Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gitane info

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 09:30 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Bikes: One new one, a couple old ones, and a mountain bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Did you leave the original decals on or get them printed? If not, are you able to touch those up? Asking for the sake of my Gitane I'm working on.
Not sure if you’re asking me, but on the bike in question, the decals are original. Unfortunately the one on the seat tube flaked some as I was trying my best to be gently in removing grease and surface rust. I haven’t bothered to touch any up because I would likely make them look worse.

As to pricing, do you think a fair ballpark is $750? This number is simply me doing my best eBay estimate on Campy parts of that vintage and around $300 for the frame. Almost no value added for the tubular rims.
What do you guys think. Should I start there, ask more, or ask less? I know “parted out” it would be more, but I’m not doing that.
Old 01-11-21, 04:49 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Maybe this is a 60s era Champion du Monde? If you look at the '62 catalog, this came with Mafac tigers (yeah I know parts are not a great way to ID a bike)

https://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1962/Page_4.jpg

From earlier, I'm fairly confident my previous assessment was correct. (or not, see follow-up replies below)

Originally Posted by francophile
Looks like an mid-60s Hosteller. Catalog page from '64 if you want to visual on it. https://www.gitaneusa.com/images/cata...64/Page_02.jpg

Last edited by francophile; 01-13-21 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-11-21, 04:58 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
From earlier, I'm fairly confident my previous assessment was correct.
Well if you're right and this is a hosteller (3 main tubes Reynolds), then the OP's price of $750 is likely optimistic.

But how do you explain the Reynolds fork which is what this looks to be? I can't see enough of the Reynolds sticker to know whether this is 3 tubes Reynolds or full Reynolds. But if it's a hosteller, then someone switched out all the parts. Fair enough but what happened to the braze ons for the front rack? Doesn't the hosteller have one? Isn't there a lamp braze on as well?
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-11-21, 05:02 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins
Not sure if you’re asking me, but on the bike in question, the decals are original. Unfortunately the one on the seat tube flaked some as I was trying my best to be gently in removing grease and surface rust. I haven’t bothered to touch any up because I would likely make them look worse.

As to pricing, do you think a fair ballpark is $750? This number is simply me doing my best eBay estimate on Campy parts of that vintage and around $300 for the frame. Almost no value added for the tubular rims.
What do you guys think. Should I start there, ask more, or ask less? I know “parted out” it would be more, but I’m not doing that.
That might be optimistic. You could maybe get this on eBay but that would be a tough price locally or here on BF. A Gitane Gran Turisme just went for $200 on C&V for sale. That is a full Reynolds frame with campy drop outs. That bike included seatpost, HS, and FD (all campy) plus a nice suntour RD.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ome-parts.html

I've picked up a number of full campy (or mainly campy) bikes with full Reynolds frames in the $400-$600 price range. You can pay more obviously but usually, at least in my experience, that is for a frame in fairly to very good condition. It's been my experience that French bikes tend to cost less than equivalent quality Italian or British or even top notch US bikes.

I hate to say it but this bike is worth a fair bit more as a part out. Also if this is a full Reynolds frame from the 60s (as per post 21 above), I would think that should help push the value up some as well to the right buyer. Your estimate might work on eBay (if this is a full Reynolds frame) but pedals would be helpful at that price.

Here is a Motobecane LeChampion with a lot of campy bits with a BIN of $625:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motobecane-...IAAOSwdLpf6SQv

Last edited by bikemig; 01-11-21 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-11-21, 05:47 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Point taken. I figured it was on the optimistic side. What do you guys think about $600, leaving room for a little bartering. (Goal of $550)
I’d rather not do eBay, because by the time you factor in all the fees, I might as well have just given someone local or on BF a better deal.
Old 01-11-21, 08:08 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Well if you're right and this is a hosteller (3 main tubes Reynolds), then the OP's price of $750 is likely optimistic.
I agree on price, $400 is an optimistic price ceiling IMHO.

As for the Hosteller fork, I had it stuck in my head they were there. If not, and the fork ends and dropouts are Campy as it appears, then Professional it is. But it's not a Superbe, else it would have 531 ""Fourreaux de fourche et arrieres" decal. Pretty sure mid-60 is the year, crank swapped probably during the fgss conversion. Stronglight headset, Tiger brakes etc. Fits perfect. Gitane USA - Catalogues ==> Look at 1964.

I can't see enough of the Reynolds sticker to know whether this is 3 tubes Reynolds or full Reynolds. But if it's a hosteller, then someone switched out all the parts.
It's a 3 tubes sticker. With the fork. Again, match for Professional. Might've quoted wrong post.

Close-up for reference, OP bike on left, full 531 sticker on right.

Old 01-11-21, 09:11 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
I agree on price, $400 is an optimistic price ceiling IMHO.

As for the Hosteller fork, I had it stuck in my head they were there. If not, and the fork ends and dropouts are Campy as it appears, then Professional it is. But it's not a Superbe, else it would have 531 ""Fourreaux de fourche et arrieres" decal. Pretty sure mid-60 is the year, crank swapped probably during the fgss conversion. Stronglight headset, Tiger brakes etc. Fits perfect. Gitane USA - Catalogues ==> Look at 1964.

It's a 3 tubes sticker. With the fork. Again, match for Professional. Might've quoted wrong post.

Close-up for reference, OP bike on left, full 531 sticker on right.

Again, take the GitaneUSA catalog dates with a grain of salt. Mafac Top 63s which became available in late 62 as a 63 model replaced the Tigers. Seems odd that Gitane's top Pro bike in 64 would carry obsolete brakes.
Old 01-12-21, 07:15 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Originally Posted by Markeologist
Again, take the GitaneUSA catalog dates with a grain of salt. Mafac Top 63s which became available in late 62 as a 63 model replaced the Tigers. Seems odd that Gitane's top Pro bike in 64 would carry obsolete brakes.
Take every catalog with a grain of salt. The variations between countries and regions of every manufacturer from the 60s-80s can we aggravatingly different.

Of things we know, '64 catalog for the Professional is a near perfect fit. I missed it earlier because I misinterpreted the 531 sticker and missed a fork detail, then referenced the catalog with those bad data points. But if the decals and components as-described fit that perfectly to what's in the catalog for '64 Professional, the headset is also a match to (given stack height differences between it and Campy's offerings), unless there's some glaring, obvious error, chances are that's what it is +/- 1yr.

Old 01-12-21, 09:02 PM
tronnyjenkins 

Given the pricing comments here, I’ll start at $500 locally and see if I get any bites at all. We have some hipsters here in DFW and if I mention it’s all going to charity, you never know. I can take it out for a few rides while I wait to drop the price
Old 01-20-21, 08:59 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tronnyjenkins
Given the pricing comments here, I’ll start at $500 locally and see if I get any bites at all. We have some hipsters here in DFW and if I mention it’s all going to charity, you never know. I can take it out for a few rides while I wait to drop the price
I shared your craigslist posting on Facebook's Gitane Bicycle page. There is a serious collector who wants it, if you're willing to ship. He's offering $250 for someone to facilitate the deal. I figured why not cut out the middleman

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1549...5681017862331/
Old 01-20-21, 09:02 AM
capt_velo

Now that I think about it, Addamsmith is on here....
Old 01-20-21, 09:24 AM
tronnyjenkins 

Originally Posted by capt_velo
I shared your craigslist posting on Facebook's Gitane Bicycle page. There is a serious collector who wants it, if you're willing to ship. He's offering $250 for someone to facilitate the deal. I figured why not cut out the middleman

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1549...5681017862331/
Thanks for that! Would it happen to be gentleman named Dale? (I didn’t click the link yet but did receive an email)

ETA, never mind. Just read through the posts. I asked for permission to join the group so I can hop on there.

Last edited by tronnyjenkins; 01-20-21 at 09:30 AM.
Likes For tronnyjenkins:
Old 01-20-21, 04:52 PM
Addamsmith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 18 Posts
Hi there
i am very keen and offerering you $600 plus postage and handling my cost as its the only one missing from my collection
Hoping you can send to Australia
Kind regards
Addam smith
ps im the guy who message you through craglist and posted on facebook on the gitane page
Also i would make a $100 donation to your charity on top of price as its a fantastic thing you do.

Last edited by Addamsmith; 01-20-21 at 05:02 PM.
Likes For Addamsmith:
Old 01-20-21, 09:59 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Good luck Addam...I hope this works out. I think this is a Professional/Elite … if headset was originally Campy, would be a Pro. If shorter stack height for Stronglight headset, then would more likely be a CdM.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 01-20-21, 10:30 PM
Addamsmith

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Good luck Addam...I hope this works out. I think this is a Professional/Elite … if headset was originally Campy, would be a Pro. If shorter stack height for Stronglight headset, then would more likely be a CdM.
Thanks mate
Its the missing piece of my collection
Old 01-23-21, 02:26 PM
bikemig 

Looks like this bike found a buyer and a good home.
Old 01-23-21, 02:53 PM
capt_velo

Looks like this bike found a buyer and a good home.
Yeah, I hope it all works out. The admin on Facebook deleted my post
Old 03-18-21, 09:39 AM
tronnyjenkins 

Originally Posted by Addamsmith
Thanks mate
Its the missing piece of my collection
Addam, hopefully the bike is treating you and your son well! Do you have any more photos of how you guys have it fixed up?? Just wondering as I'm sure it looks even better than when I shipped it 'across the pond'. Cheers!
Likes For tronnyjenkins: