Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

MTB to Road Bike

Old 09-12-19, 08:24 PM
Fen

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MTB to Road Bike

Of course I learned to ride a bike as a kid, but I’m coming back to it in middle age. I bought my first MTB about 2 years ago when the child joined a MTB club. I love, love, love it, but the weather is not so great in my neck of the woods. Spring tends to be icy and muddy in the woods, and trails are sometimes unrideable well into April. The roads are fine long before the woods. I’m considering a road bike. Anyone got a suggestion? I’m currently riding 3-4 times a week. I have a Trek Roscoe 8.
Old 09-12-19, 10:06 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Not sure if you need a new bike to ride on the road. You could just get some narrower, low profile tires for your Trek.
If you are convinced you need a new bike, then be sure to try them out first. If you are accustomed to your MTB, then a drop bar, tight geometry road bike may not be comfortable for you.
Old 09-13-19, 02:33 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Fen
Of course I learned to ride a bike as a kid, but I’m coming back to it in middle age. I bought my first MTB about 2 years ago when the child joined a MTB club. I love, love, love it, but the weather is not so great in my neck of the woods. Spring tends to be icy and muddy in the woods, and trails are sometimes unrideable well into April. The roads are fine long before the woods. I’m considering a road bike. Anyone got a suggestion? I’m currently riding 3-4 times a week. I have a Trek Roscoe 8.
A lot of people who like their MTB have converted them to dropbar and bar-end shifters. There's a thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nversions.html

I have quite a few bicycles but if I had to get rid of all of them except for one I'd keep one of my MTB/dropbar conversions as it is so versatile.

Some examples of my MTB/Dropbar conversions.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-13-19, 05:13 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
N+1
Likes For bakerjw:
Old 09-13-19, 06:04 AM
Fen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Not sure if you need a new bike to ride on the road. You could just get some narrower, low profile tires for your Trek.
If you are convinced you need a new bike, then be sure to try them out first. If you are accustomed to your MTB, then a drop bar, tight geometry road bike may not be comfortable for you.
Well, “need” and “want” are two different things, aren’t they? I enjoy the time I spend on my bike, but don’t always enjoy the schlepping to a trailhead. It would be nice if I could leave my front door and just go on two wheels. Almost all of the group rides here are on the road, but I do sometimes MTB with friends. I’ve taken the MTB on the road a few times (once I got a bit lost too close to dusk and decided to leave the woods and ride the 3-4 miles back to my car on the road) and I didn’t like the feel of it at all. I’m not looking to give up the MTB, but wouldn’t mind adding to my fleet, such as it is.
Old 09-13-19, 06:17 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Fen
Spring tends to be icy and muddy in the woods, and trails are sometimes unrideable well into April.
Do you live way north like I do? We often still have snow on the ground in April.
Old 09-13-19, 06:38 AM
Fen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Do you live way north like I do? We often still have snow on the ground in April.
Upstate NY. It can snow in April or even May.
Old 09-13-19, 06:43 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
They don't have to be narrower, just smooth.
Old 09-13-19, 06:48 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Nah. You need a gravel bike.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Likes For horatio:
Old 09-13-19, 06:57 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I vote for you getting a second bike @Fen.

It sounds like you're not done with offroad riding and that Trek Roscoe 8 sure isn't a 20 year old rigid mountain bike asking to be turned into a road bike right now.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 09-13-19, 06:58 AM
PickleRick

Bikes: Felt Z4, Trek Remedy 9.8, Pivot 429SL Di2, Salsa Warbird Di2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 18 Posts
Ha ha ! Yep, snow on Mother's day, oh joy!

So I'm not much on the whole "covert your MTB to a road bike" or road bike to MTB, or hybrid to electric etc., etc. thing. I prefer to purchase bikes which are purpose-built. Saves me a lot of grief.

My recommendation to you, as a fellow "Upstater" , is to go to a local reputable bike shop or sports medicine facility and splurge on a proper bike fit - since it sounds like it's been some time since you've been on a road bike you really should take a hard look at what your physical (cockpit) needs are.

