Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame repair Ann Arbor Michigan

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 04:30 PM
candrus 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

I'm looking for recommendations for frame builders in Ann Arbor who would repair the top of a seat tube on a vintage tandem (steel frame). The lip of the seat tube got crumpled during shipping. I should have left the seat post in the seat tube for shipping. Never underestimate UPS when it comes to bike tossing.
Old 06-28-20, 04:39 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Not sure they do this sort of thing, but you might contact Aberdeen 's in Chelsea for a lead/recommendations.
Old 06-28-20, 06:16 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Contact forum member Doug Fattic framebuilder he is in your area.

Or you could ship it out for repair to a number of places
Old 06-28-20, 07:15 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
You might try Matt Assenmacher in Swartz Creek near Flint. He is one of America's original frame builders that started soon after the bike boom of 1970. He learned at Bob Jackson in Leeds after graduating from Central Michigan University. However he runs a bicycle store that probably is really busy right now with the new surge in bicycle interest. He likes to do frame stuff in the winter months. He like me is also a painter. I went to England a few years after Matt. If you don't mind the longer drive I can probably help you out. .
Old 06-28-20, 10:49 PM
Canaboo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
You could just roll it out yourself and touch it up.
Old 06-28-20, 10:55 PM
candrus 

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'd like to know more about how to roll it out so that I wouldn't end up with a slightly off-round inner diameter that keeps the seat post from sliding in smoothly.
Old 06-29-20, 07:22 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 2,304 Posts
I would use a smaller diameter seat post to initially bend out the lip. Using a combo of bending force and impacts against the smaller post from behind, taking care to mind the smaller post's end inside the seat tube and the potential to result in a slight bump out there. Perhaps using another post cut lengthwise as a sleeve to better support the ST ID. As the lip becomes nearly correct I would move to a post that just barely slips past the lip and repeat. Then a properly sized post to finish. You might have to add a bit of reverse force at the lip's upper edge to flatten it against the post for best looks. A slight reaming and/or honing to complete the job before paint. Basic blacksmithy although with care. Andy
Old 06-29-20, 05:53 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
If you are going to do it yourself try using a 28mm tapered carrot drift https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...oaAhOJEALw_wcB

Tighten the seatpost bolt insert drift and hit the drift in the direction of the top tube to try to flatten out the bent lip then and gradually tap the drift into the seat tube you may need to hit the outside of the seat tube as well. You will probably have to have the seat post reamed to make the seat post a smooth fit.
Old 06-29-20, 10:02 PM
candrus 

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks all for your suggestions and advice.
Old 07-01-20, 07:33 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,914 Times in 655 Posts
I looked at my old Imron paint chart from the 80's and I think the color is H7994U Seminole Red Metallic. I may still have a partial can somewhere. It was the only red metallic color available in that particular chart. It was the 2nd chart Dupont did for Imron paint.
Old 07-04-20, 01:16 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Take it to Doug Fattic. Excellence is his norm.