Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

ANOTHER Flat Tire

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

ANOTHER Flat Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-12, 01:31 AM
ModelTFan01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ANOTHER Flat Tire

It's been about a month since I got yet another flat tire. It didn't go as violent as the last tube (it blewout, as from my last topic.) However, this tube only laster two days, and the bike wasn't even ridden 10 miles in those 2 days.

The tire was inflated to about 60lbs, front tire to 50lbs. The front tire, which is still hanging around 50 lbs, is holding air perfect. However, the rear leaks all it's air over night.

I have a couple questions. Can I replace the tube myself? Can I replace the tire myself? How much will this cost me? What will I need to inflate it to?

Trying not to have another flat. Gosh, with the original tire from 1981 this bike hardly experienced flats. When I bought the bike, it had original inner tubes from 1981, but they were replaced in a couple weeks of owning the bike because the front one just got punctured from a rock, probably a pinch flat.

I'm getting angry at the bike man. I'd like to do it myself, save me a few bucks. Gotta learn someway. Where can I buy the tubes and tires?
Old 06-18-12, 04:24 AM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Since you have internet access under your bridge, google bike store and the name of your town.
Old 06-18-12, 04:29 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
How many threads about flat tyres are you going to start before you simply learn to fix them yourself?
Old 06-18-12, 04:34 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
You can patch tubes instead of buying new ones, especially if it's a small hole.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-18-12, 05:29 AM
Capecodder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ModelTFan01
It's been about a month since I got yet another flat tire. It didn't go as violent as the last tube (it blewout, as from my last topic.) However, this tube only laster two days, and the bike wasn't even ridden 10 miles in those 2 days.

The tire was inflated to about 60lbs, front tire to 50lbs. The front tire, which is still hanging around 50 lbs, is holding air perfect. However, the rear leaks all it's air over night.

I have a couple questions. Can I replace the tube myself? Can I replace the tire myself? How much will this cost me? What will I need to inflate it to?
Well, if you need to ask these questions....... You most likely not capable of doing the job yourself.
Old 06-18-12, 07:40 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ModelTFan01
I think you're in the wrong forum. Try the mountain biking forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ountain-Biking
Old 06-18-12, 07:43 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
I think you're in the wrong forum. Try the mountain biking forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...ountain-Biking
He's got an old 1980 Sears road bike. The rims are probably not hook bead, so they can not take high pressure.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-18-12, 08:29 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Since you have internet access under your bridge, google bike store and the name of your town.
Yeah, I'm torn about whether this one is a troll or not. I know people in real life who act exactly like this when it comes to dealing with wheels and flats. You can spend all day trying to pound information into their heads, and they'll come back the next acting as if they haven't listened to a thing you've said.
Old 06-18-12, 08:39 AM
VeeDubOne

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Capecodder
Well, if you need to ask these questions....... You most likely not capable of doing the job yourself.
Or type 'road bike tire repair' in youtube and you can spend the rest of the afternoon learning this and other life skills, like teaching you how to fish and what not...
Old 06-18-12, 08:48 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
JSChristian?!? Is that you?!?
Old 06-18-12, 12:45 PM
Joe360

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir. Masi Nuvo Strada

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This has to be fake right? If you go to the ¨bike man¨ to replace your flats would´nt you expect that he has tubes and tires? Who know he may even sell you a couple.
Old 06-18-12, 01:42 PM
HokuLoa
Blissketeer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mavic Askiums come with tire and tube installed. I just replace my hoops with a new set when they flat. A little pricey but well worth it.
Old 06-18-12, 01:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
Yeah, I'm torn about whether this one is a troll or not. I know people in real life who act exactly like this when it comes to dealing with wheels and flats. You can spend all day trying to pound information into their heads, and they'll come back the next acting as if they haven't listened to a thing you've said.
People can only take information in so quickly. Then their eyes glaze over and it's just a bunch of words. Nouns are especially difficult.
Old 06-18-12, 02:36 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by HokuLoa
Mavic Askiums come with tire and tube installed. I just replace my hoops with a new set when they flat. A little pricey but well worth it.
Similar apporach takes all the hassle out of tubulars. Just buy a new set of Zipps with the tires already glued if you get a flat.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.