Once you have your fit info I would start shopping. Personally I recommend you look at getting an entry-level or used "Gravel" bike. Don't let the name fool you, they are excellent on asphalt and fairly comfortable. Check out the Salsa Cutthroat.
You should also look at "Fitness" bikes. They feature flat bars and are more upright, like a MTB. The Cannondale Quick series of bikes is excellent as is the Trek FX series. Again, an entry-level or used or "Fall-Blowout" sale bike should save you some coin.
Good Luck!
Likes For PickleRick:
Old 09-13-19, 07:39 AM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by horatio
Nah. You need a gravel bike.
They are worth a look, and one should be aware of the option. Right?
Old 09-13-19, 07:42 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Fen needs a fat bike for messy trails, AND a road bike.

Why N+1 when you can N+2?
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 09-13-19, 08:15 AM
Fen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Fen needs a fat bike for messy trails, AND a road bike.

Why N+1 when you can N+2?
Don't tempt. Kid1 just outgrew (size and skills wise) her first MTB and got a new one. Kid2 is too tall for his bike (but refuses to even consider taking his sister's old one, even though it fits him) and thinks he needs a full suspension (he only does if he's paying half!) and I'm considering a road bike. I think my family is keeping the LBS in business.
Old 09-13-19, 08:24 AM
ddeand 

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I agree with the gravel/CX type bike. They cover a lot of uses, and if you’re not racing, they can be quite quick.
Old 09-13-19, 08:42 AM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 594 Posts
I'd go with a second bike, either a road or a cx/gravel.
Old 09-13-19, 09:58 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Forget a road bike - get a gravel/CX bike. There is no reason to limit yourself to 25mm tires these days - although lately some of the endurance "road" bikes take some pretty fat rubber. For you, I would get something that takes 40mm rubber and has an endurance type geometry (i.e. gravel bike). I do Crits, Cross, Gravel, MTB, and CX on mine - they are pretty versatile (well, more so with two wheelsets).
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-13-19, 11:21 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
more bikes = more fun
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 09-13-19, 11:59 AM
Fen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I find it interesting that so many have suggested a gravel bike, and honestly hadn't thought of one before. I understand that they are good for all(ish) terrain, but what if you are planning to be exclusively on pavement?
Old 09-13-19, 12:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Roscoe is a trail bike. Trying to make it a hybrid like you would with a 30yo rigid MTB just isn’t going to end well. Another bike is a better idea.

That said, I find road bikes pretty interchangeable. Only a matter of how much you want to spend on better parts or a brand name. Gravel bikes much the same. And there’s some overlap, which is a good zone to be shopping in unless you are becoming an outright roadie or gravel racer.
Old 09-13-19, 01:38 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I too live in upstate NY. MTB is my first love. I moved from VA, where the riding season is much longer than here, so I feel your pain.

I would absolutely get a road or gravel bike. I have a very strong preference for the latter, but that’s just me.

Yes you can “get by” with slicks on the MTB, but a real road/gravel bike is much better on paved or dirt/gravel roads, IMO.
Old 09-13-19, 01:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Fen
I find it interesting that so many have suggested a gravel bike, and honestly hadn't thought of one before. I understand that they are good for all(ish) terrain, but what if you are planning to be exclusively on pavement?
I ride about 70% pavement, and don’t ever see going smaller than 35mm tires. Even if I never left the pavement ever again, no way I would run smaller than 32mm.

I don’t know where in upstate you are, but a lot of the back roads are kind of crappy, and bigger tires are a big plus in my book.

Gravel Bikes are just road bike that don’t suck when you leave smooth pavement.
Old 09-16-19, 02:12 PM
Fen

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I ride about 70% pavement, and don’t ever see going smaller than 35mm tires. Even if I never left the pavement ever again, no way I would run smaller than 32mm.

I don’t know where in upstate you are, but a lot of the back roads are kind of crappy, and bigger tires are a big plus in my book.

Yes, the back roads are kind of crap. I'm going to ask around with local riders and then get something in the spring. Maybe borrow a bike to see if I like it.
Old 09-16-19, 02:43 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Fen
Yes, the back roads are kind of crap. I'm going to ask around with local riders and then get something in the spring. Maybe borrow a bike to see if I like it.
Most road riders around here ride 25s and will probably tell you anything over 28s are ridiculous...... and then 2 minutes later complain about the new chip-seal

Half the roads I ride I do are non-starters for them due to the road conditions (dirt/gravel, crappy pavement).
Old 09-16-19, 09:55 PM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Best. Definition. Ever!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.