Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone work for Jimmy Johns bicycle delivery?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 07:28 PM
ekr

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone has any experiences they'd like to share. I'm thinking about applying at a Jimmy Johns in Gainesville near the university. How dangerous would you say it is, in terms of accidents and whatnot? Do you think it's more dangerous for girls? Would a Trek FX be a good bike for the job? How many miles would you ride per shift?
Old 06-26-12, 06:44 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Definitely more traumatically dangerous than working at Taco Bell. How, where, and when you ride determines the hazard and risk levels. As a delivery person, you can control how you ride, but not where and when you ride. You need to take a look at where and when you'd be riding and make the assessment for yourself.
Old 09-16-12, 11:44 PM
StabbyJoe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I work at JJ in University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We cover 4 square miles of college campus and surroundings. I've been doing it for 3 weeks, 25hrs/wk, 5 days/wk. It's a small area, I match up with drivers most days. There have been a good amount of days when I beat some drivers including game days. I average about $16-18/hr (~$5 hrly + tips), some days I hit $25-30, some slow days (not that frequent) $12-13. I'm scheduled for 5 hrs a day, but on slow days I get asked to leave maybe an hour or so early, no big deal since I wouldn't be making runs anyway. I don't have to make sandwiches, but I might have to take phone calls or help sweep or something if it's really slow. Manager's enthusiastic and supportive (got a tear in my sidewall today, and since the day was dying out he was ok with me going home 1.5hrs early instead of running the risk of blowing the tube I had just installed). He said he's ordering a bike jersey for the shop so i can use it. I ride a bikes direct windsor the hour track bike with almost no original parts but the frame, have a rack with plastic crate for the sandwiches. No accidents, but I'm pretty comfortable with riding in traffic (I'm from chicago). Expect fatique at the end of the day, but you really determine your own pace (there's a mountain bike delivery guy who prolly delivers at half my pace but it's all good). On rainy days I just accept the fact that I'll get soaked for a few hours and try to enjoy riding (plus it doesn't hurt that those days are usually 20-25/hr). I'm sure trek fx would be great, expect curb jumping so go for 28c+, or good quality 25c+ (i do 23-28f/28r).

~~I realize this is like 3 months late and unnecessarily detailed, but I remember about a month ago I was googling the crap out of forums looking for something like this. So even if this is outdated for your use, people might stumble on it and find it useful

Last edited by StabbyJoe89; 09-17-12 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-17-12, 12:10 AM
jrhii
Señor Member

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Franken Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Man, that sounds like a decent gig for a fit person. Too bad that there I'm in stl, and if there were jimmy johns bike delivery positions, I wouldn't risk it. All our locations are in or near the City. A few months ago a pizza driver got shot point blank for a few pizzas
Old 09-17-12, 02:13 PM
StabbyJoe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow that sounds really intense. I would definitely not be up for this job in a bad area (around campus, i dont even feel the need to lock my bike if im just running up a floor or 2, if it's further i just padlock the crank and chain). But yeah bike delivery in a campus area is a really sweet gig. Plus if you have decent management your level of fitness only determines your hourly cap, I can't see someone making less than like $9 (2 deliveries/hr). I'm definitely gonna miss having bike related work when I graduate, it makes it so easy to justify buying parts =p
Old 09-19-12, 08:09 PM
ekr

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I ended up getting the Jimmy John's bike delivery job, and it's awesome. I've been working there for about 4 weeks now. I'll write about my experiences here too because before I got the job I couldn't find any information about what it was like.
I got hired at the store right across the street from University of Florida. So there's lots of shifts that have a constant flow of subs needing to be delivered. I have to work every Saturday, because they're game days, but unfortunately I've only been given In Shop shifts instead of delivery shifts. The guys who bike on those days make around $200-$300 in tips if they work all day. I'd say when I deliver, on a decent night I'll make around $10 an hour in tips, plus minimum wage. I ride a mountain/road bike hybrid which works just fine for the job, although I want to trade it in and get a road bike. People here have mountain bikes, road bikes, and some of em ride fixed too. And you choose how fast/crazy you want to ride, too. I try not to be aggressive and piss people off or do anything too risky. For the most part I'll ride with traffic. Also it's great to be a girl with this job. I thought it would be creepy delivering to drunk frat boys and biking through the shadier parts of Gainesville but it's actually not bad at all. And I think since I'm a girl I get fewer ******** who "forget" to leave a tip, heh.
The best part of this job, though, is getting to feel like the omnipotent creator/destroyer of the universe. You get to watch all the people going through all their activities by themselves, when they think no one's watching. You see all the people leaving the clubs and bars, and which guys got to go home with a girl and which ones didn't. And which ones are going through the negotiating process. You see cops on facebook in their cars, drunk people throwing cups of powerade at other drunk people, and some pretty cool sunsets.
Old 03-26-14, 11:36 PM
highlymindful

Bikes: Trek Lexa (purple)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! I'm also in Gainesville and watching the JJ bikers zoom around all day while I have to bike to class sparks envy in my soul, and so I thought about applying! How was the interview process? Are they hiring? Would a Trek Lexa be any good? Advice? Being a girl, I was nervous to walk in there and inquire since I only ever see guys riding, but then I found this thread! Thanks a lot!
Old 03-27-14, 09:42 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by highlymindful
Hey! I'm also in Gainesville and watching the JJ bikers zoom around all day while I have to bike to class sparks envy in my soul, and so I thought about applying! How was the interview process? Are they hiring? Would a Trek Lexa be any good? Advice? Being a girl, I was nervous to walk in there and inquire since I only ever see guys riding, but then I found this thread! Thanks a lot!
Please note that you are replying to a thread from 2012.

