Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Recommend a classic light touring rando style frame

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Recommend a classic light touring rando style frame

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 03:01 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by nazcalines
Not my size either, but at $50 I should pick it up for braze on practice.
Just realizing that @Andy_K nabbed this one, and it made it to my shop...
Old 09-30-16, 03:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
Update:

I've decided on my audax frame- It was a tough choice- I was oscillating with each one being the leader at some point.

Initially the Holdsworth led, because I loved the look of the chrome lugs, chainstays, and fork stays, as well as the purple and red paint. Plus, it was only $750 shipped. I decided against it because of a couple of reasons, with one being on the silly side: it was made in Italy instead of England. I know, I know!!!- What's wrong with made in Italy you ask??? I want my English branded bike to be made in England, just as I've only bought Italian branded bikes made in Italy. The other reason was that it only had one set of water bottle bosses.

I was really tempted to go with the Mercian even though it was 50% more than the comparable BJ. The main reason was that I read on their site that they pin their frames before welding. Pinning lugs is a technique that very few builders use, with Richard Sachs being the most well known. Antonio Mondonico pinned when he was building- I have one of the last frames he built before retiring, and it is my favorite riding bike. What ultimately caused me cross them off was their poor communication. I asked questions about tubing and paint and never got a response- asked twice about which tubes are used for the stays and fork on a 631 KOM (wanted to confirm if the stays were downgraded to 525 or the whole frame was 631) and 3 times about trying to match their standard paints with cardinal red and zinc yellow gold (Fight On Trojans!! Even though we are in a downward spiral ) I got tired of trying to extract info from them. It almost felt like they didn't need my business. Cool, they won't get it.

BJ has been great with answering questions. They (Donald) were very accommodating with special requests (willing to use oval stays instead of the standard round-oval-round of the audax frames in order to fit 32s with fenders is just one example). Then I found a pic of an absolutely stunning BJ Audax E-E in Amber flamboyant that sealed the deal. Their paintwork is amazing. The only thing I'm still working on is trying to match their standard colors with the USC colors. Anyhow, check out this Amber baby:
Just remember, when they deliver it...

Pics or it didn't happen!

Very nice, you're going to like that bike. Plug yourself into one of the Portlandia rides that's posted here now and then so we can see it in person.
Old 09-30-16, 03:32 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Just remember, when they deliver it...

Pics or it didn't happen!

Very nice, you're going to like that bike. Plug yourself into one of the Portlandia rides that's posted here now and then so we can see it in person.
I will definitely post pics, and will join in on some rides.

The bike I'll bring to my first Portlandia C&V ride is my Tommasini. It's a beauty if I say so myself. Eventually, I'll change the bar and stem- a chrome VO stem and maybe a nitto bar. I don't like the current set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (23.4 KB, 368 views)
Old 09-30-16, 03:59 PM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I will definitely post pics, and will join in on some rides.

The bike I'll bring to my first Portlandia C&V ride is my Tommasini. It's a beauty if I say so myself. Eventually, I'll change the bar and stem- a chrome VO stem and maybe a nitto bar. I don't like the current set up.
Can't go wrong with the Tommasini! When I changed out the stem and handlebar on my Tommasini I went with a Cinelli 1A stem and Cinelli Giro d'Italia handlebars. Just feels right. I saw your bike on The Tommasini Lounge, very nice!
Old 09-30-16, 04:23 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by nazcalines
Not my size either, but at $50 I should pick it up for braze on practice.
Just realizing that @Andy_K nabbed this one, and it made it to my shop...
Yeah, I got the bike and you got the braze on practice.
Old 09-30-16, 05:48 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Saguaro
Can't go wrong with the Tommasini! When I changed out the stem and handlebar on my Tommasini I went with a Cinelli 1A stem and Cinelli Giro d'Italia handlebars. Just feels right. I saw your bike on The Tommasini Lounge, very nice!
Hey Saguaro, how are your Sun Devils doing this year? Watching the SC game this weekend? I'm going to be on a flight to Toronto so I'll miss it! Argh!!!!

I took some more pics of the Tomma today after my ride. I tried capturing the sparkle of the Tessa red metallic paint.

Having technical issues loading files. Some files won't load, and it seems I can only load one pic at a time. I love this forum but it doesn't have great pic sharing capabilities.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (23.5 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by Ride-Fly; 09-30-16 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 06:09 PM
Saguaro

Bikes: 1982 Nishiki Cresta, 1991 Tommasini Competizione

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
ASU is doing well! The Sun Devils are 4-0 going into the game against USC this weekend, but 10 point underdogs. You bet I'll be watching!

