Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What Not To Do With Close Passers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-18, 12:03 PM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Even if she brushed him when going by, this will get the cyclist in trouble. The driver says she passed him close, but in a controlled manner. Having a GoPro in this instance would have been a better way to get a point across than vandalizing the car.
ONLY ON 4: Cyclist shatters woman's windshield in Berkeley road rage incident - KRON
Old 05-09-18, 01:17 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I seriously doubt he did that if she did not bump into him and almost knock him down, which she probably would not even feel.

Maybe a pole sticking out to the left 3 feet from the seat post would convince these people to pass a little more carefully.
Old 05-09-18, 02:52 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Impossible to know exactly what happened with the encounter before the rage. She could have knocked him down. She could have brushed him with her mirror. And who knows what kind of speed we're talking about. Coming close at 20 mph is different than coming close at 45 mph. I'm not defending his actions, but I'd like to hear the other side of the story.
Old 05-09-18, 03:11 PM
Oneder
Banned.

I've been hit and run twice, once by a girl who knocked me down and then pulled right in to the 711 around the corner, looked right at me as she did it. I would have thought she did not even notice, but like I said she looked right as me as she did a right turn into the bike lane and knocked me onto the sidewalk.

I very nearly did the same thing that this guy did to her. She was certainly shocked when I rode right up to her, not sure how she could think that going a 1/4 mile was enough to avoid ever seeing me again. Should have called the police I guess, but I was afraid to lose control and beat her face in so I just flipper her off an inch from her face and kept going.
Old 05-09-18, 03:36 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18371 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
How odd.

I think there are a few hotheads that just go over the top. Perhaps chasing her down allowed things to boil over in his mind.
Old 05-09-18, 04:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
I seriously doubt he did that if she did not bump into him and almost knock him down, which she probably would not even feel.

Maybe a pole sticking out to the left 3 feet from the seat post would convince these people to pass a little more carefully.
See this thread from 2016 "Safety hack for bikes using a pool noodle":
Originally Posted by Straw_Cat
I just spotted this on The Weather Network's FB page. It's an interesting hack....:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/cyclist-stakes-out-space-on-the-road-with-pool-noodle-hack/73586/

One could add a LED or something to brighten up the end.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-18 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added photo
Old 05-09-18, 04:42 PM
mcours2006

I dunno, Jim. That looks a lot like a middle finger.
Old 05-09-18, 06:33 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
I dunno, Jim. That looks a lot like a middle finger.
That's a secondary advantage.
Old 05-09-18, 07:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10157 Post(s)
Liked 5,849 Times in 3,150 Posts
Outboard end of noodle needs a big old nail embedded.
Old 05-09-18, 08:30 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,510 Times in 2,854 Posts
I believe he probably had a good reason to get upset, but he has totally screwed himself by committing assault and property damage.
Wear a camera, get it on video, and file a police report.
Old 05-09-18, 08:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
I've thought about (and we used to talk about) making a spoke-like wire like Jim's baton above only extending just 12" beyond the widest part of my body. Function? To tag cars that passed that close. Yes, that might open me to suit from drivers for the cost of a paint job. But it seems to me I should be able to win a following suit for the cost of that trial. my lawyer and the settlement plus the same at the second hearing, arguing tha tall this was caused by an unsafe close pass and that the paint scratch was the evidence of the unsafe pass. (Maybe try to stack the jury with mothers. In closing ask the jury to consider if they would consider a pass that close to their kids "safe".)

Ben
Old 05-09-18, 10:38 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 5,510 Times in 2,854 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've thought about (and we used to talk about) making a spoke-like wire like Jim's baton above only extending just 12" beyond the widest part of my body. Function? To tag cars that passed that close. Yes, that might open me to suit from drivers for the cost of a paint job. But it seems to me I should be able to win a following suit for the cost of that trial. my lawyer and the settlement plus the same at the second hearing, arguing tha tall this was caused by an unsafe close pass and that the paint scratch was the evidence of the unsafe pass. (Maybe try to stack the jury with mothers. In closing ask the jury to consider if they would consider a pass that close to their kids "safe".)

