Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Recommendations

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 03:28 PM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Recommendations

Hey everyone,
My 11 year old daughter has struggled to learn how to ride a bike, and I was thinking about a ‘bent. My research points me to a tadpole trike style, but i know almost nithing about them. Let me know what you think for an entry level bike.
Thanks
Old 05-29-18, 03:41 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Might be hard finding a shorter one. Try KMX. KMX Trikes USA What is her X-seam? https://easyracers.com/docs/X_Seam_Guide.pdf Another site to peruse on non-satdard trikes would be Utah Trikes, Utah Trikes - Online Recumbent
Old 05-29-18, 04:41 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Hmmm...

Does your daughter have other disabilities? How close is she with riding?

I've heard recommendations of taking the cranks, pedals, and perhaps even the bottom bracket out of a bike, and using it as a push bike.

Tandems may also help with getting used to pedaling, and perhaps balance (but not steering to balance).

My nephew was about 8 when he learned. Once it finally clicked... he was a natural.

I see a good price on an adult trike on Craigslist here in Eugene, but it isn't clear how adjustable it is. I have one made at the local co-op that could probably be adjusted for people from about 5' to 6', perhaps even shorter.

It would sure be nice to get one that would grow with her.
Old 05-30-18, 08:24 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
The biggest factor is price. Not many parents are willing to shell out big bucks for a decent trike for an 11 year old. The entry level trikes are almost universally very heavy, have limited gear ranges compared to a regular bike, and in some cases have really cheap components the meet a price point. Catrike makes a good quality small trike (Catrike Pocket) that fits small people. They do show up on the used market if you are lucky enough to be close to the sale location. Far superior to the cheapest entry level trikes. Catrike Pocket Recumbent Trike - Bicycle Man

Here's one that sold for $900 not too long ago https://www.bentrideronline.com/mess...d.php?t=131856 Bentrider is a good place to learn about trikes too. I bought a used Greenspeed GTO there back in 2004 and it was probably the best recumbent purchase I ever made.
Old 06-12-18, 03:19 PM
androka

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Agree on price, trikes would be safer but they are super expensive for a kid
Old 06-12-18, 08:18 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
KMX makes sizes for kids through adults. They're square tubing and mild steel, so they're a bit heavy. But the price is right.

KMX Trikes USA
Old 06-13-18, 09:14 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDaddyPete
My 11 year old daughter has struggled to learn how to ride a bike ...
As others have said, your options are very limited and also expensive. I don't know ... 11 years old. That's about 5 years late to be starting. I'm not judging. I was 12 before my father got around to teaching me how to ride (with lots of cursing and slaps upside the head) and it is going to take longer at 11 than at 6. Or maybe it is that adults have more patience with very young children. Either way, IMO the worst thing you could do is 'give up' on your daughter ever riding a two wheeler and getting a trike for her. Bad idea. It will stigmatize her for life. Not what you wanted to hear but, there you are. Maybe you should let someone else teach her. Again, not judging, plenty of parents let someone else teach their adolescents to drive because they are just too close and too invested. Some things require a little emotional distance. FWIW.
Old 06-13-18, 07:42 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Re: teaching your daughter - have you tried the trick with taking the pedals off and lowering the seat? We got my 3-year-old niece a balance bike (look it up) and she taught herself to ride it in a matter of hours. Balance bikes are awesome! OTOH, the term "training wheels" is an oxymoron.