Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

When it's 108 F

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

When it's 108 F

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 06:03 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
When it's 108 F

....you just don't feel like riding.

Yesterday morning I did a short 15 mile loop about 6 AM. The temp was already 85 degrees. I'm not sure but I think we had the nation's high here in CenTX yesterday, or if not we were tied with a town in the Texas panhandle.

Last week I was in Creede, CO catching cutthroats and brown trout with a high for the week of 74 F.

What a difference a week makes. I must be gettinng old.
Old 07-10-09, 07:44 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
85 degrees at 6am would make anyone feel old. Hang in there.

How is the humidity in your part of Texas?
Old 07-10-09, 08:30 AM
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's been an up and down summer here too. A couple weeks ago I did a 110 mile ride in 100º temps and this week I've been riding in the upper 50s. The last few days it's struggled to get to 70º each day. It's supposed to be in the low 80s for my metric tomorrow.
Old 07-10-09, 08:31 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
It's pretty high right here. Elevation is only about 1100'. Sometimes it can be low, but it usually run to 60% and higher.

I just checked aviation forecast and this is supposed to hang around for 10 days or so of high pressure.
Old 07-10-09, 10:14 AM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
100Plus is pretty common in summer for us. Low humidity thankfully. We tend to ride early in the am. Even so, super hot days dictate keeping things 'moderate' which still drives up the HRM. After a few miles, my Heed bottles take on the quality of tepid piss...perhaps the worst part and makes me daydream in the heat of SnoCones.
Old 07-10-09, 10:52 AM
Bud Bent
Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 104 degrees at the start of my ride yesterday, with enough humidity to make the heat index over 110. It's supposed to be over 100 degrees again tomorrow while I do a 200k. We'll likely make a couple of extra stops on that ride.
Old 07-10-09, 11:00 AM
pop's
FRUGAL GERMAN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in New Braunfels, and the heat index has been bad. I usually try and ride before noon, I like to watch the tour de france kick off and then I go riding. It is usually around 85-90 with a heat index of 100-104. I come home wet from sweat (head to toe). Being 68 I try to ride 15 miles a day. I cut short on two days and it made no difference. It is just dad burned hot.

Pop's
Old 07-10-09, 11:06 AM
overthehillmedi

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When it's that warm I notice my igloo sure melts fast! I b**** and complain when the temp here reaches the high twenties celcius I can't imagine the fourties.
Old 07-10-09, 11:26 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have to admit I am a wuss. When it gets up above 85 I don't ride. Heat just drains all the energy out of me. So I do something else. I'll do a hike either early or late afternoon or evening instead. No sense risking heat exhaustion or stroke...

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 07-10-09, 11:47 AM
az_cyclist

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Trek 1500

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heat doesnt really bother me, but, I take it easier when the temps are above 90-95. The past couple of weeks the temp was 100+ when I finished a couple of rides. As for easy, I ave 16-17 mph for a 30-45 mile solo ride.
Old 07-10-09, 12:03 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Fellow
After a few miles, my Heed bottles take on the quality of tepid piss...
Is there any other kind?

The heat starts to bother me after about 95 degrees. As long as I can get enough water I'm usually O.K.
This summer has been pretty nice, so far. 2 years ago it was 114 on the July 4th ride.
I hate the summer at night when it's too hot to sleep, and I hate the summer at work when I feel like I'm going to barf.
Old 07-10-09, 12:42 PM
Velo Fellow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right big john. Thanks. Make that "the tepid quality of piss".

I doubt anyone would notice or care in any other dept. of Bike Forums. Which is why I check in here most often. Nothing tepid OR pissy about us.
Old 07-10-09, 04:00 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
We don't have the "High" temps very often over here- but for those of you that complain about temps of 100 degree+-- How do you get on in temps of around freezing?

Many years ago I worked in France and in the height of summer the temp was way up there. We could work in it- well you had to- and you could do physical stuff in it. Difference was the low humidity.