I use Flickr to share photos here, once you get the hang of it its a breeze.
Old 10-01-16, 04:04 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1574 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 859 Posts
BJ has been great with answering questions. They (Donald) were very accommodating with special requests (willing to use oval stays instead of the standard round-oval-round of the audax frames in order to fit 32s with fenders is just one example). Then I found a pic of an absolutely stunning BJ Audax E-E in Amber flamboyant that sealed the deal. Their paintwork is amazing. The only thing I'm still working on is trying to match their standard colors with the USC colors. Anyhow, check out this Amber baby:
I ordered a frame from BJ myself and it is very close to delivery (paint shop now). I plan to use mine for centuries and club rides; a lighter, faster, fancy-pants rando bike. I went with the "Vulcan", because I always wanted one, even if it may not be the 'perfect' rando bike.

^(Mine will be dark green, with lots of chrome)

It has all the fittings I need, and I switched off to canti brakes. It only allows up to 28 tires, which was not a deal breaker, as I've ridden many a rando ride, all on 28s. Would have liked to have the option to use bigger once in a while, but not worth giving up the fancy Hetchins-y stays.

I can confirm that they have excellent customer service. Donald and Gary went the distance answering my silly questions and helping me get the exact finish and fittings I wanted. Here's hoping we both get a good result in short order. I look forward to seeing pics of the Audax.

Did you go with the amber flamboyant finish? If so, very cool. It was one of my final list of choices, but I could not work out a satisfactory match with bands, lug lining and deals. It's hard to choose when you are going for something custom and unique, and can't see it in person. I've never even seen a single Bob Jackson in person! Leap of faith... Mine is bottle green flamboyant with sparkle silver metallic bands, chrome scattered all over and gold decals and lug lining. Here is something similar; the only bike I could find with a similar scheme:

Last edited by chewybrian; 10-01-16 at 04:12 AM.
Old 10-01-16, 07:24 PM
Ride-Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chewybrian
Did you go with the amber flamboyant finish? If so, very cool. It was one of my final list of choices, but I could not work out a satisfactory match with bands, lug lining and deals. It's hard to choose when you are going for something custom and unique, and can't see it in person. I've never even seen a single Bob Jackson in person! Leap of faith... Mine is bottle green flamboyant with sparkle silver metallic bands, chrome scattered all over and gold decals and lug lining. Here is something similar; the only bike I could find with a similar scheme:
I love that Amber flamboyant but I'm going with a red and gold color scheme to match my USC Trojans I'm still trying to figure out the exact colors as I want to get as close as possible to cardinal red and zinc yellow gold. I've asked Donald for the RAL codes of some of their red and gold colors to get as close as possible.

I can't wait to see your Vulcan!!! It's going to be baddazz!!!
Old 10-02-16, 02:22 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

I love that Amber flamboyant but I'm going with a red and gold color scheme to match my USC Trojans I'm still trying to figure out the exact colors as I want to get as close as possible to cardinal red and zinc yellow gold. I've asked Donald for the RAL codes of some of their red and gold colors to get as close as possible.

I can't wait to see your Vulcan!!! It's going to be baddazz!!!

Yes, red and gold is a good combination, with white lug lining it would look sharp. And you can use red or gold decals to match the secondary color. I was looking at that combination, but I got set on having gold lug lining, and then it would not have worked. Color was by far the hardest choice for me. There are many desirable combinations.

What about components? How do you want to build it? Retro, modern, faux retro? I would call mine faux retro. It's 2x10 with bar end shifters. The components are all new, but they look old.

I just noticed the epic collection of bikes you have already; very cool.
Old 10-02-16, 04:10 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
My recommendation is to up your budget. If you want a new rando/audax style bike not made in Asia, $1k is too low unless that is your budget for the frame. A gunnar sport with fork runs north of $1k.

If you like older bikes, then $1k will get you a heck of a bike. Here's a thread on classic sports touring bikes:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...g-bicycle.html
I would agree 100%. You'll even have money left over for racks and fenders if you want. Good luck on the hunt.
Old 10-02-16, 06:26 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Sizing is still a personal choice, but if you mean by "rando" a bike that you can ride all day long, 2-300km at a clip, bending over in a classic, aerodynamic position may not be conductive to a healthy back. Additionally, the rando scene is really pushing towards an "all-rounder" bike (Jan Heine's declaration), which means being able to handle unpaved roads. Sitting up a bit more, handlebar and seat height difference minimal, the tendency is to ride a slightly taller frame for the longer head tube.

