Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2017- Race Results

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-17, 12:11 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ygduf
I'd generally be pretty satisfied with this result (and really, I am) but reading the report from Matt's teammate annoys the **** out of me.
Are you referring to something posted earlier here, or what? Sorry, confused. From context I'd guess the annoying race report says something like "we strategied the hell out of that strong loser" compared to your interpretation of "what the hell else could I have done?!"

So what say ye? Pretend you're me. You have no sprint and find yourself in a break with 2 guys who are just (currently, at least) better than you. Do you do anything differently?
Sounds to me like you tried the small number of options that were available to you. But, why didn't they want to make contact? They had teammates in the field and you didn't so your only advantage to lapping the field is hoping for chaos to cause something weird to happen, whereas they pick up actual teammates.

Last edited by globecanvas; 06-12-17 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-12-17, 01:43 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by globecanvas
Are you referring to something posted earlier here, or what? Sorry, confused. From context I'd guess the annoying race report says something like "we strategied the hell out of that strong loser" compared to your interpretation of "what the hell else could I have done?!"
yeah, his race report. essentially making me out to be dim-witted and weak. When the other two guys in the break were saying "there's not benefit to lapping" (winner has a sprint and likely guaranteed to win from the break, other guy incredibly TT and best chance was catching us unaware with a long solo attack) I joked that "at least I could rest."

Anyway - yeah, dude thought I was tired, wanted to rest, unaware that I was being worked, and so on. Meanwhile I created the break and am plotting my best chance to finish better-than-third the entire time.

Just annoys me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 06-12-17, 01:44 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I tried to post and it got held for moderation? @globecanvas
Old 06-12-17, 01:49 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
So what say ye? Pretend you're me. You have no sprint and find yourself in a break with 2 guys who are just (currently, at least) better than you. Do you do anything differently?
Maybe don't bridge, let them mark each other and take advantage of that? It's a roll of the dice, but less so than hoping someone gets boxed in a field sprint. Still a stretch to beat them both, they were probably the strongest guys out there..

I'm surprised Dave didn't want to bridge (since I was in the pack, waiting to help), but it sounds like he was confident enough that he didn't think he even needed the help.

I think your chances of winning that race, given the way it played out (up to before you guys lapped), were probably 20% at best. Not because you're weak, but because they are so strong, and there's two of them.

my race videos
Old 06-12-17, 02:11 PM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Don't know anything about that... I don't even think there is a facility for holding posts for moderation. Network/DB absence seizure maybe?
Old 06-12-17, 02:24 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
That's happened to me a few times lately. I figured I offended the syntax Gods with my weird-ass sentences.
Old 06-12-17, 02:26 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Happened to me once. I delete most of my drafts before posting anyway so whatever!
Old 06-12-17, 06:56 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
Not sure what happened there but you're all set now.
Old 06-17-17, 07:58 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
@aaronmcd just saw you won Red Kite! Congrats!
Old 06-17-17, 09:41 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Red kite crit, cat 2/3. Win!!
Only 28 guys on the line, probably because it was almost 100 degrees. I was a bit dehydrated this morning but consumed vast quantities of water, food and salt, and felt fine during the race.

One fast guy was up the road most of the first half of the race, but never got much help. About 35 minutes in I attack, a few came up with the pack close. I kind of half work steady and half surge, to keep it strung out for a while and try and force a break, but it ended up being half the pack so I quit working with about 15 minutes to go and the rest of the pack caught back on.

Rested up for the final laps and I still had matches. One guy attacked 5 to go, and when he was caught with 3 to go the pack sat up and I took the opportunity to build a gap and hold it to the finish!

Opted to skip the 1/2 race due to the heat. Good thing, everyone that doubled up back to back DNFed.
Old 06-18-17, 12:24 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Red kite crit, cat 2/3. Win!!
That was great watching you drop everyone in those last few laps! You held the gap the whole time, impressive.

Was wondering if you'd post up, but with that crosswind it's a little dangerous - luckily it counts either way. Congrats!

my race videos
Old 06-18-17, 03:57 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Way to go, Aaron!

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-18-17, 07:50 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Awesome @aaronmcd!
Old 06-18-17, 01:17 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
congrats @aaronmcd ... impressive way to win
Old 06-18-17, 01:24 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Schwing!
Old 06-18-17, 02:01 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by thekillerpenguin
schwing!
+1
Old 06-18-17, 02:37 PM
miyata man

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Aaron, the guy who took 2nd won out when I teased the locals into trying to take a broken pavement S curve hill KOM last Spring. Down, not up.
Old 06-18-17, 06:35 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
After a completely awful race Friday, in which you wonder why you continue to race bikes (first hot race..95 degrees), I got 10th in our local crit today.

