Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a good front "be seen" safety light?

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-18, 08:54 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts

Hello everyone,

I decided to invest in a good set of "be seen" lights for my road bike, since on my weekend rides I tend to have to share the road with cars quite a bit. (I wish I could do all dedicated trails, but I can't).

I got the Knog Blinder R70 taillight, because of its 70 lumens rear brightness, which is good for grabbing car's attention even in bright daylight. Very pleased with it so far. Well built and bright. Easy to fit on the bike.

Now I'm looking for a front light to grab attention "be seen" as well. Something
- Small, easy to fit on the frame (NOT a full on headlight, I don't ride at night with this bike)
- Blinking mode
- Bright
- Preferably decent battery life

I'm looking at the Knog Blinder Mini Chippy, since I am impressed with the build quality and brightness of the Blinder R70 I got for the rear.
https://www.knog.com.au/blinder-mini-chippy.html

But it is not cheap, and so I am wondering if there are better alternatives out there?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-18, 10:15 AM
Dchiefransom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Is the tail light adjustable so it's not angled down when attached to the seat post? I'd get a flasher for the front that is brighter than 20 lumens for daytime and use the strobe feature.
Old 05-10-18, 11:33 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Originally Posted by alexanderls
i'm a fan of the cygolite brand.
As far as a be seen light, go with a reflector and any cheap blinker.
I have a cygolite expilion 850 and a cygolite metro 450. I do off road trail riding during night though.
I couldn't find anything cheaper than $30 from cygolite, even their lower end ~100 lumen offerings cost around $30.
If $30 is an acceptable price for you, you can get a 500 lumen light from cygolite. It's important to note, lights designed to output more lumens usually have larger batteries which will last longer for just blinking.
https://www.amazon.com/cygolite-metr...dp/b00e1nq3du/
+1

Old 05-10-18, 11:52 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
To be see I'd recommend a light that has a wide beam/dispersion. I've got a Lifeline brand 300-lumen light that was great for this. Bright enough to grab attention and bring enough to see as well, though my route is well lit.
Old 05-10-18, 12:36 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
+1 on the Cygolite Metro 450. Very bright flash mode in bright daylight. Some say "irritatingly" bright. Bright flashing lights are present on all manner of vehicles from school buses and motorcycles to emergency vehicles and garbage trucks. There's a reason, THEY GRAB ATTENTION of other motorists. I'm not very worried about irritation. At night would be a different story.
The Cygolites are bright. Battery life is good (rechargeable) I've ridden 112 miles and it was still blinking after a full day. I usually recharge after every two rides which vary between 40-50 miles usually.
Old 05-10-18, 01:09 PM
maartendc

Originally Posted by Dchiefransom
Is the tail light adjustable so it's not angled down when attached to the seat post? I'd get a flasher for the front that is brighter than 20 lumens for daytime and use the strobe feature.
I've actually got it mounted right below my seat post clamp, so it sits pretty much horizontal, it works fairly well from what I can tell looking at the back of my bike.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into something brighter. They also make a larger version of it which is 80 lumens, should be good for daytime use I think.

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I would invest in a good German headlights. They don't "blind" on coming motorists.
That is a valid concern, but mostly for night time. Ive got a Sigma light on my commuter bike which is German safety standard approved (STVZO or something), and it is great. However, for daytime use I dont care if it annoys cars, I need to be seen!

Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
I'm a fan of the Cygolite brand.
As far as a be seen light, go with a reflector and any cheap blinker.
I have a Cygolite Expilion 850 and a Cygolite Metro 450. I do off road trail riding during night though.
I couldn't find anything cheaper than $30 from cygolite, even their lower end ~100 lumen offerings cost around $30.
If $30 is an acceptable price for you, you can get a 500 lumen light from cygolite. It's important to note, lights designed to output more lumens usually have larger batteries which will last longer for just blinking.
https://www.amazon.com/Cygolite-Metr...dp/B00E1NQ3DU/
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
+1 on the Cygolite Metro 450. Very bright flash mode in bright daylight. Some say "irritatingly" bright. Bright flashing lights are present on all manner of vehicles from school buses and motorcycles to emergency vehicles and garbage trucks. There's a reason, THEY GRAB ATTENTION of other motorists. I'm not very worried about irritation. At night would be a different story.
The Cygolites are bright. Battery life is good (rechargeable) I've ridden 112 miles and it was still blinking after a full day. I usually recharge after every two rides which vary between 40-50 miles usually.
Thanks for the recommendations. I have heard good things about Cygolite in general, but all of their lights are fairly large and the "headlight beam" type, not just simple blinkers. I am looking for something a bit more unobtrusive and lightweight for daytime use only. Most of the bigger ones are designed to light up your path at night, which I don't need.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
To be see I'd recommend a light that has a wide beam/dispersion. I've got a Lifeline brand 300-lumen light that was great for this. Bright enough to grab attention and bring enough to see as well, though my route is well lit.
Good point, I will take the wide beam into consideration.
Old 05-10-18, 02:44 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I have a Metro 400. It's a very good light with excellent battery life...however, the beam is quite narrow and focused. Good for seeing where you're going as it can project a beam far ahead, so great for trails and unlit roads, but perhaps not great for others to see if they are not in the narrow field of view.
Old 05-10-18, 02:49 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I would invest in a good German headlights. They don't "blind" on coming motorists.
yea ... but you can't see the potholes and debris when you cycle 20 miles an hour in the pitch dark on roads you have never been on before
Old 05-10-18, 02:53 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a pair of Blackburn Super Flea's. The form factor is small; these are daytime 'be seen' lights. Three settings: blink, solid low, solid high, with advertised run times of 5 hours, 3 hours, and 1 hour.

There's a 1.5 hour out-and-back ride I do regularly. I start with one light on blink and one on high. At the midpoint, I switch. On longer routes, I will use blink and low.
Old 05-10-18, 03:48 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 96 Posts
If you want to be visible, get a helmet light rather than a frame light. Frame lights tend to be hidden behind parked cars and traffic. Helmet lights do not get hidden. I personally use Light and Motion 360+ and love ‘em.
Old 05-10-18, 04:40 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into something brighter. They also make a larger version of it which is 80 lumens, should be good for daytime use I think.
The Knog Mr. Chips.

Con is if you think Mini Chippy is expensive, Mr. Chips is more so.

But it is bright enough to be seen during the day, and with a 120 degree spread so you don’t have to worry is anybody seeing my pencil beam. As far as blinding others, not during the day. (At night, you need another light.)

For me it’s a great light for daytime in the city, no matter if bright or overcast. Also in areas with mottled lighting, such as going in and out of tree shadows for example.

One last point, retroreflectors on the Knog lights are a checkoff item. BUT, retroreflectors in the daytime are useless unless the sun is right behind the viewer, and even then next to useless. Why are some people here recommending reflectors for daytime use?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-10-18 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-11-18, 07:22 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by JohnnyCyclist
I have a pair of Blackburn Super Flea's. The form factor is small; these are daytime 'be seen' lights. Three settings: blink, solid low, solid high, with advertised run times of 5 hours, 3 hours, and 1 hour.

There's a 1.5 hour out-and-back ride I do regularly. I start with one light on blink and one on high. At the midpoint, I switch. On longer routes, I will use blink and low.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have to check out blackburn, they seem to make some interesting products. I would definitely need the blink setting, because I regularly do a 5 hour ride.

Originally Posted by Aubergine
If you want to be visible, get a helmet light rather than a frame light. Frame lights tend to be hidden behind parked cars and traffic. Helmet lights do not get hidden. I personally use Light and Motion 360+ and love ‘em.
Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't really considered helmet lights, although they are perhaps a good solution as well. Will look into those.

Originally Posted by mr_bill

The Knog Mr. Chips.

Con is if you think Mini Chippy is expensive, Mr. Chips is more so.

But it is bright enough to be seen during the day, and with a 120 degree spread so you don’t have to worry is anybody seeing my pencil beam. As far as blinding others, not during the day. (At night, you need another light.)

