Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rails to Trails meeting

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Rails to Trails meeting

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-24, 04:17 PM
bikejeff

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rails to Trails meeting

I have the opportunity to informally meet with a rails to trails representative tomorrow. What questions would be interesting to ask.

Out in the southwest there are fewer unused rights of way that are potential candidates for that type of project but I have one in mind and am tempted to ride it. Its about 70 miles and according to Google satellite views the rails were removed from that corridor some time ago.

Last edited by bikejeff; 02-15-24 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Update
Old 02-14-24, 07:04 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,087 Times in 1,182 Posts
Ask what authority owns and maintains ?. Does the trail need infrastructure improvements, such as will it be paved ?, gravel ?. Is there any design plans to eliminate motorized vehicles ?, Some trails I’ve seen allow ATV’s. Is that desirable or planned ?.
Old 02-14-24, 07:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Ask who owns the property, although the rep might not know. So maybe ask how you can determine ownership. Since the rails were removed, it was almost certainly formally abandoned (a regulatory process). The abandoning railroad could still own it. Some (or all) of it could have reverted to abutting land owners depending on quality of title and state law. Some (or all) of it could have been sold. Contacting the railroad might be the first best step. Better than trying to do a title search, especially if the corridor is located in multiple counties.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-14-24 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-15-24, 08:57 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd start by asking if RtT has the ROW you're interested in on their radar already. If they do, ask what you can do to help (and how much time it's likely to take). Do they know what the timeframe is if the railroad hasn't transfered ownership back to the local landowners yet? If not, are you willing to volunteer to find out the answers to all the ownership questions raised above? How much is RtT willing to support a rails-trails conversion, and how much local (volunteer) support will be needed?
Old 02-15-24, 11:04 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Bridges. Missing/damaged bridges are a MAJOR expense and can make or break the project's feasibility. Even rehabilitating bridges for pedestrian/cycle/equestrian use is pricy.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-15-24, 11:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,579 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Bridges. Missing/damaged bridges are a MAJOR expense and can make or break the project's feasibility. Even rehabilitating bridges for pedestrian/cycle/equestrian use is pricy.
Yep. One reason why I think the Great American Rail Trail isn’t feasible in at least one area. West of Missoula it is supposed to utilize a stretch of a former line that has several bridges missing. At least one of them is over the Clark Fork River, which isn’t exactly narrow. The relative cost to replace them would be very high, in part because you would probably want them to be able to handle emergency vehicles.

Last edited by indyfabz; 02-15-24 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-15-24, 01:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
A truck hit a bridge that was used for a bike trail in Wisc. That bridge went over the road. The bridge was closed and traffic was also blocked at that bridge location, which made people that normally drove on that road pretty unhappy. Eventually one of them decided to get rid of the bridge.
https://www.wkow.com/news/video-show...ccf1c9ca7.html

There was not a river there, so the bike trail could be re-routed without the bridge. I do not know if there are plans to replace the bridge or not, I suspect not.