Ben
I was considering a thin dowel rod on a pivot that would easily swing out of the way if struck, but with a paintball (as used by paintball guns) mounted on the end that would mark the car. (At least until it was washed.)
Old 05-10-18, 06:04 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
I really doubt the cyclist will ever get charged. Unless he turns himself in. There are too many people that look alike... ...and impossible to positively ID based off some grainy footage.
Yeah, probably nobody will ever recognize the person who rides a red Cannondale Cujo Neo 2 with road wheels/tires.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-10-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-10-18, 07:54 AM
dh024

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I like how the news report made sure they embedded a clip of the cyclist blowing through a red light, even though that clip had nothing to do with the road rage incident. No bias here, I'm sure.
Old 05-10-18, 09:41 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I was considering a thin dowel rod on a pivot that would easily swing out of the way if struck, but with a paintball (as used by paintball guns) mounted on the end that would mark the car. (At least until it was washed.)
Make it about 2 feet long... and in the states with a 3 foot rule, you have now left evidence that the car violated said rule.
Old 05-10-18, 09:43 AM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dh024
I like how the news report made sure they embedded a clip of the cyclist blowing through a red light, even though that clip had nothing to do with the road rage incident. No bias here, I'm sure.
That's a totally different cyclist.
Old 05-10-18, 10:06 AM
dh024

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
That's a totally different cyclist.
Seriously? OMG - that's so much worse.
Old 05-10-18, 10:09 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Impossible to know exactly what happened with the encounter before the rage. She could have knocked him down. She could have brushed him with her mirror. And who knows what kind of speed we're talking about. Coming close at 20 mph is different than coming close at 45 mph. I'm not defending his actions, but I'd like to hear the other side of the story.
Agreed, she may have thought she was passing safely but closely, but it's easy to think that when you're in a car and the cyclist is on your passenger side. At any rate, it still doesn't justify bashing in someone's car and windshield. That way way out of line and not going to win us cyclists any fans.
Old 05-10-18, 01:01 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Some people have hair triggers. I kind of doubt that any cyclist that regularly rides in an urban environment like Berkeley would go off the deep end if the pass was NOT dangerously close. Still should have kept his cool because there is no sympathy for hot heads.
Old 05-10-18, 02:07 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
So she used a 2,000 + pound metal cage to endanger the cyclist life and he only used his 180 pounds to punch her car, only risking property damage. She scared him and he scared her.

Regardless what you think of the cyclist, he did make the roads safer for other cyclist.
Old 05-10-18, 02:29 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
See this thread from 2016 "Safety hack for bikes using a pool noodle":
I think I'll visit my local adult bookstore and buy a 3-foot *****.
Old 05-10-18, 02:36 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Originally Posted by CB HI
So she used a 2,000 + pound metal cage to endanger the cyclist life and he only used his 180 pounds to punch her car, only risking property damage. She scared him and he scared her.

Regardless what you think of the cyclist, he did make the roads safer for other cyclist.
Watching the video, she seemed very unsympathetic to me, too. I would guess she was just lying.
Old 05-10-18, 02:48 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by CB HI
What the news report did was put more hate on cyclists, so I don't know if that works in favour of cyclists. Yeah, you can say drivers will think twice before trying to squeeze through when there's no room to squeeze through, and maybe they will wait, but there will be a few yahoos out there who see the report and think, f*****g cyclists, I'll show them!

That doesn't make the road safer at all.
Old 05-10-18, 02:52 PM
italktocats

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
props to the guy! if this is what it takes to not get run over, that is what it takes!
" followed her for several street blocks then shattered her windshield with his fists. "
+
claiming the cyclist told her "you'll remember me" before he beat her car.

thats what you get when you use your car as a weapons, she wont be pulling out in front of any cyclists in her life, ever.

What the news report did was put more hate on cyclists, so I don't know if that works in favour of cyclists. Yeah, you can say drivers will think twice before trying to squeeze through when there's no room to squeeze through, and maybe they will wait, but there will be a few yahoos out there who see the report and think, f*****g cyclists, I'll show them!

That doesn't make the road safer at all.
the average &#*^##* isnt tough enough to risk getting beat the **** up, people DO NOT get out of their car to confront a cyclists, they try to ignore you and try to race off, people KNOW they cant beat up a cyclist.

" Banda says she's still coping with the trauma. "

ironic, a 8 year old girl got smashed by a suv on a ped crossing and is in a coma, considered death from the start, and the media published how "traumatized the driver" was, **** him!

Last edited by italktocats; 05-10-18 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-10-18, 02:59 PM
mcours2006

Originally Posted by italktocats
the average &#*^##* isnt tough enough to risk getting beat the **** up, people DO NOT get out of their car to confront a cyclists, they try to ignore you and try to race off, people KNOW they cant beat up a cyclist.
!
Not talking about confronting the cyclist. Some yahoo might just swerve into a cyclist given the opportunity (i.e. no witnesses), and then just take off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.