I find that if it is hot- I can still cycle as the wicking top will evaporate any sweat and this helps to keep me cool- until I stop. Then the body temp goes high and I start leaking. This is "Possibly" the only time that a cotton vest may work- but I doubt it.

And the reason for mentioning freezing temperatures- Ride temperature is what you get used to. This year I have done rides with only my wicking base layer and a short sleeve top. That was not the case last year where I had to wear a long sleeve right through the year.

You get used to a temperature through acclimatisation. Doesn't matter if that is 35deg or 100. Providing it is consistent. But throw in a cold spell to either of us right now and a ride might have to be thought about.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-10-09, 04:53 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
We don't have the "High" temps very often over here- but for those of you that complain about temps of 100 degree+-- How do you get on in temps of around freezing?
I prefer riding in cooler temps as long as I am dressed for it. Freezing is fine as long as there is no ice on the road. When I lived in the mountains I rode the mtb in the snow all the time. Some great memories of snow flying around while bouncing along the trails.

My parents brought me to this place with the hot summers and I just can't seem to stay away. Wish I had moved some place cooler years ago.
Old 07-10-09, 09:43 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
for those of you that complain about temps of 100 degree+-- How do you get on in temps of around freezing?
I prefer moderate temperatures, but I would rather ride in over 100 than under 30. In fact, I'm pretty wimpy with anything under 40. I won't usually cancel a ride because of it being too hot, but I do try to plan them early in the day when it is going to be hot. It should be a pleasant 72 when I ride in to work tomorrow, but about 94 when I head home in the afternoon. I'll take it easy, drink a lot, sweat a lot and take a shower as soon as I get home.
Old 07-10-09, 11:32 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Many years ago I worked in France and in the height of summer the temp was way up there. We could work in it- well you had to- and you could do physical stuff in it. Difference was the low humidity.

I find that if it is hot- I can still cycle as the wicking top will evaporate any sweat and this helps to keep me cool- until I stop. Then the body temp goes high and I start leaking. This is "Possibly" the only time that a cotton vest may work- but I doubt it.

And the reason for mentioning freezing temperatures- Ride temperature is what you get used to. This year I have done rides with only my wicking base layer and a short sleeve top. That was not the case last year where I had to wear a long sleeve right through the year.

You get used to a temperature through acclimatisation. Doesn't matter if that is 35deg or 100. Providing it is consistent. But throw in a cold spell to either of us right now and a ride might have to be thought about.

Anything under 40 degrees is for storing beer not for riding.
Old 07-11-09, 01:39 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
You should come to Boston. It's July 11th as I type this, and we have not had any real hot weather yet.
June was cloudy, rainy and cool for all but three days. On my evening rides, I'm wearing a cycling undershirt, and I have my arm warmers in my jersey pocket. I have had to stop and put them on a few times. It does not seem that any "real" summer weather, with high temps and humidity, are on tap this year.

A lot of people are loving it, but I like my evening rides in the nice heat.
Old 07-11-09, 03:16 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by trackhub
You should come to Boston. It's July 11th as I type this, and we have not had any real hot weather yet.
June was cloudy, rainy and cool for all but three days. On my evening rides, I'm wearing a cycling undershirt, and I have my arm warmers in my jersey pocket. I have had to stop and put them on a few times.

I have a variety of top coats- one of which is a pertex. It does absolutely nothing for warmth but it does keep the wind out. That is about all as run through a puddle and you will get wet. It does breath though and as such is very useful on my rides.

If it is slightly cool at the start of a ride- I wear the pertex. Just keeping the wind out will allow body temp to rise to comfortable. If I do warm up- then it can come off and being pertex- can fold up very small to fit in a pocket.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-11-09, 04:08 PM
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This is why I love upstate NY - it barely gets over 90 and over 100 is rare - maybe just a few days a summer. I have only had my sleeveless jerseys out once this summer.