Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

So I'm a Clydesdale?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-19, 08:22 AM
cdaniels

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
So I'm a Clydesdale?

Wow way to hurt a guy. I'm not fat or even fluffy but I am 206 but with little boddy fat on the BMI scale. Oh well
Old 01-31-19, 08:33 AM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
It's ok, embrace it, remember the bigger you are the harder it is to kidnap you....eat cake, lol.
Old 01-31-19, 08:49 AM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Skinny guy jealousy ...

The classification was/is done bike bike nerds who want the world to look like the average bean pole bike racer with little upper body strength, etc ... Just run with it

A more realistic number would be 100 kilos
Old 01-31-19, 08:59 AM
aclass

Bikes: Specialized Roubiax Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
It's ok, embrace it, remember the bigger you are the harder it is to kidnap you....eat cake, lol.
Old 01-31-19, 10:31 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by mynewnchome
^for the win^

your only a baby clyde anyway
Old 01-31-19, 10:39 AM
zowie

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's just a category of weight, not fitness, fatness or moral qualities. "Way to hurt a guy" is a little offensive.
Old 01-31-19, 11:41 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
The term "Clydesdale" is a reference to your overall weight. The boundary has been arbitrarily drawn at 200lbs. It has nothing to do with your fitness, BMI, or general health. You could be nearly seven feet tall and be in supreme athletic condition with the perfect BMI and for the purposes of BF still be a Clyde. I'm assuming your tongue was firmly planted in cheek, but these days one never knows. As for finding the humor "a little offensive," well, there you go.

-Kedosto
Old 01-31-19, 08:33 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
meh.. I own Clydesdale horses.. I wear it with honor.
Old 01-31-19, 08:38 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by JLDickmon
meh.. I own Clydesdale horses.. I wear it with honor.
same here. its even better when I out run some guy on a 5K bike, not that it happens very often
Old 01-31-19, 08:42 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
same here. its even better when I out run some guy on a 5K bike, not that it happens very often
That's not likely to happen with me, but I bet I could pull a hitch wagon better than he can..
Old 01-31-19, 09:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by JLDickmon
That's not likely to happen with me, but I bet I could pull a hitch wagon better than he can..
lmao!! that is classic....

I beat a guy once, ONCE on a 5K Trek, I think it was brand new and he was defiantly a new cyclist with deep pockets, he just looked too "green" I guess for lack of a better word. He thought he was really fast, he was probably 170lbs, I just destroyed him! It felt great.....I had 100 lbs on him. He was quick but didn't have any endurance at all yet. I am sure by now he is either a better cyclist or sold the bike.
Old 02-04-19, 02:03 PM
teebox

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR 40, 2017 Felt Versa Speed and 2017 Cannondale Adventure 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a Clydesdale and proud of it....

Who cares what others think... I am 58 yrs old, 5' 6" and weigh 240 lbs. 6 years ago I weighed 400 lbs. I figure I am out on a bike doing something. A big slow guy on a bike will beat the guy on the couch everyday. If the picture came through, I even have a Clydesdale jersey that I wear with pride when I ride.
Old 02-08-19, 11:38 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by cdaniels
Wow way to hurt a guy. I'm not fat or even fluffy but I am 206 but with little boddy fat on the BMI scale. Oh well
Stick around, you ain't seen nothin' yet.
Old 02-08-19, 02:11 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
we're more likely to ride thru slush & force the tires down to pavement ... ;-)
Old 02-09-19, 04:39 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
It's just a category of weight, not fitness, fatness or moral qualities. "Way to hurt a guy" is a little offensive.
This.
Assuming OP was not 100% kidding

Last edited by downhillmaster; 02-09-19 at 04:42 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 07:52 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Hey, Clydesdales, big, powerful and commercially very popular ask the beer crowd.
Old 02-09-19, 08:01 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Skinny guy jealousy ...

The classification was/is done bike bike nerds who want the world to look like the average bean pole bike racer with little upper body strength, etc ... Just run with it

A more realistic number would be 100 kilos
People would still complain. Why not 200 kilos, and then call it a day.
Old 02-09-19, 08:40 AM
aclass

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by teebox
Who cares what others think... I am 58 yrs old, 5' 6" and weigh 240 lbs. 6 years ago I weighed 400 lbs. I figure I am out on a bike doing something. A big slow guy on a bike will beat the guy on the couch everyday. If the picture came through, I even have a Clydesdale jersey that I wear with pride when I ride.

If I knew where to buy one of these, I'd totally wear it.
Old 02-09-19, 08:55 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
At 206 if you are in the "normal BMI" range you must be 6'5" tall. That puts you in the 99.6 percentile range for adults in the USA. If you are as tall or taller than 99.6% of the adult population at 6'5" you would be the shortest you can possibly be while staying out of the "overweight" BMI category. At 6'4" your BMI would be in the overweight category. To be in the middle of the normal BMI range at 206 you would have to be 6'7", or taller than 99.95% of adults in the USA.

