Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are You A Spinner Or A Grinder Up Hills?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-24, 09:19 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I'm the skinny climber who has observed the same trends forever. And, yes, there are exceptions. But not a whole lot. Not nearly enough to suggest Tomato Coupe's hypothesis that standing is an equal burden regardless of weight.
I'll just copy and paste:
A statement was made that there is an additional penalty for heavier riders (as compared to lighter riders) if they climb while standing because "you spend too much energy keeping that body weight going up and down", and you have echoed that. That statement is either incorrect or misleading, depending on how you look at it, and that is what my comment addressed.

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
... if TCs theory was right, we light guys with bikes that are percentage-weight-wise much heavier should be eating it on the hard hills, not thriving.)
Yes, bike weight does present a bigger burden for lighter riders while climbing, but that's true regardless of whether they're standing or sitting. It's incorrect, however, to conclude that this would make lighter riders uncompetitive on climbs -- it all depends on a rider's power-to-weight ratio, where weight includes the bike and the rider.
Old 03-11-24, 09:38 PM
marko_1111

Bikes: several. all favorites.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Funny. I grew up in Texas and everything was a 'coke', so if you were getting the drinks and everybody in the crew wanted a 'coke', it meant you needed to know who wanted an actual coke or a dr pepper or a pepsi or a 7up or whatever

On topic and on the really steep sections of my daily, I used to be a standing grinder running 53/39 with a pine cone 13/21 seven speed. That was thirty-five years ago. Now I'm a sitting grinder on the steeps running 50/34 with an 11/28 eleven speed

And I'm ok with that
Old 03-11-24, 10:01 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by marko_1111
On topic and on the really steep sections of my daily, I used to be a standing grinder running 53/39 with a pine cone 13/21 seven speed. That was thirty-five years ago. Now I'm a sitting grinder on the steeps running 50/34 with an 11/28 eleven speed
And I'm ok with that
You had a 39 chainring living in Texas? Why? Because the 6% bridges over the freeways were too steep?
I've had the privilege of leaving Texas twice in my life (Fort F*****ing Hood, blech) and fear I will not live long enough to experience that singular thrill once more. I got hit-n-runned and another time I was in a Honda car that rolled after hitting a dead cow left in the middle of a corner in the road. Such a terrible place, and every Texan describes -the hill country" as a real purty place. Utter tish-hole.
Old 03-11-24, 10:08 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by calamarichris
I got hit-n-runned and another time I was in a Honda car that rolled after hitting a dead cow left in the middle of a corner in the road.
So, the cow came back to life and left the scene without reporting the accident?
Old 03-11-24, 10:20 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
So, the cow came back to life and left the scene without reporting the accident?
Nope. It must've been hit by a truck and left there. My friend was driving his girlfriend's Honda and we rolled a few times after hitting the cow corpse. Between that, Dwight Loving, and the Luby's Massacre, I don't have a whole lot of positive memories of Texas. Also living in the Army barracks. It suuuuuuuucked every kind of @$$ from every conceivable angle. Oh yeah, once on a ride, a large truck rolled over a large nut-bolt assembly that FLEW UP AND HIT ME IN THE FACE. I still have a scar on my face from it. And my roommate hanged himself in the latrine with the strings of his laundrybag. The MPs wouldn't let me go to work, then when I finally got to work, my boss started processing paperwork to Article-15 me. Thankfully the lieutenant above him intervened and I was able to keep my stupid rank as a PFC.
Also I got a PI (public intoxication) ticket in Austin when I was 19. We had just seen the Circle Jerks (punk band) at Joe's Generic Bar, and the only reason my squadmates paid for me is because I was too young to drink and I was therefore their designated driver. But I was with them and designated by the Texas officers as a fellow drunk.

Yeah, not a whole lot of positive memories of F*******g texas. Except that the same weekend I got that ticket, Willie Nelson (Austin's Own Son) was arrested by the same police dept for sleeping one off in his van by the side of the road. Way to be Texas!

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-11-24 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 10:35 PM
tomato coupe

Nope. It must've been hit by a truck and left there.
If you hit a cow, how were you a victim of hit and run?
Old 03-11-24, 10:46 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
If you hit a cow, how were you a victim of hit and run?
Separate incident. I got hit-n-runned by a guy in a Ford Ranger turning right into me while looking directly at me through his aviator sunglasses. He was also wearing a flightsuit. Just lost a little skin off my knee and elbow, but the dude just drove off. Classic Texas.

