Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ride hard, take a small break, ride hard again

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-23, 07:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts

Interesting phenomenon these days. I may be pushing along in Z4 and starting to feel fatigued so I back off to 3 or 2 for about 30 seconds, then my energy returns and I can get back to 4 and continue to push, rinse and repeat. Micro rest breaks while riding somehow reenergize me.

Anyone else have something similar happening?

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-26-23, 08:14 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
Interval workouts. The first few always feel refreshing, but try doing 10 of those Z4's with a short break in-between and then tell us how you feel.
Old 11-26-23, 08:30 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

I avoid doing intervals like the plague, but evidently not COVID. Appreciate your suggestion, but not that much.

Old 11-26-23, 08:30 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Yeah, 30 seconds is a big help!

Even riding a high Zone 2 long climb pace on the Blue Ridge Parkway: I cruise through an overlook to check the views for 20-30 seconds, and I get a nice boost of renewed energy. It's surprising and so nice.

Likes For rm -rf:
Old 11-27-23, 04:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
There is no phenomenon here. Most humans figure this out as children. Tired, rest, revive, pretty basic.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 11-27-23, 06:39 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Interesting phenomenon these days. I may be pushing along in Z4 and starting to feel fatigued so I back off to 3 or 2 for about 30 seconds, then my energy returns and I can get back to 4 and continue to push, rinse and repeat. Micro rest breaks while riding somehow reenergize me.

Absolutely! Ability to quickly recover from a hard effort (burning a match) is key to a lot of fast group rides, especially on punchy, rolling terrain. I also do this often in Zwift events. The start is usually a full gas effort to hang onto the front group and then try to recover when the pace inevitably settles down. Rinse and repeat over every rise and climb and the inevitable finishing sprint! There is however a limit to the number of matches you can burn. Eventually the flame goes out! The longer the ride, the more reluctant I am to burn matches along the way as I find it has the effect of slightly reducing my endurance pace. Even the pros pay a penalty in this respect if they burn too many matches, even after they have apparently recovered from these efforts.
Old 11-27-23, 09:43 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts

Sure. That sort of training can work.

Years ago, I did hard distance running. Often (usually) in the hills. But on group runs we quite often did interval sequences. On a 10-15 mile run over all terrain, it can be difficult to dish up a hard surge when the terrain's ugly (ie, going up a long slope). But, over time, such hard-surge training can yield benefits. We found that the recovery time fell, the more often we did such training runs. And, in races it was an obvious advantage to be able to surge past a competitor or up/over a hill where others weren't prepared to hit it hard. Translated well to cycling, too, insofar as the cardiovascular was concerned. (Didn't do performance cycling, back then, so I didn't often put it to "good" use there.)

Takes time to get that sort of training to translate to normal output, from my experience. But, do it enough, hard enough, then eventually you'll begin to find that you can surge a bit harder, a bit longer, and when you back off you find recovery times shrink. Wish it were easier to achieve, as it's certainly a hard effort ... but the body can respond well to it, incorporating it regularly into your training.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 11-27-23, 09:56 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
Yep, all the time. After a few though I find a short get off the bike and stretch for a minute or two is needed.
Old 11-27-23, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
In the constantly rolling terrain that I have around me, it's what I've been doing ever since I started riding seriously for fitness. Press hard up the hills, go somewhat hard on the little bit of level and false flats, recover on the downhill and the false flats I'm not trying to go hard on. It seems the length of climbs and frequency of the hills is well timed here for intervals.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-27-23, 10:17 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Interesting. For me, it depends on the duration of the z4 and is it solo or in a group where the power varies. 30 seconds of less pedal force feels great but the time is pretty short for any meaningful recovery.

Last edited by Hermes; 11-28-23 at 08:14 AM.
Old 11-27-23, 12:03 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 377 Posts
Now that you mention it, I've often ridden this way and wondered if I would be faster with a more consistent effort. I think that TTs are uniquely challenging because they demand that sustained effort.
Likes For john m flores:
Old 11-27-23, 12:23 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by john m flores
Now that you mention it, I've often ridden this way and wondered if I would be faster with a more consistent effort. I think that TTs are uniquely challenging because they demand that sustained effort.
It depends on the terrain, duration and group vs solo.

A flat TT or a steady long mountain climb is faster with a consistent, measured effort. But a lumpy, rolling course with many punchy climbs is usually faster if you ride hard up the climbs and rest on the descents. Most of my local riding is the latter. I can be up at VO2 max power on the steep climbs for a few minutes at a time and then recover over the top for 30 seconds or so before ramping back up to endurance power. There is a local ride nicknamed “The Baker’s Dozen” that has 13 brutal 20%+ climbs with matching descents and short flat sections in-between. It is the ultimate interval session!
Old 12-01-23, 01:37 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
I have read of a similar trick for doing well in the kilometer - go as hard as you can for the first lap, "float" through the second, then all-out for the third.
Old 12-01-23, 07:50 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 455 Times in 266 Posts
It's called 'recovery'
Likes For Kai Winters:
Old 12-01-23, 12:19 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
I have read of a similar trick for doing well in the kilometer - go as hard as you can for the first lap, "float" through the second, then all-out for the third.
Sprint events are a different beast -- I don't think there's any time for recovery in a 1km time trial. It's simply anaerobic torture. The basic strategy is "go like hell to get up to speed" and hope that you don't lose much power towards the end. If you still have something left for the final 100, you didn't go hard enough in the first 900.

Here's the speed profile for Hoogland's world record. Speed peaks at the 500m mark, then slowly declines to the finish.

All sprint events go like that: full gas power to get up to speed, then a gradual power decline to the finish line. Full gas power is short lived (5-7 seconds).

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 12-01-23, 12:33 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Been doing this all along. My local short rides are all Up and Down small hills of about 150 meters. I am so wasted when I get to the top that I don't pedal down hill.

With that in mind I remind myself that a 10 mile ride is only 5 miles of pedaling... Ha
Old 12-01-23, 03:58 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
For those that don't have a ton of experience on the course, I'm all for 'negative splits' (going faster during the last half than the first)
You will never recover from starting too fast.
When I rode TOSRV, I knew to go slow for the first 50 miles, because the next 50 miles and the 100 miles the next day would be a lot harder.
Likes For Speedskater:
Old 12-02-23, 08:11 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I avoid doing intervals like the plague, but evidently not COVID. Appreciate your suggestion, but not that much.
I won’t willingly do intervals on a bike, which is a small part of why I ride single speed: hills and headwinds force the high intensity on you as an existential crisis. Now that I’m mostly running, OTOH, I find that I’m fine with running all kinds of intervals. I’m not exactly sure why, but that is how it is for me. Maybe it’s as simple as I’m following a training plan, so I do what it tells me to do.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 12-02-23, 03:41 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedskater
For those that don't have a ton of experience on the course, I'm all for 'negative splits' (going faster during the last half than the first)
You will never recover from starting too fast.
When I rode TOSRV, I knew to go slow for the first 50 miles, because the next 50 miles and the 100 miles the next day would be a lot harder.
For whatever reason, my body seems to respond best with the "negative splits" approach. All of my personal-best times on courses have been with that. I've always figured my body performed best when well warmed-up, worse when it wasn't quite ready for the push. Have had record course best times on both shorter distances and long ... best when I warmed up gradually prior to the race, came ready to go, started at a somewhat slower pace, then hammered the "race" pace on the tail third or half of the course. Funny how that works.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 12-05-23, 09:15 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
The "Galloway" marathon training/racing method for runners.
Old 12-05-23, 04:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Clyde1820
For whatever reason, my body seems to respond best with the "negative splits" approach. All of my personal-best times on courses have been with that. I've always figured my body performed best when well warmed-up, worse when it wasn't quite ready for the push. Have had record course best times on both shorter distances and long ... best when I warmed up gradually prior to the race, came ready to go, started at a somewhat slower pace, then hammered the "race" pace on the tail third or half of the course. Funny how that works.
As I have aged, I have found that your approach of warming prior to pushing it works for me. When I burn matches upfront, such as tackling hills too hard, then I pay for it on longer (50+ miles), when there are even more hills and one big one to get home. A typical ride 30 mile ride is 2000’ whereas a 50+ goes 3500’+. Warm up first and then slowly build up the watts for the last half.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-29-23, 03:08 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
I can relate to this, hammer, let up a bit, hammer some more. Quantifying in zone language though is foreign to me as I don't use any measuring devices in riding. Hammering is hammering though regardless of what it's called, and especially helpful in winter as I have a hard time staying consistently warm, especially with no direct sunlight. In summer it's just more about having fun, I love the heat and humidity !
Old 01-03-24, 09:59 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
That never worked for me. Time lost is never recovered. We're talking about seconds in an effort which (for me) was just a short bit over a minute...
A really well structured 'warmup' before your 'ride' was critical. There's that interval between 'warmup' and the actual ride that determined how well I could ride.
Too little and not properly staged warmup would have me locking up badly on the 3rd lap. Too much and the last lap power just wasn;t there.
I was never very good at the Kilo, but did it anyway because it was always a great challenge.
This is the one event where having a 'power meter' to both train and ride, would have been a HUGE help.!
Ride On
Yuri