Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tire Pressure to Low?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 08:11 PM
atp0726

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro / Fuji Altamira CX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Curious to see what others have experienced in their tubeless set ups for pressure. I have Stans Grail rims set up tubeless with WTB Cross Boss tires and have been racing with TP in the mid to low 20s. I weigh 165 and even at these pressures I feel like I could go lower before bottoming out. I raced back to back days this weekend at 24F and 26R on Saturday and the cornering was great in fairly dry conditions. Sunday there was a good frost on the ground and when my race went off it warmed up enough for the icy grass to melt and thing got pretty slick. I dropped to 23F and 24.5-25R and started to have trouble around corners with traction (on the now wet grass). I dropped the pressure thinking it would help with the cornering but I still had a good deal of sliding and loss of traction. Could this be due to running to low of pressure with tubeless setup and the tire rolling over on itself or was the tire tread profile wrong for the conditions, both?
Old 10-19-15, 08:39 PM
Spindatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire pressure was probably perfect. However that tire tread looks to be a little better for drier grass conditions with those small side lugs. I'd expect them to slide around a good bit in mucky conditions.

I wish my tubeless set up let me run lower that 32 but burping was terrible and I tore the tire up this past weekend. Wasn't pumped.
Old 10-20-15, 07:37 AM
atp0726

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL4 Pro / Fuji Altamira CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spindatt
Tire pressure was probably perfect. However that tire tread looks to be a little better for drier grass conditions with those small side lugs. I'd expect them to slide around a good bit in mucky conditions.

I wish my tubeless set up let me run lower that 32 but burping was terrible and I tore the tire up this past weekend. Wasn't pumped.
Hopefully, that is the case that the tread was not suited for the melted frost conditions. I have read reviews about tubeless feeling squirmy and rolling over in hard cornering at to low of pressure. I dont know what that "rolling over" sensation feels like so not sure if I have experienced it or not.

Are you running tubeless rims and tires? I have yet to burp a tire and have played around with pressure down to the low 20s and purposely tried to get them to burp.
Old 10-20-15, 01:58 PM
Spindatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You'll know the feeling if you ever experience it. My cross country bikes tire folded/burped under me while hopping from grass to asphalt and I ended up with a fractured elbow. I was running too low of pressure for that situation though.

My set up was purely ghetto and somewhat unreliable but I did love it. Just stans tape and sealant. I tried to build up the rim centre with electrical tape and it helped significantly but still not like what tubeless specific set ups are like.