Just remembered: got hit another time while riding in Texas. FUBARed my front wheel, but at least the guy didn't drive off in this instance. He stuck around, but never answered the phone. So I had to pay for a new front wheel myself. When I think of texas, well... civil society are not exactly synonyms that come to mind.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-11-24 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-11-24, 11:15 PM
marko_1111

Bikes: several. all favorites.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
You had a 39 chainring living in Texas? Why? Because the 6% bridges over the freeways were too steep?
I've had the privilege of leaving Texas twice in my life (Fort F*****ing Hood, blech) and fear I will not live long enough to experience that singular thrill once more. I got hit-n-runned and another time I was in a Honda car that rolled after hitting a dead cow left in the middle of a corner in the road. Such a terrible place, and every Texan describes -the hill country" as a real purty place. Utter tish-hole.
Uh no. I grew up there but moved to Boulder, CO when I was 19. Never looked back, other than family living there

But now that you mention it I spent time in the hill country when I had relatives in Gatesville, and when my dad bought a '66 Mustang at a tiny little dealer near there in 1968 he handed me the keys when we walked out to the car and let me drive out to Ft Hood. I was 8

I'm not romantic about the place. When I think of Gatesville, I remember being dropped off with grandparents over the summer and the call of mourning doves. It's a lonely sound

You know, when I was growing up, only Texans lived in Texas. Imagine that
Likes For marko_1111:
Old 03-11-24, 11:23 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Originally Posted by marko_1111
Uh no. I grew up there but moved to Boulder, CO when I was 19. Never looked back, other than family living there
You know, when I was growing up, only Texans lived in Texas. Imagine that
My father was stationed at Fort Hood during my childhood. Then I suffered that grave misfortune myself as an Army private. I've lived in many places since then, magnificent places like Colorado, and the Netherlands where bicycle is king. I do no fear hell, for I have lived in Fort Hood. Twice. Bring it, Satan.

Last edited by calamarichris; 03-11-24 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-12-24, 06:09 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
A "grinder," due to old injuries from way back. Have never felt comfortable being up out of the saddle, and I've rarely done "performance" cycling sufficient to find out-of-saddle climbing necessary. These days, a low gearing setup (of ~15 gear inches) allows me to grind reasonably well.

https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...N=MPH&DV=teeth
Old 03-13-24, 09:54 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Spin in the saddle, drop gears when out of the saddle.

So both.
Old 03-13-24, 11:38 PM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
Spin all day. Always have been but now especially due to having torn a meniscus last fall. Additionally. as a serious and consistent runner, trail running specifically, I'm acclimated to holding a relatively high heart rate on climbs and find I perform best when I get my heartrate up to where I would normally have it while running.
Old 03-14-24, 09:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
A "grinder," due to old injuries from way back. Have never felt comfortable being up out of the saddle, and I've rarely done "performance" cycling sufficient to find out-of-saddle climbing necessary. These days, a low gearing setup (of ~15 gear inches) allows me to grind reasonably well.

https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR=...N=MPH&DV=teeth
How slowly do you pedal 15gi?
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-14-24, 11:42 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
As a recumbent rider, definitely a spinner. I was before when doing fully loaded touring with a tendem.
Likes For Tony Marley:
Old 03-14-24, 11:44 AM
Pantah

Bikes: More than I have room for.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Imagine a bike with a lowest possible gear ratio resulting in 6 gear inches. Slow is the name of the game. My brother managed to pull a Jeep Wrangler across a parking lot with that ratio.
Likes For Pantah:
Old 03-14-24, 01:17 PM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by chaadster
A bit above 3mph would be my estimate ... at least, calculated, given ~70rpm (@gear-calculator.com). Roughly the lower limit of my ability to remain upright.

It's certainly not my normal 85-90rpm. But (with the injuries) it's about all the power I can put down on steeper inclines. Nice to have such a lower gear. If I end up needing more, it'll then be time for different drivetrain or even electric bike.
Old 03-15-24, 06:40 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
A bit above 3mph would be my estimate ... at least, calculated, given ~70rpm (@gear-calculator.com). Roughly the lower limit of my ability to remain upright.

It's certainly not my normal 85-90rpm. But (with the injuries) it's about all the power I can put down on steeper inclines. Nice to have such a lower gear. If I end up needing more, it'll then be time for different drivetrain or even electric bike.
People often automatically assume lower gears means less power and lower speed, but once we are reduced to grinding at sub 50 cadence in a higher gear then most people produce more power in a much lower gear at 80+ rpm cadence.
Old 03-15-24, 08:12 AM
Clyde1820

Originally Posted by PeteHski
People often automatically assume lower gears means less power and lower speed, but once we are reduced to grinding at sub 50 cadence in a higher gear then most people produce more power in a much lower gear at 80+ rpm cadence.
The way I view this is through my experience with the injury. I can only put so much power down, at any cadence/speed. But at higher RPM's (well, higher for me) I find that I can generally sustain the cadence. But the moment my RPM's tank, say down to the ~50-60 range, up that same hill I'm going to end up unable to push hard enough with the injured leg. So, for me it's a balancing act. I love that I've got a fairly low gearing. But as many have pointed out in other discussions it can become difficult to remain upright if ending up too slow. Ah, well. The realities of aging decrepitude.

Back in the mid-80s it didn't impact me nearly so much. Test-rode a Ritchey Ultra, at the time, and for the test-ride I went straight up a steep hard-packed slope while sitting down on the saddle ... and I just selected the lowest gear, kept the cadence up, and powered right up that slope. Was about ~30 degrees or more, as I recall. Easy enough, with that bike. Can't remember what the gear-inches were (at the bottom end). These days, though, even a moderate rise up an overpass road aches, on a "regularly-geared" bike, while that same incline as simple on my own low-geared bike.