Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you ride today?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you ride today?

Old 07-15-09, 01:10 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today I rode the same 30 mile loop I rode on Sunday but my legs were absolutely dead. I guess the colonoscopy prep and anesthesia took it out of me. I hope I can rebound by the weekend because I have a couple long climbing rides planned.
Old 07-15-09, 03:22 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
On Monday, did 8X5 recovery intervals at the cycling gym with my new wheels and power meter. At 115 -120 heart rate, averaged 100 watts for the session.

On Tuesday, we did our benchmark climb of 3.2 miles 7.2% grade. Total distance was 19 miles and average power was 142 watts.

Interesting data point was that at many times during the ride I was running 40 to 60 watts with a 115 heart rate and going fairly fast. Yet, on the trainer, I was in "recovery" at no less than 100 watts. However, there was a lot of time that I was above 250 watts on the climb. My coach always tells me that one hour on the trainer is equal to two hours on the road. Of course, not all road is created equal.
Old 07-16-09, 05:58 AM
Kragg
Pain ?? What Pain !!

Bikes: 2010 Felt F75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode our weekly with 3 of us over 55'ers. 37.4 miles, 15.8 avg. All in all a nice ride.
Old 07-16-09, 12:03 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
No.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-16-09, 02:34 PM
kenkayak

Bikes: Trek 7300/cannondale mountain bike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hello BikeWNC; If Iwould have had all that doctoring I probably would have rested for a month;I suspect you will recover your strenth after a few more rides.;//I rode well; The weather man tried scaring me with the threat of bad weather so MY FIRST RIDE a quick local [8mi.] ride, then to the wood lot;'/The clouds looked threatening but I felt like rideing so I struck for home (20mi] away. I never left the seat and was home before a rain drop fell./Kenneth
Old 07-16-09, 04:57 PM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep sure did, 27.62 and turned over 2020 on the total for the year. All good except for the dude who honked at me because he was in a hurry to turn in a parking lot!
I went back and asked him why the honk and rode away, I wanted to say a few more things but I kept my composure and did my best to "let it go" which I did. Funny thing now is I wish I had just rode away without going back and asking him anything. Oh well all is good.
It was steamy out too, must have been in the upper 90's and humidity had to be close to the same, ahhhhh Summer weather in the Wash DC area.
Old 07-16-09, 07:01 PM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did an aerobic Z2 ride for 1.5 hours tonight. Average HR was 133 BPM with a Max HR of 139 BPM. Twenty minutes into the ride I entered a cemetery and did 50 minutes of "graveyard crit riding" then rode back home at the same effort. Average speed for the ride 29.5 mile ride was 19.8 mph.
Old 07-16-09, 07:05 PM
BikeArkansas

Bikes: 2012 Scorpion FX trike, 2016 Catrike 700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode 28 miles this morning with some friends. Just a fun ride. I am writing about this ride because I rode well, for me. Very seldom do I say I rode well. I did this morning. I climbed well, I held speed on the flats well. Just an unusual day. Friends may be wanting to drug test me if this keeps up.
Old 07-16-09, 07:35 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Did an aerobic Z2 ride for 1.5 hours tonight. Average HR was 133 BPM with a Max HR of 139 BPM. Twenty minutes into the ride I entered a cemetery and did 50 minutes of "graveyard crit riding" then rode back home at the same effort. Average speed for the ride 29.5 mile ride was 19.8 mph.
How did you do in the stage race?
Old 07-16-09, 08:33 PM
bcoppola
King of the molehills

Bikes: '04 Giant OCR2, DIY light tourer built on on Scattante cross frame, '87 Schwinn World Sport F/G conversion, '85 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
15.x miles at 15.xmph average on the MUP; first ride of any distance since my recent kidney stone episode. I did an easy 5 mile lunch/neighborhood ride yesterday.

