Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

FIRST BIKE EVER for kids - Questions

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-15, 11:18 AM
Bill2015

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys

Somewhat of a dilemma.

1. My kids do NOT know how to ride bikes at all, we lived overseas in a major city and riding bikes would result in either getting hit by a car and/or the bike being stolen.

Kids are age 8 an 10. Local bike shop and TREK dealer recommended they use size 24 bikes.

What do you think ? Learn to ride via Wal-Mart Huffy, let them crash and scratch them up and learn to ride, then maybe around Christmas give them a Trek or similar non-Dept Store bike ?

Or go big ($$$) now ? My Budget is not to exceed $500 per bike, out the door.

2. Local TREK dealer said kids are sized for 24 bike, wife is sized for 27 bike, and I am sized for size 29. I am 6 feet and 205 LBS. <--- I wonder if I need a 29 inch bike or give me some feedback please.

With that said, why can't I just buy some TREK 820's for both wife and kids (entry level MTB), the kids are growing, and then maybe a different bike for me. Or "can" I do a TREK 820 ?

I lean towards TREK due to its reputation and good warranty.

3. For above questions, the terrain will be city parks, designated mountain bike trails at the local state park, and neighborhood sidewalks, riding to middle school/Junior High school.

Thoughts, advice appreciated
Old 09-07-15, 08:39 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
There are tire diameters and there are frame sizes. The two are somewhat but not completely independent from each other.

If you are buying a mountain bike, then at your height I would lean toward something with a 29-inch tire size. Your dealer probably has you on a frame size adequate for your height. If you're looking at something like the Trek Marlin, then I'm guessing your dealer has you on either a 19.5" or a 21.5" frame size. The 29er tires will look proportionally nice on those frame sizes.

Your wife. There is actually no such thing as a 27-inch size. I'm guessing you mean 27.5" tire size, which is also called 650b. Is your wife shorter than you by a few inches? Then 27.5" tires are a reasonable call, and again the frame size will be matched to your wife's body size.

(It is of course possible for you to get a frame that fits that is built around 27.5" tires, and your wife can probably get a frame that fits that is built around 29" tires. Your dealer IMHO is choosing reasonable "defaults").

Frame size, btw, affects to the reach from the seat to the bars, and also the height of the seat relative to the bars. You'll have a longer reach to the bars on your bike, because you are taller than your wife.

Your kids. Does your son look comfortable on the 24-inch-tire bike? Does everything -- bike and rider -- appear in proportion? Is your son confident on test rides? Then I'd say the dealer is doing right.

If you want to investigate a larger wheel size for your older son, you might ask your dealer whether the following would fit:

Kids? Dual Sport - Kids? collection - Trek Bicycle

This bike takes 26-inch tires. They might carry your son for an extra year beyond the 24-inch tires. Maybe. Hard to say. No matter what you buy now, your son will grow and you'll need to replace after a couple or three years.
Old 09-07-15, 08:47 PM
Thirstyman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
can't go wrong with Isla bikes for kids. In all sizes including 24". Not sure the price off hand but the smaller single speed ones are around $300. Great quality and very good first bikes as they are fit much better than department store bikes with appropriate brake grip size etc. My young kid 3-4 went from a balance to a pedal bike in just a few months.
Old 09-08-15, 06:11 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
go buy a really cheap 20" or 24" yard sale special and let them learn on it and beat it up. Probably won't take more than a few days to a week before they are competent enough for a better bike. Maybe someone would even loan you a bike for them to learn on. If you lived anywhere near me I would give you my son's old BMX bike for them to learn on.

After that go look at better bikes. There will be a lot of people insisting Isla bike are the best for kids. they are the lightest kids bikes out, but also the most expensive. You can get a Giant or Specialized 24" with gears and disc brakes for around $400, with rim brakes for about $250.
Old 09-08-15, 06:57 AM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
When you buy a kids bike from a Trek dealer they will tell you about the child upgrade program.

Bring It back when the kid outgrows the bike, bring it back In working order and they will give you 50% of the original purchase price towards the next one.

I think one must keep each bike a year, I think the program ends when the kid reaches 16 or an adult sized bike witch ever comes first..
You can buy Walmart junk or spend a bit more for a safer better bike,, your choice....

hig4s said:
(go buy a really cheap 20" or 24" yard sale special and let them learn on it and beat it up. Probably won't take more than a few days to a week before they are competent enough for a better bike. )

That right there is real good advice..........
Old 09-09-15, 08:19 PM
Bill2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Update:

Neighbor sold us their daughter's pink Huffy BMX bike (for girls) for 50 bucks. Bike almost brand new. His girl never really rode it much and hit a growth spurt and she got a bigger bike.

Both my son and daughter will learn to ride with this bike, they have already wrecked it a few times, but are learning fast.

Once they ride the crap out of this one, I will look at a higher quality BMX bike for each OR move into the 24 inch Trek type bikes.

Thank you for all the great input, I used it when I made my decision.

Thanks