Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Any thoughts on the Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0?

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-21, 01:01 PM
abridges01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am looking to replace my ageing Surface 604 Colt with a Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 and would appreciate any feedback - positive or negative - on this bike. I am aware that it is not a 'sit back and cruise' type e-bike and I am quite OK with that as I need the exercise!
Thanks in advance.
Old 01-11-21, 04:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4333 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
It is a great bike. My one biggest qualm with it is the fork/headset situation. Either go with a future shock or a carbon fork but aluminum fork and no future shock doesn't gel with me. The SL 5.0 has both but the 4.0 has neither but is ready for a future shock. Beyond that it is a decent drivetrain and a so far so good mid-drive motor and has decent assist and is nice and light. If I could swing I would go 5.0 for the comfort and the 12 speed XT is actually quite nice and having the TCD as standard is nice as well however the 4.0 is not a bad option in the least.

I say test ride one but go for it. The Vado SL is on my short list of E-bikes I really want and probably will be my next bike purchase this year assuming all the funds work out.
Old 01-11-21, 04:25 PM
abridges01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
It is a great bike. My one biggest qualm with it is the fork/headset situation. Either go with a future shock or a carbon fork but aluminum fork and no future shock doesn't gel with me. The SL 5.0 has both but the 4.0 has neither but is ready for a future shock. Beyond that it is a decent drivetrain and a so far so good mid-drive motor and has decent assist and is nice and light. If I could swing I would go 5.0 for the comfort and the 12 speed XT is actually quite nice and having the TCD as standard is nice as well however the 4.0 is not a bad option in the least.

I say test ride one but go for it. The Vado SL is on my short list of E-bikes I really want and probably will be my next bike purchase this year assuming all the funds work out.
Thank you Mr. Griswold, your thoughts are much appreciated.
Likes For abridges01:
Old 01-11-21, 04:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by abridges01
Thank you Mr. Griswold, your thoughts are much appreciated.
No worries, having ridden a lot of e-bikes that is a favorite of mine because it is a bit more like my regular bikes and I have no intention on giving those up.
Old 01-11-21, 06:36 PM
abridges01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
No worries, having ridden a lot of e-bikes that is a favorite of mine because it is a bit more like my regular bikes and I have no intention on giving those up.
I did get to test the Turbo Vado 4 SL EQ, and am definitely leaning that way, but have not had the chance to ride the larger Vado 4. Given my liking for a little off roading (loose dirt), I am tempted to try the bigger bike to see if the suspension and larger motor make it a better choice.
Old 01-11-21, 09:02 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I did get to test the Turbo Vado 4 SL EQ, and am definitely leaning that way, but have not had the chance to ride the larger Vado 4. Given my liking for a little off roading (loose dirt), I am tempted to try the bigger bike to see if the suspension and larger motor make it a better choice.
If I weren't going for a Vado SL I would look at the Como instead. I and many others are not as big fans of the regular Vado. It is a bit too heavy and the suspension isn't worth the weight. If I wanted a suspended bike it would be more like the R+M Charger or Supercharger or Nevo or something like that. The Vado SL 5.0 has the right amount of suspension for what it is and if you went with a 650b wheelset you could run plenty wide tires for the bike if the 700c tires are too thin.
Old 01-12-21, 04:47 PM
abridges01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If I weren't going for a Vado SL I would look at the Como instead. I and many others are not as big fans of the regular Vado. It is a bit too heavy and the suspension isn't worth the weight. If I wanted a suspended bike it would be more like the R+M Charger or Supercharger or Nevo or something like that. The Vado SL 5.0 has the right amount of suspension for what it is and if you went with a 650b wheelset you could run plenty wide tires for the bike if the 700c tires are too thin.
Great, thank you VeganBikes, I very much appreciate your thoughts.
Likes For abridges01:
Old 01-17-21, 07:30 PM
abridges01

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Got it, LOVE it!

Nuff said.
Likes For abridges01:
Old 01-20-21, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Nuff said.
Awesome!!!! Ride it and enjoy it. Also make sure you are using the Mission Control App and do all the normal bike maintenance. You are going to have a great time out there. I think I might pounce on mine soon assuming I can get bossman on board.
Old 01-21-21, 12:38 PM
BEC111

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado SL

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I love mine, though I agree with veganbikes that the 5 with front suspension would have been better. I couldn’t justify the extra bucks as I was $1000 over budget with the 4. Chose it for weight and range. Rides like my Cannondale Adventure 1, but easier on my old bones.
Old 01-22-21, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by BEC111
I love mine, though I agree with veganbikes that the 5 with front suspension would have been better. I couldn’t justify the extra bucks as I was $1000 over budget with the 4. Chose it for weight and range. Rides like my Cannondale Adventure 1, but easier on my old bones.
It is odd they couldn't do one of the two? It is ready for Future Shock and at most it would have added $100 to the price realistically and would have made it awesome or add $200 for the carbon fork. Why have a second part when you could just do one carbon fork for both and bing bam boom you don't need to produce that second fork in potentially a different factory. A penny saved is a penny earned.

Honestly if they had done the 4 with a carbon fork I would go for that and it would be way better on my end. I could do what I wanted with the drivetrain and swap the brakes which I would do on the 5 anyway (because I am a chronic tinkerer and I can get flat mount XTR brakes now) and I would be changing bars, stem and seatpost as well so it could save me some coin.