For me it’s a great light for daytime in the city, no matter if bright or overcast. Also in areas with mottled lighting, such as going in and out of tree shadows for example.

One last point, retroreflectors on the Knog lights are a checkoff item. BUT, retroreflectors in the daytime are useless unless the sun is right behind the viewer, and even then next to useless. Why are some people here recommending reflectors for daytime use?

-mr. bill
Thanks a lot! Good to hear a positive recommendation for the Mr. Chips. The only downside I have been reading about it online is the battery life. How do you get on with it? The eco flash setting is rated at 60 hours, so that sounds more than enough (even if it only gets half that in real life maybe), and it looks like a good attention grabbing mode from videos I have seen. The other modes are only around 4-5 hours so perhaps a bit too short for my longer rides.

Exactly, would be great for daytime visibility at intersections with the wide beam. Also when it is bright out but you get under some tree canopy. Around here drivers tend to be blinded by the sun and then have poor visibility in tree shadows.
Old 05-11-18, 07:45 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
For long day rides eco flash is fine both for visibility and battery life - and you are right, it's a somewhat interesting flash pattern, alternating left half/right half, but a fairly slow strobe.

-mr. bill
Old 05-11-18, 07:53 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There is a vast divide between what is a good headlight and what is a good "be seen" light. For a daytime running light, I go for a Blackburn 2'Fer. Claims 60 lumens, runtime around 5 hours, will clip/mount pretty much anywhere, and can be had for about 20 bucks. Good angle dispersion on the light, plenty visible even from distance. And for the people that obsess over how much things weigh, a whopping 18 grams.
Old 05-13-18, 01:37 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine

Discontinued model , replaced by the new Vis Pro

https://www.lightandmotion.com/vis-360-pro
Old 05-13-18, 03:20 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Bontrager Circuit
https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...helmet-review/

Old 05-13-18, 09:15 PM
Ryan Olivas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pakeboi
Thanks for the recommendation, But isn't this too pricey?
Old 05-13-18, 11:27 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Hello everyone,

I decided to invest in a good set of "be seen" lights for my road bike, since on my weekend rides I tend to have to share the road with cars quite a bit. (I wish I could do all dedicated trails, but I can't).

I got the Knog Blinder R70 taillight, because of its 70 lumens rear brightness, which is good for grabbing car's attention even in bright daylight. Very pleased with it so far. Well built and bright. Easy to fit on the bike.

You should also go for a rear light on your helmet.

If I could only have one rear light, I would choose one on my helmet, over one on my rack or seatpost, every time.

As for a front headlight, whilst I expect this would be more than you want to pay, I would recommend something like a Cateye Volt 1600/1700, which has a day time flash which consists of two flashes combined, with one flash going at 200lumens and another flash at 1600lumens.

In addition to the high lumen output, this particular flash setting will last over 20hrs, so you don't have to be recharging your light all the time.
Old 05-14-18, 10:36 AM
wingless

Bikes: 2011 Trek 1.2 + 2016 Trek 1.1 H2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
The Stupidbright SB3000 Headlight and the CygoLite Hotshot Pro 150 Lumen Tail Light were both selected by me for their extreme brightness and their reasonable cost. I would not hesitate to recommend these devices.

Most of my operation is during daylight hours and these lights fit the bill for maximum visibility.

IMO it is not advantageous to increase the mass of the helmet any more than required, because that additional mass can increase personal injury in a crash.
Old 05-19-18, 01:43 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
See if you can track down a Guee Sol 200. Some are apparently discontinued, so we're getting them well below cost. It's not hugely impressive at MSRP, but with the discount, it makes an excellent backup or city commuter light. Slow and fast strobe modes, and USB rechargeable. (Before anyone asks, I haven't tried the plus model, so I have no idea whether it's really an improvement.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GUEE-305-...&wl13=&veh=sem

(Only one left there at time of posting, but you should be able to find the non-plus model for around US$20 somewhere.)