Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Nearly perfect pouch for carrying tools in rear jersey pocket - FREE!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 07:46 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts

Well sort of free. Or as a friend of mine likes to say, "Not free, but included!"

First let me say I am not trying to reopen any of the myriad discussions pitting under-saddle bags against carrying tools in the jersey pocket. I figure it is one of those, "There are two kinds of people..." things. So let's just say if you are like me, and prefer to carry your tools in your back pocket, read on.

If you have ever flown in business, business first, or first class overseas, you will know what I am talking about. The "amenitites" pouch supplied by the airline to its upper class customers makes a nearly perfect bag for tools and usually fits nicely in the center jersey pocket. I always just discard all the junk right away anyway, the comb, eyeshade, tiny tooth brush and paste, water spray can, etc. The real gem is the bag. They come in different sizes and fabrics, but many are just right and often fairly water proof. I just returned from a vacation trip with four of them, in two different sizes due to flying two different airlines there and back and travelling with my wife. I have been using one of the larger type for about 25 years, but I came back with a smaller one this time, and am thinking of giving it a try.

If you are like most folks and don't fly in the upper class cabins overseas, no problem. No, I don't expect you to pay $5,000-10,000 just to get a tool bag or to squander a lifetime supply of frequent flyer points if that is not your thing. But you could easily have a friend, relative or business colleague who does. It is not all that uncommon. And anyone who travels overseas on business regularly has more of these things than he/she could possibly use for any purpose. I sure most of them just get tossed or left on the plane. A friend wouldn't mind snagging one for you. I wouldn't be surprised if you couldn't grab on off an upperclass seat when you are exiting a plane after travelling in economy.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 06-29-14, 07:59 AM
gc3
Falls Downalot

Bikes: Now I Got Two

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the ones I've ever got, I'd consider too big. This thread will only work if you name names, i.e., which airlines have amenity pouches that fit....

...no, wait a minute...let's resurrect the droopy pocket dialog that goes with this topic...
Old 06-29-14, 08:00 AM
kleng

Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just use the small size zip lock snack and sandwich style bags, which by default are fully water proof.
As they are clear you can quickly see what is inside, I double bag them to make it stronger. I have one for the tools tube and compressed air and one for the gels etc. The small size fit's neatly into the jersey pockets with the narrow openings.

Their also great to prevent the phone from getting wet.

Small Plastic Bags | Glad®

To avoid the droopy pocket syndrome you just spread the load across the three pockets.
Old 06-29-14, 10:05 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by gc3
All the ones I've ever got, I'd consider too big. This thread will only work if you name names, i.e., which airlines have amenity pouches that fit....

...no, wait a minute...let's resurrect the droopy pocket dialog that goes with this topic...
The United ones I just got are a bit large, but the Lufthansa ones are just right. Perhaps because they run three classes and business is not the top. So the pouch is smaller. Who knows?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...

Last edited by rpenmanparker; 06-29-14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-29-14, 11:06 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by kleng
I just use the small size zip lock snack and sandwich style bags, which by default are fully water proof.
As they are clear you can quickly see what is inside, I double bag them to make it stronger. I have one for the tools tube and compressed air and one for the gels etc. The small size fit's neatly into the jersey pockets with the narrow openings.

Their also great to prevent the phone from getting wet.

Small Plastic Bags | Glad®

To avoid the droopy pocket syndrome you just spread the load across the three pockets.
On touch screen phones you can also read/send texts, start/stop your strava, take phone calls etc without taking it out of the ziploc bag.
Old 06-29-14, 11:26 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I don't use this leather tobacco pouch much anymore, kind of stopped when I began carrying a cell phone in my jersey but it fits perfectly in a jersey pocket, nothing will puncture it and it will last forever. Has a vinyl waterproof liner inside, very tough. It's great for tools if you don't use a saddle bag. Everything I put in my saddle bag can fit in it. Not bad for $15.

Castleford Drawstring Pouch - Black

[/URL]

Last edited by Lazyass; 06-29-14 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 11:28 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Saggy? Tell that to the Domestiques.

The fashion horror, the horror.

This works great 'cause clear and long zipper & $7.50. Pack-It? Sac Xsmall - Spill-Proof Sacs | Official Eagle Creek Website
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (100.1 KB, 30 views)
image.jpg (70.6 KB, 62 views)
image.jpg (104.1 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Jseis; 06-29-14 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 01:48 PM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kleng
As they are clear you can quickly see what is inside, I double bag them to make it stronger. I have one for the tools tube and compressed air and one for the gels etc.
Double bag??? That adds like .000341 grams.
Old 06-29-14, 01:59 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jseis
Saggy? Tell that to the Domestiques.

The fashion horror, the horror.

This works great 'cause clear and long zipper & $7.50. Pack-It? Sac Xsmall - Spill-Proof Sacs | Official Eagle Creek Website
Cav working as a domestique. Love it.

S
Old 06-29-14, 03:04 PM
PVFD304

Bikes: Scattante X-330 - Cannondale R900 - Specialized Crosstrail- Cervelo Dual - Cervelo S2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using an old blood glucose meter case (daughter is Type I). Fits tube, 2 co2 cartridges, inflator head, multitool, levers, keys, and money.
Old 06-29-14, 05:04 PM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slackerprince
Cav working as a domestique. Love it.

S
If being world champion doesn't get you out of being waterboy I don't know what could.
Old 06-29-14, 08:41 PM
Slackerprince
Redefining Lazy

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Synapse 5 105, 2013 Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kc0bbq
If being world champion doesn't get you out of being waterboy I don't know what could.
Payback for the lead-out.

S