Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike locks, sorry if its a repost

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 11:30 AM
cncwhiz

Bikes: Cannondale synapsis, Giant 29r rigid tail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

What kind of lock do you carry on your commuter? I already have two bottles so there is no room there.
Old 08-01-16, 01:00 PM
DumbPartsGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't want to hang anything off your bike, check out the options from hiplock. You can get them through amazon. Basically makes a heavy chain a belt. They're only long enough to loop through the frame. Either get a lock set for your QRs or bring a cable lock as well if you're worried your wheels will disappear.
Old 08-01-16, 01:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Abus Bordo Granit X the pouch they fold into has straps to Hold it securely around a frame tube.

It can Go under the downtube..

And Get Pitlock Replacement skewers for the QR ones ..
Old 08-01-16, 01:07 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
none. I have a big ole U Lock I leave mounted on my work bike, and another U Lock I have in my messenger bag on days I am just tooling around the city with friends. My commuter gets to live a life indoors.

Having said that, I recommend a U Lock from Kryptonite, Bulldog, or Abus.
Old 08-01-16, 01:12 PM
But its me 

Bikes: A few older US made Cannondales, a modern Soma Saga (no longer made, alas!), and one gifted crabon Specialized. Never enough.

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
Can you leave your lock at work? I leave my Abus U-lock on the bike rack at work, saving myself some weight.
Old 08-01-16, 01:57 PM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a great big giant ABUS polygonal chain with an armored padlock that I use for the "leave on site" method - which currently isn't part of my commute thanks to a great building manager who lets me use a staff-only stairwell to park my bike.

I also have an OnGuard cable lock, which is a bit beefier than the usual cable lock, but probably not really that much better to stop a determined/equipped thief. I only use this in areas that have pretty good security anyway. It fits in my rack bag, but takes up more space than I would like. It also comes with a way to mount it on the frame, which didn't work for me/my bike. I'm tempted to replace this with one of the folding link type locks, but curious to know what others think of these. It would be more compact in any case.
Old 08-01-16, 04:36 PM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely love the Serfas puck lock. I fit mine in my seat bag and wife has hers mounted to the frame. When it is in the frame holder it is actually locked in place. Switched over to the Serfas Puck after getting tried of carrying around a heavy U lock. I am sure the U lock offers a bit more security, but in all honesty, all a lock can really do is keep honest people honest. 30 seconds to cut through a Puck lock or 45 seconds to cut through a U lock.
The Puck lock is small when rolled up and actually a little larger than a 8-9" U lock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
srfas puck lock.jpg (43.6 KB, 188 views)
Old 08-01-16, 09:42 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Pitlock skewers on the wheels, seatpost and headset. Abus 140 Mini U-lock in my back pocket.
Old 08-01-16, 10:48 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cncwhiz
What kind of lock do you carry on your commuter?
I don't. I leave mine locked around the sign post (nice weather) or inside the parking garage on the post-and-ring (foul weather).

For evening and weekend errands, I use a lock I keep at home, and it rides inside a pannier.

Alternatively, when running light errands on the Litespeed, I just lock it around the head tube (above the top tube) and ride away.

Never could figure out why some people insist you need some kind of special holder mounted on the bike. Why?
Old 08-02-16, 05:51 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I use Pitlocks and keep the locks at work but sometimes need a lock before work or after. For this purpose I purchased a Velo Orange Constructeur rear rack and I fasten a U lock to this.
Old 08-02-16, 10:18 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I use Pitlocks and keep the locks at work but sometimes need a lock before work or after. For this purpose I purchased a Velo Orange Constructeur rear rack and I fasten a U lock to this.
I keep my lock bungeed to my rear rack. If I need the rear rack for something else I move the lock to my front basket.

