Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Gravel bike thingy ....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-14, 08:12 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

So I love the idea of a do anything road bike and I am dabbling with the size of my tires for my all arounder but I went to check out a Salsa and a All city bike with gravle grinder specs and I was kinda let down. Do we need 35" or bigger tires? or what ever they were...the tires were HUGE bike looked crazy at what point is it a joke. One had cantis the other disc brakes the frames were very nice but Tires just too dam large not sure the bike would in any way be road worthy or fun....One version had deep V 26' wheels with panniers I'm like what is it?
Any how....I decided to stick with my proven old school steel steed and slap on 27's and say WTF!
Old 06-13-14, 08:15 AM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think unless you're doing those "race" gravel organized rides, it doesn't matter. Ride what works. For me 32's work fine. I don't ride gravel that fast and that depends on how deep it is. I do like riding gravel but after breaking my leg last month on my motorcycle while riding gravel, I don't know if I'll be riding them again.
Old 06-13-14, 08:16 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I take my 23s on gravel/dirt roads all the time. As long as they haven't just laid down fresh gravel I don't have any issues. I do plan on getting some 30s specifically for gravel rides though and I expect that will be more than adequate. Luckily my road bike can handle a larger tire...
Old 06-13-14, 08:17 AM
therhodeo

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a cross bike bit Hutchinson Bulldog cross tires. The gravel thing is getting big and you'll find guys riding everything from fast racey cross bikes to fat bikes with enourmous balloon tires. I like going fast and don't want to fight a 30lb bike.
Old 06-13-14, 08:19 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
This is my do everything bike.......Raleigh Bicycles Rx1.0 - 2011 Road

First bike I've ever had that left me feeling like I don't need anything more.
Old 06-13-14, 08:33 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
If you're not racing, a vintage mtb with trekking bars makes a pretty good all rounder. You could also go the drop bar route with a vintage mtb but that involves more work.

High end vintage mtbs tend to be pretty inexpensive as well. And fitting a fat tire is no problem obviously.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0069.jpg (95.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-13-14, 09:05 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
Do we need 35" or bigger tires?
You rockin' a penny farthing?
Old 06-13-14, 09:22 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
So I love the idea of a do anything road bike and I am dabbling with the size of my tires for my all arounder but I went to check out a Salsa and a All city bike with gravle grinder specs and I was kinda let down. Do we need 35" or bigger tires? or what ever they were...the tires were HUGE bike looked crazy at what point is it a joke. One had cantis the other disc brakes the frames were very nice but Tires just too dam large not sure the bike would in any way be road worthy or fun....One version had deep V 26' wheels with panniers I'm like what is it?
Any how....I decided to stick with my proven old school steel steed and slap on 27's and say WTF!
It depends on where you're riding, and how you're using the bike.

The point of "gravel grinders" is to give wide tire clearance so you have the option to run wide tires and or fenders if you need.

You can always put narrower tires on that bike, but you can't put 40mm on most road or racing CX bikes.

Well maintained dirt road, you can easily do with 23mm tires, although 28mm will likely work better.

Very nasty gravel, and "roads" that are really not much more than a trail, like there is on Dirty Kanza and you want 38-40mm or wider.

Also, if your riding off pavement, and touring, you may want bigger tires to deal with the load.

Pretty easy to change tires with conditions. Not so easy to put wide tires on a conventional road bike.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-13-14, 10:06 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPK79
I take my 23s on gravel/dirt roads all the time. As long as they haven't just laid down fresh gravel I don't have any issues. I do plan on getting some 30s specifically for gravel rides though and I expect that will be more than adequate. Luckily my road bike can handle a larger tire...
I run 28mm tires on 25mm rims, and the effective tire width ends up being 30.5mm. Works surprisingly well for a wide range of conditions.

In my experience, a steel road bike with 47-57 caliper brakes works well enough for me that I don't need a dedicated/bespoke gravel rig.
Old 06-13-14, 10:12 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by MileHighMark
I run 28mm tires on 25mm rims, and the effective tire width ends up being 30.5mm. Works surprisingly well for a wide range of conditions.

