Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How much difference between knobbly CX tire & road tire of same size?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

How much difference between knobbly CX tire & road tire of same size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 11:08 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Wow, glad to hear it. I had heard about them from @nlerner, I think. He called them "fast clouds."

I got the 35mm size which ended up being 37mm, and I can't fit them in my Raleigh. I should get another pair.
Yeah I got the 38mm, which is actually 40mm with their goofy sizing. Made me realize I didn't redish my wheel well enough at the end of fall before I hung this bike up. Tire is awfully close to the left chainstay haha. It does fit though...even with fenders. Barely.
Old 03-24-17, 02:38 PM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had 700x35 Voyager Hyper tires on a previous bike and the combination of lower weight and very good rolling resistance was impressive. I didn't think that they gave up much to my 700x25 GP4000S's in the efficiency department and they were quite a bit more comfortable.
Old 03-24-17, 02:48 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I had 700x35 Voyager Hyper tires on a previous bike and the combination of lower weight and very good rolling resistance was impressive. I didn't think that they gave up much to my 700x25 GP4000S's in the efficiency department and they were quite a bit more comfortable.
Yeah. I would do the 28's if I ever do go that route..apparently their 28mm are abnormally large. It's why I was comparing agianst the Hypers which were one of the few good large fast tires I could find.
Old 03-27-17, 03:31 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I dunno. I used to think a few watts makes zero difference...but I've sort of changed my tune - a bit. I started looking around for new tires at the end of last year. It became a bit of an obsession...I researched every single pavement tire on bikerollingresistance.com...and ended up switching from basically the slowest touring tire (Vittoria Randonneur) to the 2nd or 3rd fastest touring tire (Vittoria Voyager Hyper). It was a difference of 10 watts or so.

It's definitely noticeable. Not mind blowingly faster of course...I had on a no tread tire previously, it wasn't like I went from a 3 inch off road knobby to a racing tire. But I definitely felt it. Or...placebo effect from spending so much time picking out a tire? Who knows lol.
I agree with ya. I have a set of those Victoria Randonneurs. A bit stiff, slow, heavy. Came on a bike I bought, and I quickly took them off. They have *twice* the rolling resistance of the conti’s above. That is something I can feel.

Maybe it’s just me who can’t tell a difference in a couple watts (when I'm not racing). LOL. At 80 psi, the 4000s takes 13.7 watts. The 4 season 19.8 watts.

When I’m on the 4000s’ I put out the same power as when I am on the 4 seasons. So, the only difference I can “feel” is a slight decrease in speed. But I don’t measure it that precisely. I’m putting out roughly 250 watts either way, and it makes zero measureable difference in my commute time

Like Paul H said – when I take my deep lugged studded tires off, I go a LOT faster. But between the two continental tires, nothing I can measure in non competitive conditions.

What I do notice about tires, like the 4 season and the 4000 is:
• Volume (4000s is larger than named, the 4 season smaller).
• Suppleness (both these are pretty supple)
• Weight – how easy they accelerate and climb
• Puncture resistance (very different again here).
• Rolling resistance or cruising speed – not so much here.
Old 03-29-17, 05:36 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I agree with ya. I have a set of those Victoria Randonneurs. A bit stiff, slow, heavy. Came on a bike I bought, and I quickly took them off. They have *twice* the rolling resistance of the conti’s above. That is something I can feel.
FWIW there are also Randonneur Pros from Vittoria with 120tpi (vs. 30tpi of the non-pros). I've been happy with these. Actually, I noticed these are on closeout at Chain Reaction if anyone's interested at less than half price.
Old 03-29-17, 08:42 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,478 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
FWIW there are also Randonneur Pros from Vittoria with 120tpi (vs. 30tpi of the non-pros). I've been happy with these. Actually, I noticed these are on closeout at Chain Reaction if anyone's interested at less than half price.
They are now called the Voyager Pro, I guess to reduce confusion with the Randonneurs.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.