Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Paul Brodie has a YouTube Channel

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 01:20 AM
nismo82

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I just wanted to pass along that Paul Brodie has started a YouTube channel about bicycle framebuilding (and a few motorcycle projects). You can find it here: www.youtube.com/paulbrodie

Full disclosure: I’m the guy behind the camera and who also does the video editing. Paul just wants to impart some of his knowledge onto others and we’re making these videos together to have some fun. Thanks for looking.
Old 06-20-20, 02:22 AM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
Thank you for sharing. There are some interesting and entertaining uploads. I look forward to the YouTube channel advancing.
Old 06-20-20, 08:11 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
I find Paul's vids to be very interesting to watch. It's a pleasure to see someone go at a project with such a relaxed confidence and what at face value seems little planning yet actually because of his vast experience he's done that planning long ago. I also find how he handles the tools and work pieces to be a pleasure to watch. Andy
Old 06-20-20, 12:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I subscribed. Only watched the alignment tool vid so far, very well done
Old 06-20-20, 01:52 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I subscribed. Only watched the alignment tool vid so far, very well done
Binge watch all of them, well worth it. The way he makes that coffee table is particularly interesting. He machines all the parts so they're perfect and then just welds them together without apparently even using a square because everything just fits.
​​
Old 06-20-20, 03:00 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

he did the same thing with the stem. Only fixture was to hold the bar tube on to the extension tube
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 06-20-20, 04:52 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Now I want a TIG more than ever
Old 06-21-20, 06:44 PM
nismo82

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the comments everyone. We usually spend one day per week filming a project. It’s pretty amazing to watch him work in real time. I haven’t seen him get stumped by any fabrication problems yet. He just knows how to do anything in the shop and he’s super chill about it. Hope you continue to enjoy the videos, we’ll try to keep putting them out weekly.
Likes For nismo82:
Old 06-22-20, 01:32 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by nismo82
Thanks for the comments everyone. We usually spend one day per week filming a project. It’s pretty amazing to watch him work in real time. I haven’t seen him get stumped by any fabrication problems yet. He just knows how to do anything in the shop and he’s super chill about it. Hope you continue to enjoy the videos, we’ll try to keep putting them out weekly.
It's my new favourite YouTube channel. Super-stoked to see this e-bike build. Outstanding camera work and editing as well by the way.
Old 06-22-20, 09:37 PM
nismo82

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
It's my new favourite YouTube channel. Super-stoked to see this e-bike build. Outstanding camera work and editing as well by the way.
Thanks!

let me know if anyone would like to see videos on something specific. We’re thinking of doing a couple of “How To’s” for setting up certain tools such as a “How to centre a mill”. These would be short videos to show some fundamental metalworking skills.

There will probably be a 3 part series coming in the near future on a complete bike frame build based on how did it when he started Brodie Bikes.
Old 06-23-20, 07:41 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
A vid series of how to build a frame without the fancy tooling might be well received. Andy
Old 06-23-20, 08:48 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I think no-nonsense videos about elementary machining operations would be well received. Tubelcain has a batch of those but he's a goofball and he does a lot of pointless stuff. For example, his video on how to center a tailstock, he builds a fixture to hold his test indicator instead of just sticking it on his chuck with the magnetic base.
Old 06-23-20, 09:51 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A vid series of how to build a frame without the fancy tooling might be well received. Andy
From the videos so far it doesn't look like Paul Brodie even owns my most used tool-- the humble angle grinder!

I like complete build series the most but tips and tricks videos are also good.