Alas, the stone is still there - previous procedure on Monday was simply to put in a stent to prevent blockage. Removal is this coming Monday. They're going to laser it into pieces & extract the bits. So I'll be off the bike again 2 or 3 days next week.
Old 07-16-09, 09:34 PM
dendawg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
An easy flat 24 miles. I need to get used to summer, it finally arrived in the north east.
Old 07-16-09, 09:49 PM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No ride today. I took my daughter to buy a fishing rod so she can try to catch a trout in the morning.
Old 07-16-09, 10:47 PM
Red Rider
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sunday and Monday were rest days.

Tuesday: Moderate paced club ride (avg. 18.6 mph over 30 miles) with 8 people; good pacelining for the most part. I took a couple of sprints from the back when the guy in the Sequoia was a bit sketchy; held on and enjoyed the pulls.

Wed: Solo ride with some intervals and 5 miles of time-trialing. 26 miles in, 8 miles from home, I had a flat and discovered that I didn't have 2 cannisters of CO2, I had 1/2. Called cgallagh for a SAG home.

Thurs.: My bike had two flat this afternoon and I didn't have time to change them both. I changed the seatpost and saddle on the Simonetti and cruised on the steel bike. The group ride was excessively fast and I got dropped; also experienced operator error with the Campy shifters. Worked with the group on the midsection of the ride; when the fast people split off there were 3 strong men and me. We were in the open again so we pacelined and I had some good pulls. My legs know all about that now.
Old 07-16-09, 10:59 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Off yesterday. Tonight, my wife and I did a 30 mile hammerfest. It was a beautiful night low 70s and sunny.
Old 07-17-09, 03:22 AM
kr32

Bikes: Cannondale Six Carbon 5 and Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dendawg
I need to get used to summer, it finally arrived in the north east.
+1 might have been the hottest day so far what with the heat index and all.
Old 07-17-09, 05:22 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
How did you do in the stage race?
Simply put: Terrible

I did OK in the 5.6 mile TT with a time of 12:20 but didn't recover at all for the crit held 4 hours later. It was the first TT that I've done so I've got nothing to compare it to. I know it's "the race of truth" and I can say that I truthfully gave it my all the whole way through. I put "clip-on bars" on my bike and wore my son's TT helmet for the TT. I did not have any power or endurance in the crit and got dropped about 2/3rds into the short race. During the RR on Saturday I was with the lead group until the top of the 2nd, and last, big hill then blew up and couldn't even hold the wheel's of riders who got dropped earlier. Ended up that I had a chest cold which surfaced on Sat. evening. That explained the loss of endurance and power and the stiff back and leg muscles I had the previous couple days. I scratched Sunday's race as a precaution. On Monday's 45 minute easy spin I felt like calling home for some sag support. A day of no riding on Tue, 1/2 of Wednesday's intervals then last night and I'm good to go again.
Old 07-17-09, 08:15 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I usually ride as soon as I get home, but I decided yesterday to eat dinner early, then ride later when the heat would be starting to ease off. I just did an easy paced 25.7 miles, so I'll be rested for Saturday evening's 200k night brevet.

As I rode, I watched the clouds coming in from the north that are supposed to end our heat wave (predicted high for today is just 92 degrees; I may need my jacket). The clouds never quite caught up with the sun and it was still pretty hot. But we did get a light shower during the night (rain, what a concept).
Old 07-17-09, 09:07 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Simply put: Terrible

I did OK in the 5.6 mile TT with a time of 12:20 but didn't recover at all for the crit held 4 hours later. It was the first TT that I've done so I've got nothing to compare it to. I know it's "the race of truth" and I can say that I truthfully gave it my all the whole way through. I put "clip-on bars" on my bike and wore my son's TT helmet for the TT. I did not have any power or endurance in the crit and got dropped about 2/3rds into the short race. During the RR on Saturday I was with the lead group until the top of the 2nd, and last, big hill then blew up and couldn't even hold the wheel's of riders who got dropped earlier. Ended up that I had a chest cold which surfaced on Sat. evening. That explained the loss of endurance and power and the stiff back and leg muscles I had the previous couple days. I scratched Sunday's race as a precaution. On Monday's 45 minute easy spin I felt like calling home for some sag support. A day of no riding on Tue, 1/2 of Wednesday's intervals then last night and I'm good to go again.
I am glad you are okay. I had a chest cold which almost took me out of the track championships. It lasted for a month.