But even if you are 6'5" or 6'7" you are at a disadvantage to a 170 pound cyclist unless your power output per pound matches that cyclists, and due to the aerodynamic drag of your larger frame, even must exceed the 160 pound cyclist's power per pound. On flat ground it won't matter as much but on a decent climb power output per pound matters a whole lot. The skinny but strong people will get up that climb faster than the thick people if they both have the same power output.

So yes, even if you are in your ideal weight range health-wise, you belong to a group in the cycling world who has to deal with the physical reality that dragging your skinny but heavy butt over the 1000 foot climb is going to take more energy than it would for someone not over 200 pounds.

Clidesdale horses are not fat horses (unless they're overfed and underexercised). They're a larger breed. If you are appropriately fed and well exercised you, my Clidesdale friend, are a different breed from the 5'9.5" 164 pound average height US male also with a "normal" BMI. There is nothing wrong with that. Your body has advantages in different pursuits than his.

But we can all excel assuming we work hard at it. Clidesdale may not be the horse of choice at the track but they do an excellent job pulling fire engine wagons and carts full of beer at parades. Track horses wouldn't be able to do that. And fortunately tall but appropriately heavy humans do still win races if they work hard at it and excel.

I'm 6'3" and was 212 a year ago. That was clearly heavier than normal BMI. I needed to get below 200 to be in the normal range. But at 200 I was still slow on hills and still had some fat on my belly, so I kept going. I'm 178 now and hills don't slow me down as much.
Old 02-09-19, 09:03 AM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by aclass
If I knew where to buy one of these, I'd totally wear it.
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/aero...am-clydesdale/
Old 02-09-19, 01:19 PM
aclass

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the link! Disappointed to see that 2XL is the smallest they offer. I'm on the lower end of the Clydesdale scale so a 2XL will be too big for me.
Old 02-09-19, 01:29 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by aclass
Thanks for the link! Disappointed to see that 2XL is the smallest they offer. I'm on the lower end of the Clydesdale scale so a 2XL will be too big for me.

Hey, a sharer of my plight! I'm not tall enough to be capital-T Tall, and I'm not big enough to be capital-B Big. I wear a large in most every jersey, but in long sleeve the sleeves are almost always too short. Jersey lengths are either too long or too short, I feel like I'm Goldillockin' it every time I try a new jersey.

To the OP, don't be offended by the categorization. We over 200lbs will never be the fastest up the hill, ever. That's for the 140lb guys. Our advantage is that they can't chase us down-- I can do 60+ miles on just water. Those little dudes are like hummingbirds, they have to eat every 90 minutes or they'll die. I'd love to be able to climb faster, but not at the cost of having to constantly have jersey pockets full of food.
Old 02-09-19, 02:53 PM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'm 320 pounds, 5'11" and only 19 years old. Part of the reason I'm hopping back on the bike is to get below 250 pounds and more towards a "normal" BMI.
Old 02-09-19, 05:46 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by fullergarrett
I'm 320 pounds, 5'11" and only 19 years old. Part of the reason I'm hopping back on the bike is to get below 250 pounds and more towards a "normal" BMI.
Good for you! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 02-09-19, 09:21 PM
Carverbiker

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hi, I am Carverbiker and I am a Clydesdale! Do not let it bother you, it is just a reference to the animal kingdom as a general description of your cycling attributes. Clydesdales are large powerful animals and as such are typically at home powering away on the flats, can handle the wind, and are good at pulling (the draft behind us is huge!). We suffer going uphill fast but typically can get there if we maintain a moderate and steady pace until the pitch gets over 10% or so.

Others are Mountain Goats, these are the super lightweight climbers that are very at home climbing steep hills with ease. Think people sub 150lbs but often 125-135. They get crushed on flats, wind, and any time surges are made. They will typically lack the muscular strength to create the required force theses situations require.

Jack rabbits are sprinters, highly explosive for short distances often with frequent, multiple burst capability.

As a Clydesdale, I would look to improve your aerodynamic position on the bike, as we typically have more frontal area to push through the air and learn how to pace yourself up various length and steepness of climbs.

Finally, although the term was originally meant as stated above, with the explosion of obesity in the US the term has been somewhat commingled with those individuals who may be bit overweight and as such are in the 200+lbs range.

I am probably a bit of both, I could definitely lose a few but lifted weights and put on muscle mass which I can not seem to get rid of now.

If if you want to look at a pro tour rider look on YouTube or google for a Spaniard named Miguel Indurain. He won the Tour de France several times in the 90’s and he was probably 185-190 lbs when racing which is very large for a TDF all a rounder, most are in the 145-165 lbs range. Yes there is speculation he was using PEDs but his strategy was to limit his losses on the climbs and crush flats, wind and time trials.

Hope that helps, but seriously just enjoy riding your bike!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.