Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did my fit really change that much...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-24-19, 09:31 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts

or was it wrong to begin with?

Been riding a size 56 2007 Specialized Tricross comp for the last 10 years (bought used). Came with a 110mm stem that I replaced a few years ago with a lower angle 110mm stem. Fit always seemed ok to me.

Last year I really started having issues with saddle comfort and went through a few, then a few more this year. This year in particular I was experiencing a lot of hamstring pain and soreness especially in my left leg.

So a few days ago I swapped my 110mm stem for an 80mm stem that I had lying around. Not sure why, but it seemed like the reach had become too much for me...and turns out the 80mm stem seems to have helped all around. I feel more comfortable on the bike, the hamstring pain seems to have diminished, and the saddle I was riding felt a little more comfortable (although I did swap it for another new one yesterday). In terms of position I feel good on the bike - pretty close to KOPS from a casual check. I feel maybe a bit scrunched so might go to a 90mm stem after a few more tweaks.

I'm closing in on 53 years in a few months. Did my fit change? Was it wrong to begin with? Or maybe both? My fitness level is the same as the last few years, no weight gain or anything like that.
Old 07-24-19, 12:30 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Can't see how a shorter stem would affect the hamstrings, but a different saddle position probably would.

Formulas never seemed to work for me. I stumbled onto my best fit proportions quite by accident with my old 56cm Basso. The ergonomics were so good I copied all the dimensions to my other bikes, even the 54cm frames. Course, I failed to write it all down. Good thing I kept a bike or two!

Regarding physical changes, there are a couple of threads discussing the need for smaller frames as our bodies change. I think most of us need less saddle to bar drop as we get older. Enjoy your age while you can. I just turned 60, and it's beginning to show.

Last edited by horatio; 07-24-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-24-19, 07:39 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Regarding physical changes, there are a couple of threads discussing the need for smaller frames as our bodies change. I think most of us need less saddle to bar drop as we get older. Enjoy your age while you can. I just turned 60, and it's beginning to show.
That seems backwards to me. Less saddle to bar drop requires a larger frame, not smaller.
Old 07-24-19, 07:47 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, but it could be caused by a hip flexibility issue.

If your hip joints are less flexible, you aren't able to stretch out your back to reach the longer stem position, so you compensate by bending (rounding) your back. That in turn could put more strain on your lower back and hamstrings.

Can you touch your toes while standing with straight knees?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 07-25-19, 04:28 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I became a convert to professional fitting when I bought a new road bike a few years ago at age 60 that came with a discounted Retul fitting. The fitter moved my cleats all the way back on my shoes and raised my seat about .5 inches, from settings I'd arrived at myself by tinkering over the years. Made huge differences, I was surprised.

He also echoed terrymorse's comments - said my hip flexors were very tight, that can increase with age or just be a natural issue. I've been doing hip flexor stretches since then. Now on longer, hillier rides I don't even feel it the next day. Not sure which contributed more, the fit changes or the stretching - I tend the credit the fit changes since I saw immediate benefit, but I think both were positive changes.
Old 07-25-19, 05:57 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Just a shot in the dark here, but it could be caused by a hip flexibility issue.

If your hip joints are less flexible, you aren't able to stretch out your back to reach the longer stem position, so you compensate by bending (rounding) your back. That in turn could put more strain on your lower back and hamstrings.

Can you touch your toes while standing with straight knees?
Not easily - I haven't been good about stretching recently so it's a good possibility it's just a flexibility issue. Have never been real flexible to begin with but it's gotten worse.

jpescatore - interesting about mving the cleats because I recently did that on my own, mostly due to a hotspot on my left foot.

I'll work on flexibility and see what happens, then possibly go for a fitting. The closest shop that is known for fittings is a couple hours from me though.
Old 07-26-19, 04:45 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Terrymorse is on the right track. You are tight, my friend. Everyday stretching is needed. I know from experience it will solve some issues and prevent others.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-27-19, 04:12 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
My bike fit changes with my age and conditioning. After two months in physical therapy this spring/early summer working on my injured shoulder and neck, I retweaked a fit that used to be comfortable to better suit my new me.

