Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Free Dumping Week...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Free Dumping Week...

Old 05-04-09, 04:35 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,747 Times in 937 Posts
Free Dumping Week...

May 2nd to May 9th if free dumping week in Thunder Bay. I always spend the entire week at the Dump scavenging bikes. Last year I got 103 bicycles in a single week. The year before about a dozen. With this in mind, I will spend the next few days keeping a record of what happens at the Dump this week. Each day I will report any finds or unusual incidents. Assuming of course that anyone is interested.

Two years ago it poured rain throughout most of FDW. Not many people took advantage of the freebie thanks to the weather. I did, however, get a really nice modified Peugeot with a Phil Wood Flip-Flop hub and a set of Cinelle Bullhorns. A nice Nishiki Landeau showed up and a couple of Peugeots. Other than that, I can't recall anything else of any worth at all.

Last year was a hoot. 103 bikes in eight days. Not all of them were Ten Speeds since I was also collecting for Bicycles for Humanity. Many of those 103 bikes now do their thing in Africa serving health care workers and the like in their quest to help people with Aids. But there were a few really nice bicycles that came my way including an eighties something Holdsworth, a really nice Peugeot "Course" which I added immediately to my personal collection, a near mint 50cm Fiori, a gorgeous Schwinn Mixte, a cosmetically challenged Miele and a eighties someting Gitane that was again near mint.

Yesterday, armed with a box of crackers, a couple of bananas, an apple and a large bottle of water, I headed off to the Dump for the beginning of free dumping. Though day one of FDW (free dump week) is usually slow, I wanted to go anyway. The only thing that showed up was a very old and horribly dilapidated old roadster from the 40s or 50s.

In the six hours I had to spend at the Dump yesterday not one Ten Speed showed up and this is incredibly unusual. Normally about a dozen or more would have been dropped of each day. More FDW results tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PCourse_Mine_Art_FullSide_3.jpg (102.7 KB, 111 views)
Miele_Jenna_Full_Side_2.jpg (105.2 KB, 106 views)
GitaneGT_Full_Side_2.jpg (109.0 KB, 93 views)
002.jpg (102.0 KB, 110 views)
001.jpg (102.8 KB, 81 views)
Old 05-04-09, 06:04 AM
kergin

Bikes: 1994 Proctor Townsend Reynolds 753, TT S3 True North, Kona Major Jake, Kona Honky Tonk, Marinoni Puima, Cannondale BBU

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice. Its funny how that coincides with the departure of students for the summer.
Old 05-04-09, 06:19 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
They don't have the equivalent of that around here any more.
Old 05-04-09, 06:29 AM
Jason1976

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah two years ago they had trash clean up day here in steelton and I picked up some bikes that were out for the trash. the only thing is I was competeing with scrap metal people. I would see bikes being taking in for scrap that I wish i would of found. I should of followed them and asked them at there next stop if they wanted to sell the bike. I am sure 10 to 20 dollars would be more then what they would get, but I didn't think about it until after the fact.

now in my area people can put them out anytime they want. I need to make some garage men friends and give them a list of what I am looking for. or a list of brands I wouldn't want like sears, huff, and so on.
Old 05-04-09, 06:36 AM
skyrider

Bikes: 85 bianchi stelvio, 80s Rossi, 80s Fiori modena

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice finds. I really like that Peugeot. Hope you dont come across any bears up there. Take care.
Old 05-04-09, 06:37 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We have a thing here locally called "Clean Up Green Up". We have it a couple of times a year and there is a steel junk collector that gets all of the steel stuff. Last fall I didn't even think about bicycles until it was too late.

This year I'm going to do some pre negotiating just in case there is something of interest.
Old 05-04-09, 06:43 AM
Jason1976

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought about putting a wanted add in the paper. and just telling them I enjoy fixing them up and then pass them off to people that need them. now I wouldn't pass them off for free.

you could also become friends with that guy and tell him if he finds bikes you may want to buy them off him.
Old 05-04-09, 07:11 AM
Fibber

Bikes: Fuji S-12s, Trek Navigator 200, Dahon Vitesse D7, Raleigh Sprite Touring ('70's)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last weekend was 'dump day' in my town. Officially, the policy is "No Picking", but as long as you don't get in the way, they usually don't care. The workers make their own piles of stuff they are keeping, and one man is also a 'bike guy', so he gets the best. Still, I snagged a Univega and a kids bike. They let me 'field strip' them, but wanted the basic frames thrown back onto the pile. I was OK with that and added to my collection of usable components.
Old 05-04-09, 07:45 AM
Jason1976

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
they were taking them in for scrap metal. if you saw a bike you wanted to keep I am sure they would of sold it to you.

in my area when its out for the trash its free for whoever wants it.
Old 05-04-09, 08:43 AM
divineAndbright

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive noticed a trend last year, very few bicycles were being brought to the dump, at least comparing from the year before. Everytime I went a few years back I can always expect to find something new. I don't think I brought a single bike home from the dump last year. I found out scrap metal was at its highest worth in years so maybe that had something to do with it. So far this year has been the same trend as theres nothing really there, although in fairness its still too early to tell, plus I don't go as frequently as its hard to find the time between working and riding, I try to make a visit at least once a week.
Old 05-04-09, 08:49 AM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason1976
... or a list of brands I wouldn't want like sears, huff, and so on.
Keep in mind, though, that some of those Sears bikes were made in Austria, and are not half-bad. It'd be hard to get someone else to fine-tune their picking, though. I just pulled a 1964 Columbia "500" from the big bin at our county landfill, and all it seems to need is a rear inner tube and maybe a chain. More on that find here:https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=537454

and I really like the OP's move to donate most of the rescued bikes, esp. to Africa. What a great way to extend their lifespan!
Old 05-07-09, 02:03 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Free Dump Week Days two, three and four...

