Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

RD adjustment help...

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

RD adjustment help...

Old 06-07-20, 08:17 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
RD adjustment help...

Just went from a MicroShift Advent 1x9 to a Box One 1x11 (11-50) drivetrain on my 2020 Rockhopper Comp. The system installed easily enough. I took my wheel to the LBS and had them put the rear cassette on, I didnt have the cassette tool or chain whip...and they charged me less to swap the cassette. I did the rest myself. Once installed, it feels like the RD isn't getting all the way over the big gear. The limit screw is backed out all the way to the point there is no tension on the screw at all. The chain goes to the big get pretty well. The top and bottom gears seem to work ok...the middle gears though do not. At one point it seemed the chain would go back and forth between 2 gears. I adjusted more tension to the cable and that fixed the middle gears but then the top (smaller) gears didnt shift consistently. Adjust the cable a bit more and the smaller gears and the middle gears shift pretty well, but the big gears are slow and reluctant if they go to the big gear at all. Is it me? (probably). Any tips that ca help? All the videos I watch on adjust ing the RD seem SUPER simple...adjust the limit screws, set the B spacing, adjust cable tension on the middle gears. The other thing I was thinking.....does my rear wheel need a cassette spacer to move the cassette over slightly? Also all this is done with the bike on a stand...not riding it...
Old 06-07-20, 08:27 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
How did you size the chain length?
Old 06-07-20, 08:46 PM
jrhoneOC

Originally Posted by qclabrat
How did you size the chain length?
Great question...I sized it 2 different ways....

The first way was to put the chain on the big gear and front sprocket and add 2 links. This made for what I thought was a tighter chain.

I rode this way for about 20 miles and the chain popped. Didnt know exactly why, but I decided to size the chain the method that Box says in case it was too tight.

Put the chain on the smallest gear and run it through the derailleur. Pull the two ends of the chain together so that the cage rotates slightly and the cage stop screw is not contacting the derailleur.

The second way gave me a longer chain. Seems to be happier at that chain length.
Old 06-08-20, 07:01 AM
qclabrat

Post up a pic of your setup, something seems wrong.
What's the front chain ring you are running?
Old 06-08-20, 07:22 PM
jrhoneOC

Its the stock chainring on my Rockhopper...the cranks and chainring are Stout and its a 30T.
Old 06-09-20, 05:54 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by jrhoneOC
Its the stock chainring on my Rockhopper...the cranks and chainring are Stout and its a 30T.
I can't tell for sure if the chainring is the narrow-wide design.
It made a huge difference for me to avoid chain drops.

There are many choices out there and Raceface is probably the most popular. Though check the bcd on the stout crank before ordering
https://www.raceface.com/collections/rings
Old 06-09-20, 12:00 PM
eshew

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 29 Posts
Might want to confirm that your derailleur hanger isn't bent or slightly tweaked. That can cause mayhem when trying to dial in a derailleur. Any tweak is going to be accentuated with the larger cassette.
Old 06-09-20, 03:01 PM
jrhoneOC

FIXED.....took it to the LBS. A few things were addressed. Another bike shop that installed the cassette for me didnt torque it down so it was slightly loose. Hub had a bit of play in it. Hanger was not straight. After addressing all those issues, they adjusted it in no time and 20 minutes and $15 later, I am happy as a clam. Shifting is great up and down and the lever feel is actually much lighter than it was...Now back to my normal trails to test it out again.