Regarding reach, to better suit my neck injuries (permanent C1 and C2 damage), I've had to go from a 125mm stem to 80 or 90mm. Much better. I'm more upright, comfortable and better balanced, yet can comfortably get aero by using the hoods and keeping my forearms more parallel with the ground, or using the drops. Couldn't do that comfortably with the longer stem, or before physical therapy.

And I'll need to do the same soon with my other road bike -- I'm way too stretched out on the 140mm stem, even though it's a slightly smaller frame (56cm vs 58cm on the other bike).

And I can feel other minor differences between the bikes. Different saddles (Selle Italia solid saddle on one, Bontrager with pressure relief cutout on the other), shoes (Scott and Fizik), pedals/cleats (Look Delta on one, Shimano SPD-SL on the other). It's just enough that one bike is comfortable for 50-60 mile rides, while the other begins to wear on me after about 30 miles.
Old 07-27-19, 04:27 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by davester
That seems backwards to me. Less saddle to bar drop requires a larger frame, not smaller.
I agree about needing a larger frame for less drop. I should have worded that better.

I recently rediscovered the Road forum’s fit thread from 2011, and that has me questioning my setup. I’m willing to tinker a little, especially if it will help with neck and shoulder issues I’ve experienced now that I’m older.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 07-27-19 at 05:19 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 04:55 PM
DaleEArnold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
'm 66 and HAVE noticed that my preferred stem length has shortened over time from 110-120mm down to 90-100mm depending on the bike I've chosen. It must be my backs just not as limber as it once was!!
Old 07-30-19, 08:40 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
fit

I had triceps pain on my last 2 rides. Sunday, it was like hitting a wall, one minute fine, 2-3 minutes of feeling a little fatigue, next 10 minutes get off the bike and walk type pain. Except that I don't. The pain became so intense I would have stopped, except I was so close to home (1.5 mi to go) and just wanted it over with in the 90° + sun. The "only" thing that was different, I spent probably 20% of the 20 mile ride in the drops. I ride almost exclusively on my hoods, even when trying to ride fast (forearms parallel to ground).

Reading the posts above, touching my toes, seems the same as the last time, (probably a year ago) not palm flat, but ok.

The biggest surprise to me was that changing position, did not solve the problem. Sitting up straight no hands, yes. Riding one handed with the other at my side or behind my back, yes. Out of the saddle dancing on the pedals, on a little hill, ok. But any weight at all, even upright on the tops of the bars, excruciating. Very strange feeling to have pushed a single (right and left equally) muscle into such distress with such rapid onset, and with almost no sense of recovery after changing positions. (My forearms started to hurt a lot also as tried to compensate.)

Obviously my body was not ready to handle the change in position, but I never imagined the difference would be so pronounced, or sudden. I' m going to go out now before it gets toohot amd go for a 10 mile ride to see how it all feels. This ain't for sissies, but beats the alternative.
Old 07-30-19, 08:57 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
I had triceps pain on my last 2 rides.
I've had triceps pain on and off for years. According to my chiropractor ride buddy, pain in your triceps comes from your neck. She gave me neck exercises to do, and they help a lot.

I do the forward tilt exercise when waiting for a traffic light to change, and the rest of them when off the bike.

WebMD: How to Stretch Your Neck

Old 07-30-19, 09:42 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I've had triceps pain on and off for years. According to my chiropractor ride buddy, pain in your triceps comes from your neck. She gave me neck exercises to do, and they help a lot.

I do the forward tilt exercise when waiting for a traffic light to change, and the rest of them when off the bike.

Thx, I didn't mention, (I forgot), at the very end, neck hurt like heck too. Will check into exercises... ugh.

I think riding in the drops (which I really don't do since I started riding again) may have pushed my already extended position, which I am accustomed to, and like, into one that may put too much weight on my hands.
Old 08-04-19, 09:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I've lowered saddles a bit in the last couple of years. Maybe they were a bit too high to begin with - because I have not shrunk in overall height. Some minor knee pain for a short time made me consider the downward adjustment and I've stayed with the lower height.
Old 08-05-19, 10:17 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts

That's fun. I've totally forgotten that in my 20s I used to do neck rolls religiously. I'd totally relax my neck, drop my head to its limit and very, very slowly rotate it all the way around a couple times. I'll start doing that again. That's very similar to the McKenzie stretches I've been doing for about a year, in that it's mostly about finding muscles which are holding and learning to release them.