Things start slowly during free Dump Week in Thunder Bay. I have to compete with lots of people for bikes but I have a bit of an edge. I have permission to pick bikes up at the Dump thanks in part to my involvement with Bicycles for Humanity.

Tuesday saw an Italian Juventus, a French Peugeot UO8 with bent forks find their way into The Old Shed.

Wednesday produced a very clean Raleigh Record Mixte, 2 Sekines and an eighties something CCM that is not all that bad looking. I also got a lead on a Miele that day with a Shimano 105 grouppo but the fellow wanted too much for the bicycle since it was a bit scruffy.

Today, Thursday saw an increase in bicycle flow as is normally the case. Word of mouth gets around town and the cars line up to get into and out of the Dump. Today's haul saw 42 bikes go to the Bicycles for Humanity cause and two, a nice clean Miyata and a not quite so nice Norco Avanti find shelter at my place.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday are traditionally high volume free Dump Days each Spring. Though I really like collecting bikes for B4H, it is always nice to find one decent old road bike (or two) as a reward for spending the whole week out at the Dump.

Sorry about no pictures just now. I am trying to catch up with my own work
Old 05-07-09, 02:06 PM
randyjawa 

Why fewer Dump bikes...

In my opinion, the number of bikes being disposed of is not diminishing all that much. I do, however, think that the demand for or scavenging of Dump bicycles has gone up. We find less because others beat us to them. Or something like that.
Old 05-07-09, 10:40 PM
mstrpete
Big Doofus

Bikes: Trek 830 MTB, Fuji S10-S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've noticed the number of free bikes available on trash day in my neighborhood has gone way down over the last year or so. I think that more people are fixing and riding them, so good for everybody.
Old 05-07-09, 11:37 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Last I was visiting the big city some guys almost got away with my 82 Razesa. It was trash day and I was waiting in the front yard for my wife so we could go on a ride. The bike was leaning against a tree on the other side of which a row of trash cans waited. I stepped behind a bush for a moment, really no more than it takes to do that stuff, and when I emerged a couple of smiling and laughing Hispanics were ready to dump my bike in the back of their pick-up. Soo close.
Old 05-08-09, 04:25 AM
Jason1976

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had an newer 20" boys bike that I was going to give away for free. (I picked it up from trash clean up days about a year or so earlyer and adjusted the cables and put air in the tires.) I put it out front by my front steps and by the time I went inside to print off a free sine, it was gone. It wasn't even out on the eadge of my sidewalk. I am like gee someone little theif took a free bike. I bet they will end up repainting it and everything not knowning it was going to be free.
Old 05-08-09, 07:34 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
So Randy, How do I get to Thunder Bay and where is the dump?
Old 05-11-09, 04:29 AM
randyjawa 

Free Dump Week Done...

Well, Free Dump Week Thunder Bay 2009 is now history. I spent most of the week at the landfill site and collected about 60 bicycles for Bicycles for Humanity. I also found a total of fifteen to twenty vintage road bicycles but kept the following; two Bianchis, one Jeuventus, one Raleigh Record Mixte, one Peugeot Sprint, one Peugeot Super Sport, One Peugeot Sport, one Vainqueur, one Velo Sport, one CCM Corsa, one CCM Grand Tourisimo, one CCM Corsa, one Supercycle with full Shimano Adamus AX grouppo, one CCM Elite, one BIM leather saddle, one AGDA leather saddle, two Hurett transmissions, one very cool Mustang style bike with springer forks, two motorcycle style bicycles, and I just can't remember the rest off hand.

Nothing really special showed up except the two Bianchi bicycles - one a 47cm Strada LX in excellent condition and the other I am not sure of the model but it is fitted with a full Shimano 600 Golden Arrow grouppo (my size too!!!).

Anyway, Free Dumping Week was a hoot and our group has finally decided to make it a group event. Thanks goodness, I am tired of talking to seagulls, ravens and bald eagles, all or which frequent the Dump on a daily basis. So too do the black bears and one always has to keep and eye, and a nose, out for those big rodents.
Attached Images
B4H_Dump_2009_1.jpg (101.2 KB, 32 views)
B4H_Dump_2009_6.jpg (104.1 KB, 38 views)
B4H_Dump_2009_13.jpg (101.2 KB, 28 views)
B4H_Dump_2009_CCM_Elite_1.jpg (100.6 KB, 30 views)
B4H_Dump_2009_Vainqueur_1.jpg (102.5 KB, 26 views)