YMMV.
I think the bottom line here is that for long and very long rides (whatever the road and whatever they are called), you have to find a sizing (what size frame?) and fitting (where do all my contact points need to be?) that is comfortable for the long-term conditions of such a ride. This could be different from a performance fit, or one where you don't need such long-term comfort.

But I don't think there are any formulas that are reliable for everyone. Jan may be identifying a trend, but perhaps it's just a PNW trend. I don't think it dictates what I should do or what will work for me.
Old 10-02-16, 06:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Sizing is still a personal choice, but if you mean by "rando" a bike that you can ride all day long, 2-300km at a clip, bending over in a classic, aerodynamic position may not be conductive to a healthy back. Additionally, the rando scene is really pushing towards an "all-rounder" bike (Jan Heine's declaration), which means being able to handle unpaved roads. Sitting up a bit more, handlebar and seat height difference minimal, the tendency is to ride a slightly taller frame for the longer head tube.

YMMV.
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I think the bottom line here is that for long and very long rides (whatever the road and whatever they are called), you have to find a sizing (what size frame?) and fitting (where do all my contact points need to be?) that is comfortable for the long-term conditions of such a ride. This could be different from a performance fit, or one where you don't need such long-term comfort.

But I don't think there are any formulas that are reliable for everyone. Jan may be identifying a trend, but perhaps it's just a PNW trend. I don't think it dictates what I should do or what will work for me.
My favorites all rounder is my 1993 Bridgestone XO-2. It has road geometry but 26 inch wheels. I've been using 26 x 1.6 pasela tires. The bike came came stock with a nitto dynamic bar which has a nice positive rise. The bike handles superbly over all types of terrain. This was designed to be a fast bike that could handle gravel and it works very well. The 26 inch wheels really accelerate well and are light weight.

Still I agree that the trend to smaller wheels is not the end all and be all for rando bikes. One of my favorite bikes--and I think Road Fan has one as well--is a 1984 Trek 610. It's a classic sports touring bike with long reach brakes, eyelets, and a little longer wheelbase than a racing bike. It can't handle all the road surfaces that the XO-2 (or a 650b bike) can but it is a superb road bike. It's not the fanciest bike I own but it is the one I rode consistently this year because it is so comfortable.
Old 10-02-16, 11:07 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris W.
If Mercian, and Bob Jackson are on your short list, I would also look at "Woodrup" framesets.

Cheers,
Chris
I would echo this suggestion (I was going to make it myself until I looked at the Woodrup website and could not find any custom frame pricing. It could easily cost twice what the Bob Jackson costs.

Plus, with used ones, check the tubing specs and look up (or discuss with Scooper) the actual frame tubing specifications.

Woodrups seem to have been made with any and all tubing brands and models, probably based on customer requirements.

But I have a 1980 531 Woodrup that is a superb distance bike, at least for my back to back metric centuries and related training. Now that I have it again I need to start building it back up and see if I still think that.

The Kevin Sayles build was quite wonderful however!
Old 10-02-16, 12:33 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
Folks,

He already chose his frame. Read the thread!
Old 10-02-16, 03:13 PM
Ride-Fly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
Folks,

He already chose his frame. Read the thread!
Thanks Kilroy!! Funny how some don't read through thread. 😄
Old 10-02-16, 03:16 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Thanks Kilroy!! Funny how some don't read through thread. 😄
Guilty as charged, but congrats on your decision.

Bring on the pics.
Old 10-02-16, 04:59 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Update:

I've decided on my audax frame- It was a tough choice- I was oscillating with each one being the leader at some point.

Initially the Holdsworth led, because I loved the look of the chrome lugs, chainstays, and fork stays, as well as the purple and red paint. Plus, it was only $750 shipped. I decided against it because of a couple of reasons, with one being on the silly side: it was made in Italy instead of England. I know, I know!!!- What's wrong with made in Italy you ask??? I want my English branded bike to be made in England, just as I've only bought Italian branded bikes made in Italy. The other reason was that it only had one set of water bottle bosses.

