Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Today I fell in love with cycling

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-10, 04:47 PM
level76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So this is my third week with my bike and I've done two 25 mile rides this week. The first one on Monday was kinda rough. But TODAY...today I was really loving it. I don't really know what the difference was, but I tore through those miles like they were nothing. So glad I invested in a good bike. I think I've finally find an activity to lose weight that I truly enjoy.

That's the end of my testimony.
Old 06-10-10, 05:01 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by level76
So this is my third week with my bike and I've done two 25 mile rides this week. The first one on Monday was kinda rough. But TODAY...today I was really loving it. I don't really know what the difference was, but I tore through those miles like they were nothing. So glad I invested in a good bike. I think I've finally find an activity to lose weight that I truly enjoy.

I discovered the same almost 3 years ago and still love it.

Some days it all clicks and it will seem effortless while other days it seems to be a struggle all the way. Sometimes I can point to a reason while other days I have no idea why it was so easy or so hard. Just enjoy the easy days and consider the tough days as paying your dues. It's all good!
Old 06-10-10, 10:30 PM
funrover 

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear!! Keep it up
Old 06-11-10, 04:44 AM
RatedZ

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Kinda happened the same way for me. I bought a bike and figured, "Eh, it's something to do. I'll get good exercise and it'll be fun jumping over things like I was 14 again."

So, there I am, just riding along on the asphalt, not doing anything, and then all of a sudden this rush of pure bliss came over me, sort of like, "Wow, this is really great. I love this. I'm really glad I started biking again."

Since my "blissful moment," I've just been really happy while biking, almost sort of just a feeling of being totally content. What can I say, I'm just loving this renewed hobby.

Old 06-11-10, 05:07 AM
wild animals
Real Human Being

Bikes: Sleeping Beauty: 2008 Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
That happened to me, too--only instead of going on a 25-mile ride, I was riding circles in a parking lot at 3 in the morning.
Old 06-11-10, 05:32 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This guy knows how you feel.
Old 06-11-10, 05:34 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by bautieri

This guy knows how you feel.
That bike's a little small for him, isn't it?

Old 06-11-10, 05:36 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by level76

I fell in love when I first began to ride.... once I taught myself how to at age 40. :-)

Old 06-11-10, 06:31 AM
RatedZ

The first night I had my bike, I had planned out a course in my basement around all of the support beams and the pipes for the bathroom rough-in (The basement is unfinished...). Soon afterwards, I found myself riding around the basement.

It was about 3am and I just couldn't sleep. I got out of bed, put on a pair of shoes, and just rode around the basement in circles for about half-hour. My wife woke up wondering where I was, and when she found me riding around in the basement wearing nothing more than a pair of Hanes and Nikes, the look on her face was priceless. She just looked at me, then said, "Okay, I'm gonna go back upstairs now..."

Old 06-11-10, 08:21 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
While my wife (and DRs) will give many other reasons...

Cycling, and the ability to ride again after 30+ yrs of not riding is why I got my knee replacement (TKR), why I went through all those weeks of painful rehab, and why I spent months riding an exercise bike...

The reward is riding the 'towpath', and/or driving to PA to Meet and ride with the Historian
Old 06-11-10, 08:51 AM
bautieri
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
That bike's a little small for him, isn't it?
Hard to tell from this picture, but it has very narrow handlebars and I'm quite certain that is a Rock Shox Judy...looking at the head tube the fork is either fully compressed and/or broken...or it's a photoshop.

Old 06-11-10, 09:26 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by Peter_C
The reward is riding the 'towpath', and/or driving to PA to Meet and ride with the Historian
I've never met a cyclist who described riding with me as a "reward." Especially after the ride.

Old 06-11-10, 09:29 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
level76 what saddle do you have?
Old 06-11-10, 10:57 AM
uncaboos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RatedZ
...when she found me riding around in the basement wearing nothing more than a pair of Hanes and Nikes...
WAAAAAAAAY too much information! The image I now have in my head is rather distrubing, ahhhhhhhh!
Old 06-11-10, 11:00 AM
level76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
level76 what saddle do you have?
I have the saddle that came with my bike - Fuji PGC UltraLite Racing. I'm still experiencing a bit of pain towards the end of my rides but the pain does last as long with each ride.

