Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Vittoria Corsa or Corsa Control?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-17-19, 10:38 AM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

I'm in the market for some new tires as my Sector 28's have a strange sidewall issue and it's freaking me out a lot. They have been great as I've never had a flat in a year and a half with them, but don't want to get another set and then have the same thing happen again.

So, I've heard good things about Vittoria but never had any before. They'll be 28's and tubeless. Which tire is more comparable to the Sector 28's for durability and protection?

Thanks.

Brandon
Old 09-17-19, 05:57 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by BigPoser
I'm in the market for some new tires as my Sector 28's have a strange sidewall issue and it's freaking me out a lot. They have been great as I've never had a flat in a year and a half with them, but don't want to get another set and then have the same thing happen again.

So, I've heard good things about Vittoria but never had any before. They'll be 28's and tubeless. Which tire is more comparable to the Sector 28's for durability and protection?

Thanks.

Brandon
Can you elaborate.. just out of curiosity.. what 'strange sidewall issue' are you having? Or.. what would be the 'same thing happening again'?

fwiw, I run corsa and corsa controls (v1).. been happy with both; very few flats. I use the controls in fall thru spring months, and the regular corsas from may til oct. For me, they feel about the same, though the controls evidently are a bit heavier. I can't speak to the TLR versions.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 09-17-19, 06:52 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4746 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Is your strange sidewall issue" this?

chttps://www.velonews.com/2019/09/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq-a-tubeless-tire-blowout-in-the-pyrenees_500757

If this is the case, sand that bead untl it passes the smooth-to feel test or your Vittorias will do the same thing.
Old 09-17-19, 10:53 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Bicycle rolling resistance will give you some good insight into this.

For the G2.0 generation, the Control lost some of its protection relative to the Corsa - they’re far more similar now. The main difference is the width of the tread and the tread pattern. If you’re like me and have a wide rim, like running low pressures and leaning hard, the Control is probably a better pick. I would go Control front and Corsa rear.

Vittoria’s official site says this, if that’s worth anything:
Old 09-17-19, 10:55 PM
BigPoser

Bikes: BAHL Giro, BAHL Uno, BAHL GVL, Cuevas

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Can you elaborate.. just out of curiosity.. what 'strange sidewall issue' are you having? Or.. what would be the 'same thing happening again'?

fwiw, I run corsa and corsa controls (v1).. been happy with both; very few flats. I use the controls in fall thru spring months, and the regular corsas from may til oct. For me, they feel about the same, though the controls evidently are a bit heavier. I can't speak to the TLR versions.
Here is a pic of my sidewall. Doesn't look good.