Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Integrated Bar-Stem Designs... Love, Hate, or Somewhere in Between??

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-23, 07:48 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 48 Posts

I recently purchased my first bike with an integrated one-piece bar-stem design, a 2024 Trek Madone SLR7. On the whole, I love the way the bike rides, and it fits me very well. However, the one-piece bar-stem design is less than ideal IMO for the simple reason that you cannot rotate the handlebar position. I prefer to position the handlebars so the drops are level with the ground. With the fixed position of the Madone's handlebars the ends of the drops "feel" slightly above level. I will adjust, it's not a deal-breaker by any means; the position is just not my ideal preference. The one-piece design also removes a variable in the overall fit equation, which is never good... so for some people it might be a deal-breaker.

Bike manufacturers IMO should not be designing bikes in a manner that removes options for dialing in the rider's preferred fit.

In short, I don't love 'em, I don't hate 'em. I just don't see this trend towards handlebars with an integrated bar-stem as progress. Thoughts?
Old 12-21-23, 09:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I didn't realize that the bars can't be rotated in them. Is that just your particular brand/model of integrated stem or is that common for most all of them?

I tend to be of the thought that I'll avoid them if possible. But that was also a thought I had about disc brakes when I was looking for a new bicycle. That thought got dropped quick, as the offerings for bikes with rim brakes were less than desirable at the time when all else about the bike was considered. I wasn't uncomfortable about the idea of disc brakes on road bikes, I just felt they were overkill for a road bike. My experience with disc brakes so far has been extremely good. However I'm concerned that won't be the same if I get a new bike with integrated bars/stem.

And likely when looking for my next bike in a year or two, I'll still be looking at models with higher tier components and frame build. I imagine that all the upper end models have integrated bar/stem on them and I'll have to capitulate and accept them. Or settle for a lower tier bike.
Old 12-21-23, 12:09 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Bikes: Basso Diamante SV (2021), Trek Speed Concept SLR7 (2023), Time Alpe D'Huez (2023), Trek Madone SLR7 (2024)

Originally Posted by Iride01
I didn't realize that the bars can't be rotated in them. Is that just your particular brand/model of integrated stem or is that common for most all of them?
The Madone bar and stem are literally one continuous unit with no separation, so it is what it is and that's all it is (and will ever be )... same goes for all other integrated bar-stem configurations (AFAIK).

Even in the photo it looks like the drops curl up slightly. Not sure why Trek went this route . It just strikes me as "less neutral" compared to placing the bottom of the drops more parallel with the ground.

Last edited by Turnin_Wrenches; 12-21-23 at 12:17 PM.
Old 12-21-23, 12:13 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
An integrated bar/stem is one piece. There is no rotational adjustment of the bar independent of the stem. This is typical for an integrated setup.
Old 12-21-23, 12:19 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
I have an integrated bar (PRO Stealth Evo) on my newest road bike. I like it fine. It replaced a FSA integrated bar that was on the bike when I bought it because the dimensions weren't right for me. I have separate pieces on my gravel bike and MTB. I would put an integrated on my MTB without hesitation. I REALLY love the bar that I have on my gravel bike right now, and don't want to give that up.

An argument can certainly be made that an integrated bar's lack of rotational adjustability is a step backwards.
Old 12-23-23, 08:33 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,084 Posts

Gary Klein says hello
Old 12-23-23, 08:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I simply won't. I am no longer young and adaptable. In fact, handlebar rotation, brake lever location and handlebar position (ie stem length and/or height changes fairly regularly as I juggle old hand injuries, both chronic and from accidents.
Old 12-24-23, 06:35 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I like my integrated now, but it won't be long until I'm with @79pmooney. The lack of adjustment is negative and non-trivial.
Old 12-24-23, 04:35 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

After several rides on the new Madone, I'm adjusting to the integrated bar-stem. It's starting to feel pretty normal. The overall fit of the bike is really good, so any complaints about the cockpit and front-end setup are quite miner.
Old 12-24-23, 04:49 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 342 Posts
I like the aesthetic of them, especially with internally-routed cables. That being said...the lack of adjustability is a real turn-off for me. I generally know what I'm looking for in frame geo/numbers, so if I could spec the stem length before I bought it, I wouldn't have an issue with an integrated bar/stem. I'm partial to Canyon, but this isn't an option for them ATM. A new bar/stem is $400 and likely to be out of stock.
Likes For Sierra_rider:
Old 12-25-23, 05:33 AM
Turnin_Wrenches

Originally Posted by Sierra_rider
I like the aesthetic of them, especially with internally-routed cables. That being said...the lack of adjustability is a real turn-off for me. I generally know what I'm looking for in frame geo/numbers, so if I could spec the stem length before I bought it, I wouldn't have an issue with an integrated bar/stem. I'm partial to Canyon, but this isn't an option for them ATM. A new bar/stem is $400 and likely to be out of stock.
I also do not understand why bicycle manufacturers don't allow the rider to select the bar-stem at the time of order. When you force the rider to commit to such a rigid design that has zero adjustability they should provide some reasonable choices prior to purchase. As you correctly point out, these are not inexpensive parts to swap out.

I'm not sure if the trend with these integrated bar-stem combos will last. Yes, they are aero. Aesthetically, they are pleasing to the eye because of the clean, streamlined design. However, lack of adjustability and the added difficulty they create for basic maintenance may outweigh the benefits for many riders. The replacement of headset bearings is much more difficult, and many home mechanics don't have the skills or the patience to complete the task.
Old 12-25-23, 11:43 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
I use a particular bar width and stem length. When I look at these integrated offerings I rarely see my combo. Thus I really don’t see the point of these except they are pretty. Practical ?, No.
Old 12-28-23, 06:34 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
I found my ideal bar/stem combination ten years ago and I'm sticking to it. Even though Pro stopped making it a couple years ago.
Old 12-28-23, 07:56 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
I just don't see the benefit of an integrated system, just how many watts are actually being saved with this design? Considering the high cost, most of these seem a few hundred more than a good carbon bar and high end stem, and complete lack of adjustibility, I just don't see their value. It does allow companies like trek to help justify the absurd pricing of their higher end bikes while making everything more expensive to customize the fit.
Old 12-29-23, 05:16 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 127 Posts
Well it's no different than the mtb bullmoose bars and integrated stems, my '83 Stumpie Sport came with one. I wasn't fond of it and replaced it. Manufacturers can rationalize it all they wish, that it saves weight, inventory space, bolts, whatever. They are what they are though. I don't buy such bikes I have no worries there. I never liked buying complete bikes as there's always a compromise somewhere that ends up getting replaced, so you just buy more parts anyways.
Old 12-30-23, 06:09 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Manufacturers can rationalize it all they wish, that it saves weight, inventory space, bolts, whatever. They are what they are though.
It's light, aero, sexy, and expensive. And it requires more space because they have to have the combinations in stock.
Old 12-31-23, 03:07 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,566 Times in 1,028 Posts
It should be said that the numbers used to describe bars and stems are pretty variable, and you can really get into trouble with a $400 barstem purchase if you miss how they measured them.

Factors are:
1. Sloped drops vs straight, which gives narrower hoods than drops.
2. Which is a real issue if you go by the drop number but only ride the hoods on your current bar.
3. CTC vs OTO. Outside measured bars are 1-1.5cm narrower than center measure. Companies vary this somewhat unpredicatably.
4. Reach. Stem length is already a little inconsistent between makers, but barstems measure the stem length to a somewhat arbitrary point on the tops. And then bar reach it self is considerably variable. So even if your barstem seems to match your current stem length, how long is the reach on the bar section compared to your current bar? Maybe you actually need a different stem length to end up with the right hood reach. (Assuming the same hood, those vary, too.)
5. Hood angle. Since you can't change bar angle, the only way to have a different hood angle is to rotate the hoods higher on the bar. While many barstems keep an even curve to allow for this, raising or lowering the hoods will dramatically change both lever reach from the drops and reach.

So I would not buy a barstem sight-unseen unless you can return it after mounting.
Old 12-31-23, 08:02 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Originally Posted by Kontact
It should be said that the numbers used to describe bars and stems are pretty variable, and you can really get into trouble with a $400 barstem purchase if you miss how they measured them.

Factors are:
1. Sloped drops vs straight, which gives narrower hoods than drops.
2. Which is a real issue if you go by the drop number but only ride the hoods on your current bar.
3. CTC vs OTO. Outside measured bars are 1-1.5cm narrower than center measure. Companies vary this somewhat unpredicatably.
4. Reach. Stem length is already a little inconsistent between makers, but barstems measure the stem length to a somewhat arbitrary point on the tops. And then bar reach it self is considerably variable. So even if your barstem seems to match your current stem length, how long is the reach on the bar section compared to your current bar? Maybe you actually need a different stem length to end up with the right hood reach. (Assuming the same hood, those vary, too.)
5. Hood angle. Since you can't change bar angle, the only way to have a different hood angle is to rotate the hoods higher on the bar. While many barstems keep an even curve to allow for this, raising or lowering the hoods will dramatically change both lever reach from the drops and reach.

So I would not buy a barstem sight-unseen unless you can return it after mounting.
^ All valid points. High cost, inability to "try before you buy", lack of adjustability, and the added difficulties of installation and maintenance, can be off-putting.
Old 01-03-24, 12:22 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Integrated Bar-Stem Designs... Love, Hate, or Somewhere in Between?
I'm not an "integrated" sort, myself. More an Avoid than hate/love.

Much prefer the ability to adjust via stem and/or bar alterations, as the fit requires.
Old 01-04-24, 01:08 PM
Turnin_Wrenches

Based on the response so far, it seems that integrated bar-stems are "less preferred" to put it politely. Yet the bicycle industry is designing many of their high end road bikes with these "devices" . And we are buying them (myself included) .

In my particular case, I chose the bike I wanted... and it happened to come with an integrated bar-stem. It's working out well, so I'm keeping the setup as-is. However, if it didn't work out well I would have been out of pocket for the original purchase plus whatever the replacement solution would have cost. I don't see how this is an advantage for the customer.