I rented a bike one day that had no bungees, so I had to lock the lock on the frame and rear rack. I think a rear rack is the way to go. Multifunctional.
Old 08-02-16, 11:53 AM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
i don't see too many people here with pitlocks and it makes no sense to me. It's far more secure and more convenient than bringing a cable and lock for your wheels. pitlocks aren't cheap but they are the best secured skewers around IMO. only downside is I think a lot of the newer sets come with only 1 pit vs 2 like the older sets.
Old 08-02-16, 01:01 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
I use a NYC kyrptonite heavy duty u lock mounted to the handlebar. + an armoured cable lock as a second measure. Nothing says to thieves to screw off like a couple of nice locks. For an added bonus I suggest you park around other bikes that are easier to steal.
Old 08-02-16, 02:27 PM
drmfunky

Bikes: 1992 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cncwhiz
What kind of lock do you carry on your commuter? I already have two bottles so there is no room there.
I don't carry any lock on my bike; occasionally I carry a Kryptonite U-lock in my pack but rarely carry that with me. Anytime I go inside the bicycle comes with me.
Old 08-02-16, 02:33 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
I carry Abus Bordo Granit X-Plus.

It's a good lock that packs easily on the bike.

Put my knowledge and experience into these two articles. One about locking techniques, one about locks:

Locking a bicycle

Bicycle locks
Old 08-02-16, 07:55 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Trelock FS300 Trigo

It's a folding lock. Fits in its own holster which mounts like a water bottle. Compact, sturdy, not too heavy and it's easy to work with. No, I wouldn't trust it overnight in NYC, but that's not what I use it for. I only carry it for emergency lockup if I break down and it's too far (or I'm unable) to walk the bike.

-Kedosto
Old 08-02-16, 09:33 PM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by idiotekniQues
i don't see too many people here with pitlocks and it makes no sense to me. It's far more secure and more convenient than bringing a cable and lock for your wheels. pitlocks aren't cheap but they are the best secured skewers around IMO. only downside is I think a lot of the newer sets come with only 1 pit vs 2 like the older sets.
I have a pinhead on my front wheel. My lbs advised that the pinhead skewer was too short for my internal hub, and it could cause issues down the line. I ended up getting a kryptonite messenger mini lock with the wheel attachment.
Old 08-02-16, 11:09 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
Never could figure out why some people insist you need some kind of special holder mounted on the bike. Why?
I ride with a backpack on my rear rack most of the time. It is a hassle for me to open it, stuff a 2+ kg lock in it, along with other stuff I haul. If I'm buying some fruit and vegetables, I need to make sure the lock is at the bottom of the backpack. Then, if I need to lock the bike again somewhere.... you see the problem?

That's why I prefer that bike frame carries the lock. So it doesn't use my pannier/backpack space.
Old 08-05-16, 01:33 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I use a Kryptonite Combination ULock. I carry it in my rear seat bag, it's pretty much exactly the right size.

As others have said an alternative is to leave a lock locked to the rack at work so you don't have to carry it back and forth.
Old 08-05-16, 04:37 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I use a generic ulock that I carry in a pannier.

My current commuter has a lower resale value than the tool required to cut the lock.

This strategy would be unacceptable for most people here though.
Old 08-05-16, 07:11 AM
Bikeforumuser0019
Time to Fly!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 12 Posts
I know this is not new, but I couldn't resist adding this to the convo.....

Homestar Runner: Strong Bad Email - Bike Thief

Best line that still makes me laugh: "Any bike with a water bottle holder is a complete waste of bike!"
Old 08-05-16, 07:13 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I use a Kryptonite New York U-lock at work, with a 4' cable looped through the front wheel. I leave the lock and cable attached to the rack at night and over the weekends, so I'm not having to lug it back and forth. I also carry a small combination cable lock in my seatbag or racktop bag at all times. I only use this lock for quick stops.
Old 08-05-16, 07:31 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Like others, I leave a U lock at work locked to a bike rack which is inside a parking garage. It has not left this place for at least 5 years.
Old 08-07-16, 07:32 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Cable lock in my trunk bag, I can lock my bike inside my workplace. For the street, case hardened heavy duty chain + armored lock, also in my trunk bag.
Old 08-07-16, 08:29 PM
cncwhiz

Bikes: Cannondale synapsis, Giant 29r rigid tail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I guess when you have a lock on you in a backpack or somewhere on the bike it still weighs the same. Not I care much for the weight issue but where and how to locate it is the issue. I ride to work a few days a week and I ride on Sunday as well. I don't carry my backpack on my Sunday ride but I usually don't go into any stores. Bike theft is vary rare. I just want to keep people honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.