I do push-ups for triceps pain, one set to exhaustion about every 3rd day. Works well.
Old 08-05-19, 10:26 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

The whole idea here is that one is allowed to get older, but not to age. We can really, really slow aging through exercise, stretching, and diet. When something starts to hurt, it's not because you've become older, it's that in becoming older you've lost some of the innate resilience you have when younger. You have to replace that with conscious choices.

My motto is that age doesn't make you change your fit, weakness does. Don't change fit, get fit. But it's your choice.

Your reach is correct when, hands on hoods, forearms horizontal, your upper arms form a right angle with your straight torso. That angle mostly remains the same throughout the range of elbow bend, but is most easily seen when all the way down.
Old 08-05-19, 10:27 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Thx, I didn't mention, (I forgot), at the very end, neck hurt like heck too. Will check into exercises... ugh.

I think riding in the drops (which I really don't do since I started riding again) may have pushed my already extended position, which I am accustomed to, and like, into one that may put too much weight on my hands.
Extending your reach doesn't put too much weight on your hands. Moving forward on the saddle or having the saddle too far forward or perhaps tilted down slightly does that.

For neck pain, see: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...discovery.html
Old 08-08-19, 12:15 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I recently found out the hospital I use and prefer, and associated clinics, offer a Bike Fit as part of a PT program. I have asked my doc for a referral. Now I'm left with the question of, which bike do I take for the fitting? I've never had a true fitting before. But as prone to injury as I seem to be lately, it makes sense to do now. Espcially if it is only the cost of a co-pay... I try my best to get all my bikes to match crank axle to seat rail, seat to handlebar reach and such. Best as I can...
Old 08-08-19, 07:56 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Terrymorse is on the right track. You are tight, my friend. Everyday stretching is needed. I know from experience it will solve some issues and prevent others.
Yep. Makes the drops a lot easier as well.
Old 08-13-19, 07:35 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts

Usually that neck pain is from having to hold your head up at an unaccustomed angle, from having a lower position than usual. In my experience it doesn't take a whole lot of riding in that position to strengthen the neck muscles and improve the flexibility - a few hundred miles over time, maybe less - though I suppose neck exercises could also work.
Old 08-15-19, 06:15 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
I haven't read all the posts so I don't know if this has been answered but have you lost height and, if so, is it upper body? When I started riding it was around 1982. I was 36 at the time and I was 5'10 1/2" with a 32.5" inseam. I rode a 54 frame with a 100mm stem and it fit me perfectly. Since then, thanks to aging and a fusion of C1 & C2 thanks to a cycling accident, I have lost almost 3" in height although my inseam is unchanged. I currently have two road bikes. A 55 Guru steel w/100mm stem and a 52 CAAD 12 that actually measures out to a 54 frame with a 100 mm stem. Totally comfortable on both of them. Why nothing has changed I have no idea. Kind of curious if others have had fit change as a result of aging bodies.
Old 08-25-19, 02:07 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Far too many variables at play for any of us to really give an informed opinion. I think you should consider paying for a bike fit or at a minimum have someone with bike fitting experience observe how you fit on your bike and offer suggestions.
Old 08-26-19, 03:39 AM
billyymc

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
Far too many variables at play for any of us to really give an informed opinion. I think you should consider paying for a bike fit or at a minimum have someone with bike fitting experience observe how you fit on your bike and offer suggestions.
Turns out that with swapping saddles (tried and ISM Road saddle and didnt' like it) I had moved some things around and didn't record my fit prior to the swap. I have it dialed in very nicely now, with no plans to move or change anything!
Likes For billyymc:
Old 09-04-19, 09:40 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Originally Posted by billyymc
Turns out that with swapping saddles (tried and ISM Road saddle and didnt' like it) I had moved some things around and didn't record my fit prior to the swap. I have it dialed in very nicely now, with no plans to move or change anything!

Now, make sure you write everything down.

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio: