Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Selling a used bike: include your upgrades or just stock fittings?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 07:37 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm upgrading my bike and will be selling my current one to offset the cost.

The bike is a Trek Crossrip to which I've added fenders, rack, top trunk and replaced the stock mechanical disk brakes with TRP HY/RD hybrid hydro-mechanical. I've also upgraded pedals & tires to more expensive lighter ones. All in, there is probably an additional $400-500 in upgrades.

Am I likely to get a better sale price by returning the bike to its original configuration and selling the upgrades separately, or trying to raise the price of the bike with the upgrades fitted?

My gut feeling is that I will only recoup a fraction of the price of the upgrades if I include them on the bike and would get a better return by selling them separately.

Is there a rule of thumb for how bike prices depreciate? It's less than a year old.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-17, 07:49 PM
manapua_man

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
I'm upgrading my bike and will be selling my current one to offset the cost.

The bike is a Trek Crossrip to which I've added fenders, rack, top trunk and replaced the stock mechanical disk brakes with TRP HY/RD hybrid hydro-mechanical. I've also upgraded pedals & tires to more expensive lighter ones. All in, there is probably an additional $400-500 in upgrades.

Am I likely to get a better sale price by returning the bike to its original configuration and selling the upgrades separately, or trying to raise the price of the bike with the upgrades fitted?

My gut feeling is that I will only recoup a fraction of the price of the upgrades if I include them on the bike and would get a better return by selling them separately.

Is there a rule of thumb for how bike prices depreciate? It's less than a year old.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
IMHO you won't get much of a price bump with the upgrades. You can try asking for a higher price but I personally never offer much for used bikes. Look at what things are selling for in your area, and see how it goes. I've noticed some bikes have been on my local craigslist for months because the owners just want way too much for them.

Last edited by manapua_man; 08-02-17 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 07:59 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Liked 2,945 Times in 1,632 Posts
I'd create two separate listings, one as is and one as was, with prices appropriate to each. Then take the first acceptable offer.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-02-17, 08:04 PM
deapee
Ride On!

Bikes: Allez DSW SL Sprint | Fuji Cross

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If it's something I'll use, it comes off. Saddle, bag, cages, pedals. If it's custom made for that bike and there's no chance I'd use it again, I'd leave it.

Put it up for a fair price, when they try to talk you down, take the upgrades off. I don't sell a bike for profit. I try to sell a well-taken-care-of bike to someone who will appreciate it for a fair price.
Old 08-02-17, 08:07 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Your gut instinct is almost certainly correct. OTOH, you will spend a lot of time selling off the upgrades separately. I would keep any upgrades you're likely to reuse, but otherwise put the bike back like it was, sell it, and sell the upgrades separately. People expect big discounts for used bikes, and are generally ignorant about the cost and value of upgrades.
Old 08-02-17, 08:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
The upgrades will not increase the price, so put it back to stock and sell it.

I had a Trek Madone 4.6 with Easton carbon wheels and better saddle. i sold the bike wit the stock wheels and saddle. Sold the wheels separately and saved the saddle for the future (it's now on mt CX bike).
Old 08-02-17, 09:29 PM
Gresp15C

Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Can you move the accessories to the new bike? I've got things that have been on every bike I've owned since the 80s.
Old 08-02-17, 09:43 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If I'm buying a bike, I'm probably not paying more for addons, because I may or may not want or find value in them. Then again, if they are things I am never going to use again anyways, or something the buyer finds value in, I'd have no problem tossing them in as an addon.

In your case, I probably wouldn't bother swapping the tires unless they were really expensive or going immediately on another bike. I'd keep pedals and rack and bags and fenders, they're likely to go on another bike. Can't really say on brakes, you're not likely to recoup the purchase price, but may well recover the depreciated value.
Old 08-02-17, 10:48 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Some great advice in your answers - thank you!

I'll include items that will be of no use to me and are inexpensive or hard to sell (e.g. plastic fenders, which are also a pain to remove!).

Everything else I will remove and create separate listings for, which I'll link to from the main ad. That way any potential buyer can decide which accessories / upgrades they like the look of, and pick and choose. Anything left over can sell separately in due course.

I'm guessing pitching the price at about 2/3 of full retail price for a 1 year-old bike is about right? I can consider the depreciation as "bike rental" to make myself feel better :-)
Old 08-04-17, 08:24 AM
bp2k8

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I think you can keep the upgrades in a separate area and if the person is knowledgeable or seems interested show it to them otherwise sell stock. It seems to be quite common that seller swill strip an upgraded saddle and throw on a basic saddle or even one that is beat up.
Old 08-04-17, 05:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Liked 737 Times in 458 Posts
Think about your target audience. People looking for a used Crossrip aren't looking for a weight-pared, blingged-out custom machine. A few upgraded components on a used bike may sway the buyer vs a more mundane competitor; but upgrades aren't going to have a major effect on the selling price.
Old 08-06-17, 10:11 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't make the mistake that most do thinking that the money you put into the bike gets added to the price of the bike. It doesn't work that way. Any upgrades, unless significant on a very expensive bike (like really... really nice Enve wheels or something) do not increase the price of the bike unless they compile a very nice "set". For example, if you took a bike and made it a very nice commuter with an IGH, nice metal fenders, good brakes, rack, handlebars, then you may get $50-$150 more for the bike, but if you just randomly added fenders to a bike, you won't get much more for it, if anything.
Old 08-06-17, 10:30 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Don't make the mistake that most do thinking that the money you put into the bike gets added to the price of the bike. It doesn't work that way. Any upgrades, unless significant on a very expensive bike (like really... really nice Enve wheels or something) do not increase the price of the bike unless they compile a very nice "set". For example, if you took a bike and made it a very nice commuter with an IGH, nice metal fenders, good brakes, rack, handlebars, then you may get $50-$150 more for the bike, but if you just randomly added fenders to a bike, you won't get much more for it, if anything.
Thanks. The overwhelming consensus seems to be that it will be best to sell the bike in its stock configuration, and only include any extras which have no resale value, or can't be used on another bike.

I'm going to include the plastic fenders & kick stand because I think these will be difficult to sell and I can't use them on my new bike (no mount points), plus the fenders will be a hassle to take off!
Old 08-07-17, 01:26 AM
Barabaika

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When I look for a used bicycle, I prefer the ones that have the original components.
It's possible to find bikes that were used only 10 times and stored. They are all original without scratches.

What can I say looking at a grainy photo of a bike with "upgraded" components? The frame is probably scratched and most components are worn out or were exchanged for a lesser ones.
Old 08-07-17, 11:27 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Don't make the mistake that most do thinking that the money you put into the bike gets added to the price of the bike. It doesn't work that way.
+1. These are the bicycles that stay on Craigslist for months.

I suspect that potential buyers probably fall into two general groups: those new to cycling and want to start used, and cycling enthusiasts who are looking for a good deal. The former group is likely to care little about upgrades; the latter group probably has their own preferences for components like saddle, pedals, and tires.
Old 08-07-17, 11:58 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I suspect that potential buyers probably fall into two general groups: those new to cycling and want to start used, and cycling enthusiasts who are looking for a good deal. The former group is likely to care little about upgrades; the latter group probably has their own preferences for components like saddle, pedals, and tires.
As one who likes to buy old bikes for riding on CL, I agree with your evaluation of the latter. It is cool that you just upgraded the tires, the saddles, the bar tape, etc to sell, but it adds no value to me, because the second I get it home I am probably ripping it up and putting on the things that I like.

When I see those listings itemizing everything done and adding it to the base value of the bike (or worse, tacking on a LBS tuneup at full value), I don't even bother.
Old 08-07-17, 03:11 PM
johngwheeler

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
+1. These are the bicycles that stay on Craigslist for months.

This makes sense. I would do exactly the same myself - look for either a "garage queen" that has seen little use and has all original parts (a good sign it's not been used by an enthusiast) - or for a good deal in a stock bike with a view to upgrading the parts myself.