Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Searching for flat cause

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Searching for flat cause

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 07:43 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Searching for flat cause

I had a flat out on my trail bike while riding a local packed-limestone rail-trail yesterday. I always try to determine the location and cause of a flat, so I inflated the tube after removing it, quickly found the leak (about a 1/16" slit), and matched the position against the tire circumference.

Try as I could, I could not find any evidence on the outside or inside of the tire to indicate something piercing it. In the past, I've usually been able to find a matching small puncture in the tire, but this time nothing that I could find.

This was on dusty packed limestone and this area does not have any chronic tire-puncturing hazards, so I'm at a loss to determine a cause. My only concern is that I've only had these tires on for a couple of weeks and I'm already nervous that I bought some flat-prone models (Kenda Kross Plus 26x1.95)...
Old 09-02-11, 08:45 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Could you have pinch-flatted?
Old 09-02-11, 09:10 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I wouldn't worry. You'll know before too long if you missed something still in the tire that caused the flat. I sure wouldn't fret over the tires possibly being flat prone. Time will tell if they are.
Old 09-02-11, 09:30 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Thanks for the quick responses.

Originally Posted by woodway
Could you have pinch-flatted?
I doubt it, mainly because I aired it up just before the ride (60psi). OTOH, I do remember hitting a hole or something in the trail shortly before the flat that really gave me a jolt. So I guess it's possible, but there was no snake-bite evidence.

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I wouldn't worry. You'll know before too long if you missed something still in the tire that caused the flat. I sure wouldn't fret over the tires possibly being flat prone. Time will tell if they are.
I'm sure there's nothing still in the tire and just hope that nothing gets in there in the future!
Old 09-02-11, 09:36 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
DougG, I carry a couple of cotton balls to help find debris in the tire. Rub it along the inner surface and it'll snag if anything is still in the tire. It's not too confidence inspiring when I don't find anything and still have X miles to go.

Brad
Old 09-02-11, 09:53 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Thanks for the tip, Brad. I wasn't as much concerned about something still being there in this case as being curious about not finding any evidence at all of a puncture in the tire itself. But soft rubber is somewhat self-sealing so that a small pin-prick might be even more difficult to find than I expected.
Old 09-02-11, 10:40 AM
Recycle

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes those things are hard to find, even with the cotton balls. I once 5 flats in 10 days ... all at the rim same location ... Even had two other people looking to find the cause. We finally found a tiny piece of glass imbedded in the rubber such that it was normally completely retracted into the tire. After the 5th flat, it finally worked it's way far enough thru the tire so we could see it and dig it out. Apparently, the only time it poked thru to damage the tube was when I hit a bump.

Another thought is to check the rim tape. Can a spoke be poking thru, or is the tape seated improperly?

Last edited by Recycle; 09-02-11 at 10:42 AM. Reason: cleared up some bad English
Old 09-02-11, 10:43 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Pinch flats are toward the rim side of the tube, not the rubber tire side. Where was yours? A slit does sound like a pinch flat.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-02-11 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 10:48 AM
PatW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycle
Sometimes those things are hard to find, even with the cotton balls. I once 5 flats in 10 days ... all at the rim same location ... Even had two other people looking to find the cause. We finally found a tiny piece of glass imbedded in the rubber such that it was normally completely retracted into the tire. After the 5th flat, it finally worked it's way far enough thru the tire so we could see it and dig it out. Apparently, the only time it poked thru to damage the tube was when I hit a bump.

Another thought is to check the rim tape. Can a spoke be poking thru, or is the tape seated improperly?
I have had that one happen too. It was a sliver of glass. When the tire was inflated, the pressure caused the sliver to poke out just a little bit and slowly work a hole in the tube. But when there was no pressure, it withdrew into the almost invisible little slit in the tire. I did find it by examining the spot after reinflating the tire. It took some digging getting it out of the tire.
Old 09-02-11, 02:32 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Definitely bought the wrong tubes- Never use anything other than a top end- Schwalbe- or Michelin or Latex.

So why did the OCR I just sold have its first puncture in the rear tyre last week when I bought it in 2006? Repaired the tube and couldn't help noticing it was a "No Name" chinese thing that was very thin.

I get worried If I can't find the cause of the puncture and remove the tyre- Turn it inside out and use a cloth to find any flints or thorns. Surprising how many you find that haven't yet caused a problem.

And a tip I learnt for Puncture location. Put the name of the tyre next to the Valve when you fit it. Then once the hole in the tube is found- you have an indicator as to where to look on the Tyre for the flint/glass/thorn.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-06-11, 11:02 PM
roadiespinner

Bikes: Della Santa, Bike Friday Air Glide, 1974 Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale t2000 Touring, Cannondale r500 Road Silk, LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7000 mtn bike, Sears and Roebuck[ made by Puch. I have had up to 36 bikes at one time. I am a sick person.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check the rim strip. Some of the plastic ones get cracks in them then "pinch" the tube, when they flex.
Old 09-07-11, 07:32 AM
bigbadwullf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it holds air, who cares? Might be the valve. I have valves go bad more often than a hole in the tube.
Old 09-07-11, 12:55 PM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Could be a bad tube. Maybe the item fell out when you took out the tube or maybe it went inside the tube. I'm supposing if it slid down in the tire you would have found it by holding the wheel upright and seeing if anything was loose inside the tire.
Old 09-07-11, 04:23 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DougG
I had a flat out on my trail bike while riding a local packed-limestone rail-trail yesterday. I always try to determine the location and cause of a flat, so I inflated the tube after removing it, quickly found the leak (about a 1/16" slit), and matched the position against the tire circumference.

Try as I could, I could not find any evidence on the outside or inside of the tire to indicate something piercing it. In the past, I've usually been able to find a matching small puncture in the tire, but this time nothing that I could find.

This was on dusty packed limestone and this area does not have any chronic tire-puncturing hazards, so I'm at a loss to determine a cause. My only concern is that I've only had these tires on for a couple of weeks and I'm already nervous that I bought some flat-prone models (Kenda Kross Plus 26x1.95)...

Raid the misses makeup cabinet and get a cotton ball, drag the cotton ball along the inside of the tire, all the way around, if there is anything poking through, the cotton will catch on it. Depending on what pierced the tire it could have been a small item that went all the way through the tire, or it could have been something that went through and back out. I've seen flats before where there was no evidence in the tire, sometimes the cut in the rubber will self heal to some degree. If there is nothing poking through, then don't worry about it....
Old 09-07-11, 06:37 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Turn tire casing inside out, this usually forces imbedded object to protrude from inner surface. Use your finger, or cotton ball then.