I appears that you did very well in your TT. Riding in the time trial position is very technical and needs a lot of practice and experimentation. For example, as you lower your profile, you decrease your aero drag. The trade off is the potential for loss of power due to hamstring inflexibility or breathing limitations. The hip angle is critical. So one needs a lot of practice / training and experimentation in the TT position to be able to breath, get full power and reduce drag.
Old 07-17-09, 09:21 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
I am glad you are okay. I had a chest cold which almost took me out of the track championships. It lasted for a month.

I appears that you did very well in your TT. Riding in the time trial position is very technical and needs a lot of practice and experimentation. For example, as you lower your profile, you decrease your aero drag. The trade off is the potential for loss of power due to hamstring inflexibility or breathing limitations. The hip angle is critical. So one needs a lot of practice / training and experimentation in the TT position to be able to breath, get full power and reduce drag.
I didn't know what kind of average speed I would have in the TT and was happy that it was in the 27's when I checked about 20 seconds after completing the TT effort. You are corrrect in the need to practice riding in TT position, breathing while in the tuck position was difficult, I felt very constrained. I think some of my loss of power for the crit and RR was due to overuse some muscles in the TT, then not having the power from the muscle group when needed resulting in having to rely on lesser muscle groups to do more work. Near the top of the 2nd hill in the RR my HR still was not at Z5 yet I was loosing strength and speed to the pack. I was within 50 yds of the leaders at the top of the hill yet couldn't muster any strength to chase down the hill. From that point my race and attitude bascially went "down hill".
Old 07-17-09, 09:22 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
YA kr32 I get that same[wish Id been dignified ]and not gave that rat fink the finger that just brushed me when thay had room to avoid it./Kenneth
Old 07-17-09, 09:31 AM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Good to ya RedRider //seems your rideing a lot and in fast company take care and dont forget to rest.Kenneth
Old 07-17-09, 09:47 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

I didn't know what kind of average speed I would have in the TT and was happy that it was in the 27's when I checked about 20 seconds after completing the TT effort. You are corrrect in the need to practice riding in TT position, breathing while in the tuck position was difficult, I felt very constrained. I think some of my loss of power for the crit and RR was due to overuse some muscles in the TT, then not having the power from the muscle group when needed resulting in having to rely on lesser muscle groups to do more work. Near the top of the 2nd hill in the RR my HR still was not at Z5 yet I was loosing strength and speed to the pack. I was within 50 yds of the leaders at the top of the hill yet couldn't muster any strength to chase down the hill. From that point my race and attitude bascially went "down hill".
Another point on a short TT. To generate 27 mph, it takes a lot of power. You were most likely anaerobic the entire time. That makes for difficult recovery to then ride a crit four hours later. Especially if you were not used to that effort in that position. Crit riders are used to accelerations and periods of Z5 followed by easier efforts. You can be in the drops or on the hoods. If the TT had been longer, you would have used more Z4 power and more than likely recovered better for the crit.

The promoters did not do you any favors putting the TT first. If the crit would have been first, everyones goal would be to finish in the pack and then kill it in the TT which was the way that the Madera Stage race was organized in which I participated earlier this year.
Old 07-17-09, 01:29 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Our club has, if lettered, riding groups A thru I. This morning a combination of B and C's and another combination of A and B's left for the same destination via different routes. I rode with the AB group, as we planned on a shot up a 1/2 mile hill that averages 9%, but has a couple of 12 and 15% bumps. I kept up fine. After our rest at the deli, where we met the BC group, we re-organized. Our group changed and grew from 7 to 9. We drafted almost all the way home (18 miles). It was fun. The ride was about 40 miles. Here's a picture of the hill. I think you can get an idea of the steepness.

'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-17-09, 01:54 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
hi Becoppola good luck with that kidney stone //A friend who had that done said it went very well./Kenneth
Old 07-17-09, 01:58 PM
kenkayak

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
HELLO Slim/ that guy behind ya is wondering where he can get one of those motors ya got on your left knee/Kenneth

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.