciate the details. One more potentially silly question: Can you unclip by twisting toward the bike? I have to do this on the right side due to some extra metal in my ankle.
Old 12-22-20, 11:02 PM
plowmanjoe

Bikes: 09' Cinelli Vigorelli, 95' trek 950

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
How do you like them? Any issues with them being single sided? I'm used to double sided SPDs, but thinking about going with the Zero Aeros on the next bike.
I have the regular dual sided zeros with the aero walkable cleats. I really like that i can clip in effortlessly without looking down at all.
Old 12-23-20, 12:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Two-bolt Looks-- the good ones, not the newer meh SPD clones. I'm talking S-Tracks: my favorite pedal, long discontinued, and increasingly hard to find. A pair on every bike.

I wish I liked SPD/clones. But I do not. Same for Crank Brothers.
Old 12-23-20, 02:18 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by AidanS
SPD SL Yellow

This. It's what I've always used and I have never seen a reason to bother with anything else.
Old 12-23-20, 07:48 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Shimano SPD-SL Yellow also.....they seem to be very durable. IMO they are worth the extra few dollars in cost
Old 12-23-20, 09:37 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
For those using Time ATAC, do you find they slide around sideways or do anything disconcerting when you stand up to hammer up a hill?

Also, how long do those brass cleats last? The look a bit soft.
My cleats last about a year. They don't move if you use the cleat configuration that provides the least float.

I lost a cleat bolt yesterday and didn't have a spare (on trip), but my winter mt bike boots (Lake MX145) were in the car, so I used those on a road ride. They have the max float cleats. Even they were fine as long as I wasn't trying to do a max effort sprint.
Likes For xseal:
Old 12-23-20, 09:39 AM
xseal

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
And I should add that I switched to Time after trying all the others and having minor knee pain (a few surgeries from football/lax), and the Time pedals are great for people with knee issues.
Likes For xseal:
Old 12-23-20, 09:55 AM
JSMaxwell

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I have to believe there are new Forte, Nashbar or Wellgo Delta compatibles still out there. There used to be lots. I've been riding them since before 2008 without issue. (I have been replacing them early, figuring as cheap pedal, replacing before failure was good business. Next Performance sale, I'd stock up on more. Now i see in the post above that the poster got 12,000 miles out of his. I might sit down sometime and rebuild them and be set for life.

Now, I cannot vouch for the quality of the float. I always use the black no-float cleats and will as long as my OEM knees hold out.
Nashbar has a SKU on its website, but it is "backordered". I don't know if that is a permanent thing or actually temporary. I guess I'll find out. The ones I have are actual "Look" pedals. They are going on 30 years old and have tens of thousands on miles on them. They still work great.
Old 12-23-20, 12:06 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
SPD-SL yellow. They will last basically forever if you are careful when walking.

I might try the blue ones next year (2 degrees of float instead of 6) to see if there's any improvement.
Old 12-23-20, 06:46 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Switch over from Delta to Look Keo on all bikes , except Campy on one bike . KB.
Old 12-23-20, 07:40 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Thanks. I really appreciate the details. One more potentially silly question: Can you unclip by twisting toward the bike? I have to do this on the right side due to some extra metal in my ankle.
I've never tried, so I had to check. You can, but you have to twist a little harder. The cleats are directional, but It still will clip out. You could easily file down the edge to match if you wanted.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 12-24-20, 02:38 PM
CeeDotA

Bikes: 17 TCR Advanced 2, 21 Revolt Advanced 3, 16 Trinity Advanced

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Used SPD-SLs forever, then switched to Look Keo Grip when I bought Favero Assioma pedals.
Old 12-26-20, 10:22 AM
frogmorton

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Once clipped in I don’t notice any difference in feel between SPD and SPD-SL. I ride SPD because it’s easier to walk in the shoes.
Old 12-26-20, 11:31 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I used Speedplays on my road bikes since 1997, until late this past season, when I removed them and went to flats. I had done this with my also-since-'97 Rockhopper 6 or 7 years ago. The road bike was the only one left with "clipless" and decided that romance was over for me. I will probably install clips on the Domane pedals. Ironically, my Speedplay-ready Pearl Izumi Fuels are my favorite cycling shoe and I haven't decided what to do about that. In the Spring, I'll decide fully how I feel about my road-changeover and then deal with the Fuels question. For now, and my only-occasional winter rides, I'll be trialing different flats.

P.S.: I still recommend Speedplay, and would only go back to these.
Old 12-26-20, 06:38 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Spd-sl. Love em
Old 12-26-20, 06:46 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
SPD-SL Red.

The knees don't like float.
Old 12-28-20, 12:34 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Look Delta on my road bike. On my city bike and commuter I recently replaced the pedals with MKS platforms and stainless full cages. Way less hassle and just as secure. Of course, I grew up before clipless existed.
Old 12-28-20, 12:44 PM
SpectrumTi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Still have speedplay x-series. Still going strong. Nearly 20 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.