Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

i finally stopped procrastinating...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-15, 10:39 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts

and joined a gym that has a spin class.

With temps in the 20s and wind chill near zero I wasn't going to be riding outside anytime soon. I hate, hate, hate riding on a trainer so I went down to the local gym/fitness center and checked them out. They have 2 spin classes almost every day so i'm sure i'll be able to find time 3 times a week.

The class was pretty intense with a lot of up/ down, more than i'm used to. Also a lot of time at a very high cadence. So I did what I could and still drank 40oz of water over a one hour class.

My biggest issue was the addle, it's a real ass hatchet and i'm gonna have to try moving it to see if there's a sweet spot.

$50/per month and it's month to month so i can stop at any time.
Old 01-10-15, 11:05 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I've just cancelled my gym membership after not using it for a year. Ironically, I was planning to start some spin classes soon but a leg injury this week means there's no chance of strenuous riding for a few months so I've decided to cut my losses.

I used to be a keen gym user but nowadays, other than spin classes, I find them completely soulless.
Old 01-10-15, 11:25 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I used to be a keen gym user but nowadays, other than spin classes, I find them completely soulless.
I'm not into the "gym" thing and only plan on going for Spin. But i might use the treadmill for some cool down and cross training.

The machine and weight lifting just doesn't appeal to me.

When told I should get in shape, I tell them "round" is a shape.
Old 01-10-15, 12:13 PM
Floyd
el padre

Bikes: Rans Stratus, ICE TRike, other assorted

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
procrastination is my middle name, as they say ... I too am not a gym person, like to do exercise 'naturally' and not with a machine, I do have a brand x exercise bike in my bedroom that serves as a clothes rack, although I did use it the other day and need to quit the procrastinating and get on it again
Old 01-10-15, 12:31 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Love that "finally" inserted in the thread title.
Old 01-10-15, 01:41 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Floyd
ike to do exercise 'naturally' and not with a machine,
Bicycles are machines
Old 01-10-15, 02:49 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18380 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Perhaps I should sign up.
My nearest gym is about a 10 mile bike ride (20 mile RT) away.
Surely I'll get some exercise

Old 01-10-15, 06:27 PM
SlowSpinner
Yes it is a paradox

Bikes: Trek, Orbea,Specilized

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think I will wait a little longer before I stop procrastinating.
Old 01-10-15, 07:06 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3891 Post(s)
Liked 1,940 Times in 1,385 Posts
My wife and I have had gym memberships since 1979. We don't make it in every week during the high summer, but two to three times a week the rest of the year. If you haven't figured out yet that you lose muscle mass if you don't work at retaining it, you will soon. Loss of muscle and bone mass is a big factor in losing mobility.

Spin bike saddles aren't that great, but since one doesn't sit on them for very long at a time, it's no biggie. Good shorts help. Actually, we've kind of given up up spin classes. Spin bikes are fixies with heavy flywheels, so they don't simulate a normal pedal stroke, especially standing and at high cadence. I can easily hit 150 cadence on a spin bike, but not so easy at all on my rollers. So mostly we ride rollers or trainer at home, then go to the gym for weights, or else go to the gym for cross training, usually the StepMill (Stairway to Hell). Leg extension strength is a good thing.
Old 01-10-15, 07:49 PM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I have a trainer, rollers, and a NordicTrak (old ski machine). At various times I have used all of them regularly. These days, I find them too boring. I run when I can't ride. Today it was 4 degrees when I got up, still went for my run. I find it easier to run outside for an hour, almost regardless of the weather, than to do 45 minutes on any of the apparatus.
Old 01-11-15, 05:18 AM
scrming

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlowSpinner
I think I will wait a little longer before I stop procrastinating.
Why put off until tomorrow... what you can put off until the DAY AFTER tomorrow!

I find Spin classes, with the RIGHT instructor, to be a great winter tool... unfortunately my favorite fitness place closed it's doors in December So now i'm doing indoor spinning at home... ugh..
Old 01-12-15, 12:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
well done Sir!

no hot water at my gym today, so no lunchtime session, but I'll go after work when I don't shower before home
Old 01-12-15, 08:00 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2

My biggest issue was the saddle, it's a real ass hatchet .

Sorry, I've never heard that one before and I'm going to have to borrow that line.

Congrats on joining a gym! I did that last summer just to get through the months that will melt you into a puddle of goo, and I'm still going 2-3 times a week.
Old 01-12-15, 08:22 PM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
Use the trainer. Get a good one. Get a rock-n-roll. Buy some Spinervals videos. Clip in and put on your gloves. Watch a video or movie with your bike computer set for intervals.