Nailed my clipin and drilled it at the front for 2 laps, then drifted back and just sat in the front 1/3 of the pack. Halfway in there was a crash on turn 3, in front of me, that split the group up, but the small group I was in was able to chase back on to the main pack. Closed a bunch of gaps as guys were dieing and ended up floating around the back of what was left of the field. 2 to go, guy in front me clips his pedal and almost loses it on turn 2..I anticipated having to hit the grass and start to unclip but luckily he saved it, and after a brief meeting between my front tire and the curb I jumped back to the group. Tried moving up for a better position going into the finish but was only able to come in on the back of the pack for 10th.

Happy with this one. I've done this race every year since I started racing and have never finished without getting dropped. So coming in 10th was awesome. Was having a little bit of a hard time picking the right gear to come out of the corners in, but I never really thought I was ever going to lose contact with the group. Good race.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1042974130#kudos

Then I lined up for the 3/4 (lol), got dropped 3 laps in, and was hoping they would pull me but they never did!
Old 06-18-17, 11:06 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by miyata man
the guy who took 2nd won out when I teased the locals into trying to take a broken pavement S curve hill KOM last Spring. Down, not up.
???

my race videos
Old 06-19-17, 08:39 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Red kite 2nd place, was up here visiting friends and casually dispatched one of the rare challenging descents we have.
Old 06-19-17, 08:42 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Congrats!

Demain, on roule!
Old 06-19-17, 09:00 AM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not much racing locally recently, but this past weekend was filled with 2 local crits. Let me start by saying my focus for this year has changed from road to cyclocross, so I am not racing on the road as much and a little unsure of my current fitness. The early season races left me wondering how I last year I was able to be up front and this year I was struggling to hang on. But I knew my fitness was starting to come around thanks to some solid training blocks.

Saturday Grandview Grand Prix P123 - 19th
I went into this race with not much of a plan. I knew it would be very aggressive and I had one teammate with me. The course is a fairly technical 6-turn crit that is littered with pot holes in all the good lines and finished off with an off camber final corner with a downhill finish. Once settled in a made some break attempts, bridged across and pulled some back. Something I was unable to do early in the year. Once the halfway point hit I sat back and planned to wait for the last 5 laps or so to make an attempt at getting away. With 7 to go a very strong rider went at the perfect moment. Problem was, at that moment i was trying to move up to prepare for the same move and was just to far back when it happened. 2 riders stayed away and I finished in the pack. Although not a great result it gave me a lot of confidence for Sunday, as I felt I was starting to get back to my old self.

Sunday Race Avenue Crit - 11th
Went into this race with a plan of doing little work until last 10 laps. Typically this is a very aggressive race, but the nature of the course usually leads to a late break or sprint finish. Classic 4 corners with the finishing straight being a long false flat, into a headwind, and the backstretch a fast 30mph+ downhill. There were 4 teams that had 4+ guys and I knew early that if each team was represented in a break it would likely stick. About 10 laps in a promising break got up the road, each team was represented. I knew I had to be in it so I made the solo bridge. Took me about a lap, but as soon as I got up there I could see there was little cohesion, I think the group was just one or two riders to big. We stayed away for a couple laps, with riders not willing to pull through and just coasting on the backside. I attacked trying to whittle the group down while still trying to get the stronger riders from each team to come with. 3 of us stayed away for a lap or two them everything came back together. I was feeling strong and knew I could stay with any of the guys and when a break went up the road I was on the wheel of the last rider to bridge and for some reason I didn't go. I don't know why, I just hesitated. I guess I thought it would come back and I didn't take note to all the riders up the road, turned out every team was represented and before I knew it they had 20 seconds. The gap went out to a minute and I was bascially by myself in the group trying to close the gap, we got it to within 30 seconds, but that was as close as it got. Finally after endless efforts I was able to sneak away in the last 6 or 7 laps. I had buried myself all day trying to get in the break and close the gap so when we sprinted it out I had nothing left and my 2 other breakmates finished ahead.

All in all it was a win for me. I was frustrated to have missed the winning move, but happy to have found my legs!
Old 06-19-17, 09:37 AM
miyata man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
Congrats!
Dammit, I meant to quote mattm. Who was questioning some undetermined element of my reply to aaronmcd. My head is fried from the heat last week.

Rider who won the field sprint for 2nd behind aaronmcd won his first race in 3-4 years last weekend. He proved to be ballsier at descending and cornering than most on the locally rare technical descent with a not going to end well drop off a cliff if you mess up.
Old 06-19-17, 09:56 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
cool story
Old 06-19-17, 12:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I did Nevada City. It was awful. Really hot. At 11 am it was already 100F. Got dropped on the 3d lap. Slogged on. Eventually got lapped and was descending with the leaders and the guy on the front crashed right in front of me in turn 2. Kept going. Eventually it ended. No DNF, no crash, no trip to the ER. And I wasn't last. Yay. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

It's a bit disappointing though. I grew up not too far from Nevada City l and kept telling myself that I should be used to the heat. I am the lightest I've been since before the kids were born, and I just PRed my 1', 2', and 5' power in the last few months. But I just didn't have it on race day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.