Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Newbie question about trails.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-11, 03:28 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts

How long do they usually take to dry out after a lot of rain? It's supposed to rain for a few days, one sunny day, then rain for a few more days, then two sunny days. All in the 50s. Do you think they'd be dry enough to ride by the last day in that forecast since there will be two days of sunny, or will they probably still be too wet since there's so much rain right before?

I'm in the mid-west if that matters at all. Trail soil is generally brown and not terribly sandy.
Old 04-13-11, 03:52 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
1.3789 days.

But seriously...it completely depends on humidity, total moisture over a given history which will affect soil absorption, shady areas vs. sunny areas, ambient temperature and I'm sure a host of other fabulous factors. So the answer is, I dunno...go there and see. If it's too muddy, go get coffee.
Old 04-13-11, 04:10 PM
3speed

^ Haha, fair enough. I work at a coffee shop, though...
Old 04-13-11, 08:25 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
I worked in a coffee shop part time while I was in college...I was amp'd 25 hours a day!! Made the 12 mile bike commute each way more fun though.
Old 04-14-11, 04:16 AM
jboyd

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sometimes you just have to ride. This was taken last Saturday in Southern IL.

I an actually pointing at the mud on my back, but you have to admit that is a great shirt
Old 04-14-11, 07:07 AM
NCMTBIKER
Double Rainbow....

Bikes: 2012 Trek/Gary Fisher Wahoo 29r Hardtail

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also think it's according to how the trail was built,some the rain runs off well and dries out quick..some dont
Old 04-14-11, 09:17 AM
3speed

Originally Posted by jboyd
Sometimes you just have to ride. This was taken last Saturday in Southern IL.
I've read lots of things that say it just isn't good for the trails, so I avoid riding when it's wet enough that it leaves ruts or anyhing. Not to say I haven't gone out in the mud for fun, but in general I stick to muddy urban crap if I want to play in mud and try to stay off of the trails.
Old 04-14-11, 11:11 AM
Freakin'Chickin

Bikes: 97 Rocky Mountain Whistler commuter/tourer - 04 Devinci Phantom hardtail - 89 Italo-Japanese road bike - 2010 Pivot Mach 429 29er - Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+ 1 on that one, if the trails are still wet and muddy, better refrain and take the opportunity to ride some gravelroads and fireroads, or hills. Aroud Qc city, we have our little sweetspots of singletracks, but they are already seeing lots of use, so to ride there when trails are muddy, not only you'll get frowned upon by the trail diggers, but you are creating more and more damage. That doesn't mean you can't have fun in the mud, though! I prefer to stick to some ATV trails, or below the powerlines than to the fragile singletracks.

Oh, and it can get pretty awfully muddy and slippery with all the silt and clay around here!
Old 04-14-11, 12:13 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
What do you midwesterners do about the mosquitoes all summer long? Dang, muddy trails, bugs the size of small planes, how do you do it?

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 04-14-11, 01:13 PM
Freakin'Chickin

Bikes: 97 Rocky Mountain Whistler commuter/tourer - 04 Devinci Phantom hardtail - 89 Italo-Japanese road bike - 2010 Pivot Mach 429 29er - Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fatbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
... You pray for not having any mechanical problems that'll make you stop and get eaten alive

Honestly, the last year we have been blessed with a dry summer (in Lake St-Jean region), so there has not been a lot of those huge barn flies or mosquito squadrons around. But usually, as long as you move, I find that black flies/mosquitos/etc doesn't bother me. On the occasional hike up, it sucks to be bitten. If it is awful, I sometimes spray some citronella on my clothes, not on me 'cause sweat will get it in your eyes. When I'm working in the forest, it's another game, but usually, IMHO, the wind you generate with speed (10kph is fine enough, the faster the better though) is enough not to be bothered.
Old 04-14-11, 01:13 PM
jboyd

Bikes: Giant "Rainier"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
What do you midwesterners do about the mosquitoes all summer long? Dang, muddy trails, bugs the size of small planes, how do you do it?
the skeeters are usually not a problem for me. Must be my BAC

The poison Ivy and the Copperheads are another issue That being said, I try to take at least a couple of western NC trips a year to see how the other half lives