Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do bike shoes damage floors?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-07-19, 04:56 PM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

I am part of the organization committee for an upcoming bike ride int the Houston area. One of the rest stops is at a church. The nice folks at the church have offered to open the building so folks can use the bathrooms. I don't think they realize how many riders could be coming through. After thinking about it a bit, I have to wonder about the affect of a couple of hundred people walking through on their floors with bike cleats. Will they damage indoor flooring? I am not aware what kind of floors they are, but linoleum or carpet is probably a good guess. The folks at this church are really going all out to welcome us, and I would hate to repay that with damaged floors.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-07-19, 05:06 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Shoes themselves won't, generally...but cleats and their hardware can, depending on the flooring and its finish. If at all in doubt, put signs up politely asking riders going in to take their shoes off.
Old 09-07-19, 05:10 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Most 3 hole cleats are made of plastic. Most 2 hole cleats are recessed in the shoe. I really don’t think it should be an issue.

If you wanted an abundance of caution, you could ask everyone on the ride to have cleat covers, or you could lay down a tarp/plastic mat/paper path for everyone to follow while picking up their snacks.
Old 09-07-19, 08:59 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I did a group ride a few years back and a local person opened their home to rides for a rest stop. Had a biff right by the back door and it was a club ride type setting. He was not able to ride anymore but still wanting to be in the group setting this stop became a habit for the ride. The club always stopped and gossiped, used the loo and watered up.

Anyways he has wood floors. Not sure the kind or quality but after about 2 rides they were beat to crap. Luckily he didn’t care and was happy to have the friends stop in still. I do remember after that as a group purchased some rugs for him. That worked out great. He never did fix the floor either that I know of.

What i was getting at is find some rugs or ask that shoes be removed just in case
Old 09-08-19, 05:17 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
Stop in to Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up a roll of Ram Board. Tape it down along the path to the bathroom. We use it on remodeling jobs to prevent floor damage during construction.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 09-08-19, 06:39 AM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses.
Old 09-08-19, 09:48 AM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Either cover the floor or have the shoes removed, otherwise the floors may be damaged.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 09-08-19, 04:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
It's cheap to bulk buy small, medium, & large open toe flip flops for the group. You should already have a head count for knowing how many you might need. I think they're about .50 per pair. Donate them when the group leaves to the church.
Old 09-08-19, 08:47 PM
Dr.Lou

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 61 Posts
FWIW, I always use café covers when wearing road shoes, not to protect the floors as much as to protect my cleats.
Cycling by myself most of the time I am not up on what others are doing. I've never seen anyone using café covers in the Philippines nor have I seen them for sale.
Likes For Dr.Lou:
Old 09-08-19, 08:58 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Lou
FWIW, I always use café covers when wearing road shoes, not to protect the floors as much as to protect my cleats.
Cycling by myself most of the time I am not up on what others are doing. I've never seen anyone using café covers in the Philippines nor have I seen them for sale.
Cleat covers over road shoe cleats or any exposed cleats also help to prevent slipping.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-09-19, 06:48 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl
Will they damage indoor flooring? I am not aware what kind of floors they are, but linoleum or carpet is probably a good guess. The folks at this church are really going all out to welcome us, and I would hate to repay that with damaged floors.

Thanks,
Jeff

IME, the part of the church you guys will be using is probably going to be the meeting hall, rather than the chapel. These are multi purpose rooms, and more often than not, have institutional vinyl ‘linoleum’ floors, the better to hold up to the folding tables and chairs of the bake sales and bingo nights that usually take place there.

Typical bike shoes don’t pose much of a threat, unless you’re one of those people who wear 2-bolt SPDs with road shoes, and who does that?
The bigger issue is that 3-bolt LOOOK/SL cleats are slippery on hard smooth floors.
Cleat covers are as much about adding traction and protecting the cleats, as they are protecting the floor.
Asking riders to take their shoes off for a rest stop is just silly.

A couple of well-placed carpet mats (there’s probably already one by the door) in a high traffic spot, like the baked-goods table would go a long way to protect both the floors, and the safety of people in slippery shoes.

Last edited by Ironfish653; 09-09-19 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-09-19, 11:18 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Most 3 hole cleats are made of plastic. Most 2 hole cleats are recessed in the shoe. I really don’t think it should be an issue.
2 hole cleats are typically recessed, but they aren't always recessed enough. I know that mine will slightly touch the floor and they are MTB shoes. If someone spends a lot of time walking in their shoes it could be worse as that rim of tread around the cleat wears.

If the church doesn't already have any carpet, a cheap runner carpet from Home Depot or even a thrift shop could be of service.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Asking riders to take their shoes off for a rest stop is just silly.
Especially a *bathroom* stop! Only the desperate will be using that one.
Old 09-11-19, 08:53 AM
fishboy316

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Cannondale AL1 Lefty MTB, Trek X01, Trek Farley 7,1951 Raleigh Sport, 57&60 Raleigh Tourist, 70 Raleigh Super Course, 80's Soma Prestiege,72 Raleigh Grand Sports, 85 Club Fuji, 76 Raleigh Competition, 85 Panasonic,70's Peugot u08. & more

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
Cheap runners at Home Depot or Lowes. Keep them on the runners. Cleats WILL damage the floor.
Old 09-11-19, 03:00 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
klip klop tearing up wherever they walk.