I was really tempted to go with the Mercian even though it was 50% more than the comparable BJ. The main reason was that I read on their site that they pin their frames before welding. Pinning lugs is a technique that very few builders use, with Richard Sachs being the most well known. Antonio Mondonico pinned when he was building- I have one of the last frames he built before retiring, and it is my favorite riding bike. What ultimately caused me cross them off was their poor communication. I asked questions about tubing and paint and never got a response- asked twice about which tubes are used for the stays and fork on a 631 KOM (wanted to confirm if the stays were downgraded to 525 or the whole frame was 631) and 3 times about trying to match their standard paints with cardinal red and zinc yellow gold (Fight On Trojans!! Even though we are in a downward spiral ) I got tired of trying to extract info from them. It almost felt like they didn't need my business. Cool, they won't get it.

Congrats on you decision ride-fly. I think that Bob Jackson will be perfect for you. And I'm looking forward to seeing it. Let us know when it's on its way.

For me, Mercian worked out well. The price was only slightly more than BJ with the options I wanted. I didn't have any communication problems but I'm not super talkative. Grant was very nice on the phone.
Old 10-02-16, 05:06 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I ordered a frame from BJ myself and it is very close to delivery (paint shop now). I plan to use mine for centuries and club rides; a lighter, faster, fancy-pants rando bike. I went with the "Vulcan", because I always wanted one, even if it may not be the 'perfect' rando bike.

^(Mine will be dark green, with lots of chrome)

It has all the fittings I need, and I switched off to canti brakes. It only allows up to 28 tires, which was not a deal breaker, as I've ridden many a rando ride, all on 28s. Would have liked to have the option to use bigger once in a while, but not worth giving up the fancy Hetchins-y stays.
Wow chewy, that's going to be some bike. You didn't hold back did you! I was fortunate enough to work on a lot of old Hetchins bikes during my LBS days, and they always amazed me. If I wasn't a big galoot, I would have gotten a fancy lugs bike too (BJ Vulcan or Mercian Vincitore), but I wanted an OS tubeset.
Old 10-02-16, 05:11 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Congrats on you decision ride-fly. I think that Bob Jackson will be perfect for you. And I'm looking forward to seeing it. Let us know when it's on its way.

For me, Mercian worked out well. The price was only slightly more than BJ with the options I wanted. I didn't have any communication problems but I'm not super talkative. Grant was very nice on the phone.
Old school British steel for both of you! love it and good on ya, excellent choices both. Can't wait to see how they're done, bring it on!
Old 10-02-16, 05:19 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Also just aquired an old Holdsworth touring frame that I think was custom built after looking at Cinelli's and Colnago's and missing some deals on those ended up with this at a pretty good deal, but it is way down the queue so it will be a while, good thing I have a couple of Merz's.
Old 10-02-16, 06:21 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Wow chewy, that's going to be some bike. You didn't hold back did you! I was fortunate enough to work on a lot of old Hetchins bikes during my LBS days, and they always amazed me. If I wasn't a big galoot, I would have gotten a fancy lugs bike too (BJ Vulcan or Mercian Vincitore), but I wanted an OS tubeset.
I hope it turns out to be a bit special. I don't know that buying one shows that I'm not a big galoot, though. It's just one of those things where you say to yourself: "someday...". Then one day you decide you're not gettin' any younger, so...

I commuted by bicycle for many years and saved all the money I could have spent on a car. So, I feel no guilt cutting loose on this.

p.s. Did the Mercian arrive or are you still waiting?
Old 10-02-16, 06:55 PM
merziac

I hope it turns out to be a bit special. I don't know that buying one shows that I'm not a big galoot, though. It's just one of those things where you say to yourself: "someday...". Then one day you decide you're not gettin' any younger, so...

I commuted by bicycle for many years and saved all the money I could have spent on a car. So, I feel no guilt cutting loose on this.

p.s. Did the Mercian arrive or are you still waiting?
I don't think there is any galoot about it, you know what you want, and you are going to get it, plain and simple as that.
Old 10-02-16, 07:23 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Heh Ride Fly, check this one out.

Lots to like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garyca...th/5263975250/
Old 10-02-16, 07:40 PM
merziac

Originally Posted by gomango
Heh Ride Fly, check this one out.

Lots to like.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garyca...th/5263975250/
Why am I not surprised that Grady found us a beautiful orange one to drool over, absolutely smashing!

Tx!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.