Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Replacing QR Surly Disc Trucker frame

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 12:29 PM
bikedoggy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently had an unfortunate fender bender. My 2018 58cm Disc Trucker came out with a bend in the fork, top and bottom tube, and the bike shop recommended trashing the frame (fortunately I was fine).

I'm now thinking about replacements. Most of my components are ok besides the frame and fork.

I ride primarily for commuting, grocery and transportation but also would like to do more overnight tours.

I first thought about buying the DT frame on sale now and moving parts over. However the Disc Trucker moved to thru-axle and flat mount brakes and I would have to get new wheels.

I haven't been able to track down an old QR style Disc Trucker frame. Are there other framesets I should be looking at?

I also have looked at the Fuji Disc Touring ($1499) at my local shop. Most of my current parts would be compatible so I would have plenty of spare parts.

I looked at the whole new Disc Trucker, which is on sale at the same price ($1499) but besides the color, I don't love the brifters, loss of a gear and major downgrade in drivetrain to Alivio.

My last thought was buying the new Surly frame, and rebuilding my wheels with thru-axle hubs either myself, or by a local shop. I'd move parts the rest of the parts over myself. I'm not sure that would make sense pricewise.
Old 07-15-23, 05:46 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
You could start watching Craigs List, garage sales, if you are lucky an organization in your community might occasionally host a swap meet.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 07-17-23, 12:09 AM
CMAW 
Pining for the fjords

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 150 Posts
Take a look at Surly's Bridge Club, a frame with classic vertical rear dropouts. BC frame is longer than the DT (more reach) however, to replicate your current set-up you'd need a shorter stem and probably a compact drop bar.
Old 07-17-23, 04:36 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by CMAW
Take a look at Surly's Bridge Club, a frame with classic vertical rear dropouts. BC frame is longer than the DT (more reach) however, to replicate your current set-up you'd need a shorter stem and probably a compact drop bar.
Sometimes a slightly smaller frame size can get you the shorter top tube without any other problems.
Old 07-21-23, 07:44 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by bikedoggy
...I haven't been able to track down an old QR style Disc Trucker frame. Are there other framesets I should be looking at?
posted 3 days ago..easy ship. Have the guy drop it off at a bike shop, they can pack and ship
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...644635095.html

Or..there's a facilitators thread that may be of help
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ling-able.html
Old 07-27-23, 07:41 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
If you go the Fuji Touring route, you should be able to get it for significantly less than retail. I bought one when my Trucker was stolen, paid $1200 OTD, and that was during the pandemic! Gotta say I love the disc brakes!
Old 07-27-23, 02:47 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
posted 3 days ago..easy ship. Have the guy drop it off at a bike shop, they can pack and ship
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...644635095.html
Nice find, except for the headset. Bling is not always bling.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 07-27-23, 10:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,000 Times in 2,669 Posts
Not saying this is a cheap option or anything it isn't but I love my Cascadia:
https://co-motion.com/collections/single-bikes

They are built in the U.S. in Eugene, Oregon and really nice quality bikes and I bought mine as a frame to replace my old Disc Trucker and my only wish is that I had ordered it more recently to account for some minor changes in how I ride and what I really ended up wanting VS what I got 10 years ago when I think I was in a whole different headspace on what I thought I wanted.
Old 08-02-23, 01:40 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1873 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by bikedoggy
I recently had an unfortunate fender bender. My 2018 58cm Disc Trucker came out with a bend in the fork, top and bottom tube, and the bike shop recommended trashing the frame (fortunately I was fine).

I'm now thinking about replacements. Most of my components are ok besides the frame and fork.

I ride primarily for commuting, grocery and transportation but also would like to do more overnight tours.

I first thought about buying the DT frame on sale now and moving parts over. However the Disc Trucker moved to thru-axle and flat mount brakes and I would have to get new wheels.

I haven't been able to track down an old QR style Disc Trucker frame. Are there other framesets I should be looking at?

I also have looked at the Fuji Disc Touring ($1499) at my local shop. Most of my current parts would be compatible so I would have plenty of spare parts.

I looked at the whole new Disc Trucker, which is on sale at the same price ($1499) but besides the color, I don't love the brifters, loss of a gear and major downgrade in drivetrain to Alivio.

My last thought was buying the new Surly frame, and rebuilding my wheels with thru-axle hubs either myself, or by a local shop. I'd move parts the rest of the parts over myself. I'm not sure that would make sense pricewise.
How about a Soma?
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/som...y=839#attr=939
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/230...ack-5884#attr=
Old 08-06-23, 01:51 AM
abdon 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 471 Times in 249 Posts
You could probably pick just about any frame to tie you over and then look at leisure for the frame of your dreams. The "right now" factor can add a lot to the cost.
Old 08-22-23, 11:13 AM
hgf

Bikes: 2007 Surly Long Haul Trucker in Olive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a like new, 58 cm, 2013 Disc Trucker that I purchased new in 2016 and have ridden for less than 1,000 miles. I returned it to stock and had it professionally serviced ($75) in 2022 and it's ready to ride or to be customized. I'm not sure where you're located, but contact me directly if you're interested and would like more pictures.

Last edited by hgf; 08-22-23 at 11:17 AM.