Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Michigan Great Lake-to-Lake-trail

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 09-16-19, 01:12 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts

We are considering touring the new Michigan Lake-to-lake trail which runs east/west across the entire state. From on-line stuff, it is a patchwork of trails, 75% complete with the remainder connected by roads. If you have ridden the length, or at least significant parts of it, I would appreciate your information on the surface and connections. One website has pictures of the trail with horses on it which can't be good. Hopefully ATVs are not allowed.
Old 09-16-19, 01:49 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I've ridden the Kal-Haven leg from Kalamazoo to South Haven, about 35 mi. as I recall. Nice trail, most fine gravel, some paved. Pretty quiet, read little congestion at all. As you get close to South Haven you encounter more tourist types out for a short ride, etc.
Old 09-16-19, 09:54 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Michigan has over 3000 miles of Rails-to-Trails MUPs. There are many trails that can be can be linked together to go where you want to go. My wife and I rode a 1000 mile loop around the state, rode from Ludington to Grosse Ile (across the state), and from New Boston to Alganac. The last two rides were parts of longer tours.

We rode parts of the South Haven to Port Huron Route west to east. We turned south at Jackson and headed south east toward Lake Erie. We used the MUPs, when we came across one that was heading in the direction we wanted to go. There are a lot of quiet back roads in Michigan.

Horses are not an issue, and motorized vehicles were prohibited on the trails we rode on. I suspect some sections may be used by snowmobiles in the winter.

Do a search; there a number of map sources available, e.g. – https://www.traillink.com/trailsearch/?state=mi

Last edited by Doug64; 09-17-19 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-18-19, 06:29 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1724 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Yes, some sections of the trail system in Michigan is open to snowmobiles in the winter. Some sections also allow horses. Have encountered them without any issues. Just no loud noises, bells or squealing brakes as you approach, go by and leave. Be gentle around these gentle creatures and all will be copastetic.
Old 09-18-19, 06:33 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by tihabanero
yes, some sections of the trail system in michigan is open to snowmobiles in the winter. Some sections also allow horses. Have encountered them without any issues. Just no loud noises, bells or squealing brakes as you approach, go by and leave. Be gentle around these gentle creatures and all will be copastetic.
+1
Old 09-19-19, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Yes, some sections of the trail system in Michigan is open to snowmobiles in the winter. Some sections also allow horses. Have encountered them without any issues. Just no loud noises, bells or squealing brakes as you approach, go by and leave. Be gentle around these gentle creatures and all will be copastetic.
+2. My favorite off-road route in the big city uses a trail that is open to horses. I see people riding maybe 1/3 of the time I ride it. Pass with space and don't to anything threatening.
Old 09-19-19, 01:59 PM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have no problem with horse encounters (love all animals), but if allowed on same surface as bikes will certainly ruin the trail for touring.
Old 09-19-19, 02:10 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by IPassGas
I have no problem with horse encounters (love all animals), but if allowed on same surface as bikes will certainly ruin the trail for touring.
How so? Just curious.
Old 09-19-19, 02:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
I've ridden sections of the Kal Haven trail between South Haven and Kalamazoo dozens of times and have encountered horses only one time. It really is a non issue.
Old 09-19-19, 06:36 PM
GaryinMich

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back in 1996 I did the Michigander which was my first supported tour. I don’t recall the whole route but it followed a lot of the Lake to Lake route. I’ve ridden the Clinton River Trail and Macomb Orchard Trail many times. In fact I just rode almost the whole length of the Macomb Orchard Trail in an out and back yesterday after work for a 50 mile ride. The Macomb Orchard is all paved while the Clinton River is a combination of paved and fine crushed gravel. The 2 actually are connected in Rochester.

I understand the concern about horses on trails. The White Pine Trail between Grand Rapids and Cadillac has sections by Morley that are a bit sandy and they allow horses. This is an Amish area and they use the trail. It can be very difficult to ride depending on how many horses have passed through.