IMHO much better than a spin class, which isn't really riding a bicycle, but simply imitates some of the motions.
Old 01-12-15, 08:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Just got back from a class. After I went on the treadmill and did 2 miles. Almost fell off 2 twice watching the young lady in front of me on some climbing machine. They should outlaw those tight yoga pants.
Old 01-12-15, 08:50 PM
Phloom

Bikes: Too many to list here

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never got into the gym scene. I don't want to look like a hamster on an exercise wheel.
Old 01-12-15, 09:21 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Phloom
Never got into the gym scene. I don't want to look like a hamster on an exercise wheel.
Same, just too cold to be outdoors.

It's only for 3 months. As soon at temps are in the upper 40's, i'm outside.
Old 01-12-15, 10:29 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Find a gym that has recumbent style trainers like I did. They dont do spin classes on these bent exercise bikes, but I am maintaining my bent legs over the winter.
Old 01-13-15, 08:41 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I never joined a gym when I lived in the Middle Midwest because I was too cheap . Now that I live in SoCal, I ride outside all year long.

Having said that, I never cease to be amazed at how well the gyms are doing out here. 24 Hour Fitness, LA Fitness, etc. all seemed to have
their parking lots filled with cars, pretty much any time of the day.

Maybe if those folks rode bikes outside they wouldn't go to the gym so much? Guess I'll never know because I'm still too cheap!

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-13-15, 04:30 PM
North Coast Joe

Bikes: Couple of rigid MTB's and a fixed gear

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
.... because I'm still too cheap!
Rick / OCRR
I am, too.... AND, I'm wondering what happens at a spin class (since I've never been to, or seen one).

I did buy a basic trainer to which I affixed one of my bikes this Winter. I try to ride that thing daily for about two hours. I vary cadence frequently, and stand and spin for one or two songs worth every 1/2 hour or so(classic rock in the earbuds encouraging me to keep a high tempo).

What goes on in spin classes at a gym that I'm missing out on? That is ...OTHER than those tight yoga pants
Old 01-13-15, 04:42 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by North Coast Joe
I am, too.... AND, I'm wondering what happens at a spin class (since I've never been to, or seen one).
What goes on in spin classes at a gym that I'm missing out on? That is ...OTHER than those tight yoga pants
I have been to two spin classes and the sweat is the same but the music is lounder and hip hoppier (is that a word?) than I like, the instructors were kind of rude and then there's the saddle issue mentioned above. Both classes were "Free Trial" which, of course, was right up my "too cheap" alley!

I will not be back . . . well, unless I'm really bored and get another "Free Trial."

Rick / OCRR
Old 01-13-15, 05:02 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
I used to spin occasionally. But the health club fee was $85 a month, and I just wasn't using it that often.

My take:

1. It depends on the instructor. Some make it enjoyable, fun, and challenging. Some, not so much.

2. My club was somewhat of an upscale club, but even so, some of the equipment wasn't maintained well. Almost all the pedals needed new bearings.

3. If you want to learn to spin at higher RPMs, you'll get plenty of practice. Spinning high RPMs while standing up is challenging, but I thought it was nonsense. It's tough on the knees, and I never do that when riding the real thing.

4. If I lived where I couldn't ride this time of year, I'd probably be spinning right now.

Old 01-13-15, 05:36 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love to spin, have done it since forever (before it got popular)... 1) get a decent pair of cycling shorts, exactly what you will wear on your own bike. I personally find spin bike saddles too wide and soft compared to my bike saddle so uncomfotable. 2) as you mentioned, you will be off and on the saddle throughout the class, so your bum will get relief. As to all that up and down, fast cadence etc., if you plan only to do spin classes, follow the instructor... I am a cyclist so I don't engage in all that fast pedal up and down as I will never ever do that on my bike... I will get off the saddle and have literally done the whole class that way (so my bum is happy) pushing a good gear so I get a workout beneficial to my cycling. Most people can only ride out of the saddle for a short time so they marvel at the fact I can do that for an hour or two.

You don't have to do what everyone in the class does... you can use the music and direction to benefit your workout. Glad you are enjoying the scenary in the gym... hope someone like me doesn't get in the way and block the good views!

Also: my local gym allows riders in the spin room when class is dark... that way I bring in my own music and I can do my own thing for 1 - 2 hours and not have to listen to a 20 something instructor screaming the whole time over techno-beat music in a hot sweaty room... I hate that techno-beat music!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-15-15, 09:25 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

So today i did a class that's a combination of spin and "boot camp". 15 minutes of spin, 15 minutes of small weights, 15 minutes of spin and 15 minutes of balance and stretching.

My entire body hurts.

BTW... I got on the scale when I signed up last Saturday and it was 219.5. Today it was 212.3.
Old 01-16-15, 04:34 AM
scrming

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldnslow2
So today i did a class that's a combination of spin and "boot camp". 15 minutes of spin, 15 minutes of small weights, 15 minutes of spin and 15 minutes of balance and stretching.

My entire body hurts.

BTW... I got on the scale when I signed up last Saturday and it was 219.5. Today it was 212.3.
I've tried a couple of the combo spin classes... oh my... was not pretty at all! Eventually i'll stop procrastinating and work on my core... LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.