***Sigh***

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-28-14, 06:37 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Back when I was attending Ohio State back in the '70s, we obviously didn't have Jimmy Johns, but we had a sub shop called Hymie's that had delivery. Much of OSU's campus was car-free, and there was no student parking at the dorms, so bicycle delivery was very popular.

When I was delivering mail in downtown Cleveland a couple of years ago, the JJ's location in the heart of the business district didn't use bicycle delivery - probably because the companies in the office buildings in the area would order too many subs to carry on a bike - I mean anywhere from 20-100 sandwiches and drinks. The delivery people used stainless steel push carts that they could take in the high rise elevators.
Old 06-01-17, 11:11 PM
OtterKing

Bikes: Cheap mongoose crossbike with some upgrades.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay resurrection time again I have been working at the JJ's near Marshall University. I started as a car driver but ended up as bike delivery. I have been working there for little over a month and the pay is okay for a college kid, and the town... its like a smaller Detroit but with more overdoses. I exclusively work nights so you kinda need to carry a weapon (I carry just a regular pocket knife). other than that. it is actually the most fun I have had in years. Bike delivery is honestly one of the best ways to get in shape. I started at a whopping 250lbs. I have lost 10lbs and still losing, not to mention i'm pretty sure I could lift a truck with the leg power I've gained.

So when I started I had this ****ty bike that I had bought off one of the managers there. its actually a Quest mtb with no suspension. I fixed it up as much as I could but it's still a pos. After a week of torture I got fed up and bought a 99$ mongoose Hotshot. I know it isn't even a really good bike, but for 99$ it is the best I can get. I plan to upgrade some parts like the shifter and derailer, casset and the wheels. I am interested in any crossbikes for sale btw.

Riding at night is kind of like being a ghost in an empty house, no one can see you if you don't want to, but even if you do, its best to keep to yourself and make the deliveries as fast as possible so is not to be a target for petty bike thiefs. deffinently have both front and tail lights for when the police are around. most cops (at least in my town) are pretty chill with wherever you ride, just as long as you don't put anyone in danger. Here are a list of tips I have for any freshies in the bike delivery game:

1.ALWAYS LOOK BOTH WAYS! don't get hit because your dumbass thought it was clear.
2.Make sure you keep front and back lights charged.
3.ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET! we don't want you to become a vegetable while delivering a veggie sub!
4.Avoid pedestrians as much as possible. you are going much faster than them. and a lawsuit is much worse than a slight detour left or right.
5.AVOID CARS TOO! do not get hit because of your poor judgment. pay attention to them because they probably don't see you.
6.Invest in your bike; love. it is the reason you have a job, so take good care of it. lock it up, clean it. you know, the usual.
7.leave a note in your seatpost showing you own it. If it is stolen, you can easily prove that you own it by showing the authorities if they find it.
8.Any bike can deliver but try to get a Cross or hybrid bike for in town. they are the most versatile and can be a ridden for fun too.
9.Don't worry about having a racer's body. it will come with time.
10.Try to keep the amount of fountain drinks you carry down to one, because carrying a box or strapping one to your rack limits your speed. and that sucks.

Well there it was, my effort into try to give new bike delivery people some insight. If you made it this far thank you, I hope you are at least more informed.

Last edited by OtterKing; 06-01-17 at 11:17 PM. Reason: misspell and clarification
Old 05-14-19, 02:18 PM
OraOra

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to revive a new thread, but im attempting to get the same sort of job at the jimmys off 16th in Gainesville. I got some questions. IS there a uniform bike kit we have to wear, are we allowed to use music devices on delivery runs, and i have an 80's peugot road bike. WIll that be serviceable for this job?
Old 05-14-19, 03:19 PM
BKE

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
My advise is to "PM" EKR, After 7 years she should have an answer for all your questions, in addition to ones you haven't thought to ask.
Old 05-14-19, 04:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
https://ecoxplorer.com/2013/09/reaso...d-jimmy-johns/

I would not work for or support them in any way. You may differ.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 05-14-19, 06:17 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
A lot of good people work at JJ’s

they had nothing to do with the trophy hunting mess
Old 05-14-19, 07:30 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by OraOra
......are we allowed to use music devices on delivery runs......?
Earbuds (I presume, but still....) for a bike delivery person in an urban area? That's a great idea......
Old 05-15-19, 02:35 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
A lot of good people work at JJ’s

they had nothing to do with the trophy hunting mess
No doubt that's true. I posted that for informational purposes in the event the OP wants his occupation to be consistent with his values. Whatever those might be.
Old 05-15-19, 05:27 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Come on, folks. Seriously? Can I interest you in a slightly used bridge in Brooklyn? *smh*