In my experience, a steel road bike with 47-57 caliper brakes works well enough for me that I don't need a dedicated/bespoke gravel rig.
That's kind of how I'm seeing it. I don't think my steel road bike is going to hold me back enough on the gravel to warrant a gravel specific bike. I may look into an upgrade in my wheels and use my current ones for dedicated gravel with some wider tires.
Old 06-13-14, 10:15 AM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I felt the same way about the Salsa Fargo. I didn't need tires "that" big and thought it looked silly with smaller tires. That's why I went with the Salsa Vaya. I built mine up from a frameset and a donor Trek that I got on CL. It will handle up to 45s I think. I run 32 slicks on it most of the time. I also have 38 All Terrains and 42 Tour Rides. That is the beauty of the bike. I can run it stripped down with the slicks and it is a decent road bike. I can put on fenders and a rack and it is great for commuting. Put on the fatter tires and take it on the gravel. And I can put on front and rear panniers and it is a stable touring bike.
Old 06-13-14, 10:21 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RPK79
That's kind of how I'm seeing it. I don't think my steel road bike is going to hold me back enough on the gravel to warrant a gravel specific bike. I may look into an upgrade in my wheels and use my current ones for dedicated gravel with some wider tires.
I owned a Salsa Vaya for a few years, and had to sell it due to financial issues. To be honest, I don't miss it. If the terrain is more than 32mm tires can handle, I grab my 29er.
Old 06-13-14, 11:13 AM
UnfilteredDregs

Bikes: Salsa Ti Warbird- 2014/ November RAIL52s

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vaya is a touring bike... Not a gg.
Old 06-13-14, 11:19 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12739 Post(s)
Liked 7,652 Times in 4,058 Posts
My favorite gravel setup is a rigid 26er with drop bars, brifters, 39/52 double, 11-32 9sp, 1.9" semi-slicks.
Old 06-13-14, 11:26 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You rockin' a penny farthing?
Too used to facebook...was looking for the "like" button.

Old 06-13-14, 11:33 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Gravel.

Gotta figure some of this out product wise as one of the best gravel races in the country is within 20 minutes from my house and usually brings in a lot of the pros and OEMs I know from cross.

In general all of the gravel stuff I have done I have accomplished on a cross bike with 33mm tires. I have also ridden a cross bike as a commuter with Panniers, raced on it, and even trained and raced road races on it (with a full sized crank being swapped onto it).

They started coming out with this sort of gravel designation for cross like frames that were almost always disk with even wider spreads to accommodate larger tires. I can say without a doubt that those on fat bikes and gravel bikes with larger tires were able to easily and smoothly ride past me on every gravel ride i have done. That's not really saying much...though....

Gotta say I always run the tires a little harder as I don't want to really drag on the pavement sections and don't want to flat. Result is that with 33's I really have to employ a lot of my handling experience (something I am actually still good at) just to keep the bike upright in some places. Unnerving at best and dangerous at worst.

So...do you need wide tires? Depends on what you are really riding. Beauty of gravel bikes is that you can put any tires on there you want as long as they didn't sell you 29'r wheels with it. Road, cross, gravel, mtb...

FWIW - Specialized is now prototyping/riding an "in-between" bike? something that isn't necessarily a road bike or a gravel bike. I thought that would be a cross bike but I guess they disagree. Should be interesting how polluted they make this.

Old 06-13-14, 12:04 PM
TinkerinWstuff

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Anyroad is supposed to be in the GG class and has 28s
Old 06-13-14, 12:28 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
My old steel sport tourer fits the bill for me. 28's for the road and 35's for when I know I'm going to be mostly on gravel.
Old 06-13-14, 01:01 PM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Shhhh....Don't tell Salsa...they refer to it as "Road Touring / Gravel / Road Riding" on their website.
Old 06-13-14, 01:03 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
there is a gravel forum now that cyclocross racing got its own forum. You don't have to use knobby tires on your gravel bike. Around here it's not a bad idea to have some tread, but large volume is required. I rode some really large 30mm tires last year and still had pinch flats. Just because a tire is large doesn't mean that it is slow. Among others, Compass sells 700c x 30-40mm tires that roll pretty well on the road. If I had to pick one bike, it would be my gravel bike with fast ~40mm tires. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I'm not racing anyone.
Old 06-13-14, 01:04 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terry66
Shhhh....Don't tell Salsa...they refer to it as "Road Touring / Gravel / Road Riding" on their website.
Ha! They must of changed their language recently... Vaya at its roots is a touring bike.
Old 06-13-14, 01:16 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
Its really an adventure bike. The Salsa Vaya is a cross-bred road bike that seeks to go into territory you could go only go before with a mountain bike. You can consider it a true all-terrain bike.
Old 06-13-14, 01:18 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry66
A country bike or it do it all bike. They ripped off Grant Petersen's A. Homer Hilsen and added disk brakes.
Old 06-13-14, 01:36 PM
UnfilteredDregs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by NormanF
Its really an adventure bike...The Salsa Vaya... a true all-terrain bike.
Yeah! touring... I wonder why they discontinued the Ti frame and went with stainless... Nice bikes, yeah I'm biased.
Old 06-13-14, 01:42 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think you'd want a dedicated touring bike. The Salsa Vaya is more of a sports touring bicycle, albeit with disk brakes.

Nice bike, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.