I'm already planning a 40 mile ride for Sunday. Seriously, I'm addicted!
Old 06-11-10, 11:45 AM
Boofage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, this is a curious sport that we have endeavored to tackle. What's really crazy is when you're on a long or tough ride and you can't wait to be done, and in your head you're saying,"this sucks, why am I doing this?" And then, 2 hours later off the bike you start saying to yourself, "that was awesome. I bet I can do that ride better." I've never had a sport grab me like cycling has.
Old 06-11-10, 05:49 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
I fell in love with cycling last year when I upgraded from riding my MTB with slicks to a road bike.

Every day I love it even more. And lately, even though I have been having lower back pain (im pretty sure I have it narrowed down as to why) I cant wait to get out and ride my bike every day
Old 06-11-10, 07:10 PM
Absenth

Bikes: 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Blue Velvet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm going on my first longer ride tomorrow with two co-workers. None of us are particularly fond of hard work, we are after all systems administrators.
Anyway we're going to take it easy, but the goal is to do about 25 miles. Should be a good time, and great practice for my upcoming daily commute.
Old 06-12-10, 04:58 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by RatedZ
The first night I had my bike, I had planned out a course in my basement around all of the support beams and the pipes for the bathroom rough-in (The basement is unfinished...). Soon afterwards, I found myself riding around the basement.

It was about 3am and I just couldn't sleep. I got out of bed, put on a pair of shoes, and just rode around the basement in circles for about half-hour. My wife woke up wondering where I was, and when she found me riding around in the basement wearing nothing more than a pair of Hanes and Nikes, the look on her face was priceless. She just looked at me, then said, "Okay, I'm gonna go back upstairs now..."
While this might be too much information, it's a splendid story. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 06-12-10, 07:17 AM
RatedZ

While this might be too much information, it's a splendid story. Thanks for sharing it.
I guess I'd just have to look at it from her POV and think, "Okay, what if I found her doing this?"

Old 06-13-10, 03:12 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've never met a cyclist who described riding with me as a "reward." Especially after the ride.
Repeat (after the ride) - yes, for me the trip to your place, and the ride is/are/was a reward for my efforts
Old 06-13-10, 03:19 AM
Peter_C
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Boofage
Yes, this is a curious sport that we have endeavored to tackle. What's really crazy is when you're on a long or tough ride and you can't wait to be done, and in your head you're saying,"this sucks, why am I doing this?" And then, 2 hours later off the bike you start saying to yourself, "that was awesome. I bet I can do that ride better." I've never had a sport grab me like cycling has.
+1 - that's it exactly~!

I just completed a 37.7 mile ride in eastern PA (Saturday) along with the 820 mile round trip driving to and from. I am not (yet) good on hills, and while the ride was bout as flat as possible, it surely wasn't flat to me - combine that with 85+ temps, fairly high humidity, and very little wind - I don't know which was worse, the 'inclines', or the heat, yet after a shower and change of clothes, I found myself wishing I could stay and do it again the next day (bout 3-4hrs from this post)...
Old 06-14-10, 10:44 AM
Greg_R

Bikes: Surly LHT set up for commuting

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess I'd just have to look at it from her POV and think, "Okay, what if I found her doing this?"
The cover for Queen's "Bicycle Race" comes to mind...
Old 06-14-10, 12:40 PM
RatedZ

Originally Posted by Greg_R
The cover for Queen's "Bicycle Race" comes to mind...

Old 06-14-10, 07:47 PM
level76

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So today I decided to push myself a little bit by trying out a 28 mile ride that had a few small hills scattered around. Umm, yeah...not quite ready for that, yet. I learned two things today–1. remember to bring snacks, and 2. time for some new, sturdier wheels. I didn't break any spokes, but I could tell that the stock wheels on my ride won't last for very long under my large frame. Tomorrow I'm going down to my LBS to order a Mavic Open Pro wheelset

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.