Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

More Certain Than Death and Taxes

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-13-20, 05:50 PM
Equinox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts

On a two lane road , with each lane going in the opposite direction, if there is an obstacle to the oncoming traffic (ambulance, delivery truck, utility truck, bicyclist, etc), the oncoming car will INVARIABLY, cross over the center line forcing traffic on to the opposite shoulder in order to avoid a head on. This action is as certain as the rising of the sun. It occurs without exception. The possibility of slowing down, stopping, and maintaining their own lane is utterly unfathomable. It's not an option.
On sort of related topic, a guy who right-hooked a bicycle was confronted by the rider. When the driver asked the cyclist, "What was I supposed to do?", the cyclist said "Stop and wait". I wish I could capture the look on that driver's face. It was priceless. The possibility of yielding was completely out of the realm of possibility.
If you told an oncoming driver that they can't cross into oncoming traffic to skirt an obstacle, they would have that same look on their face.
Likes For Equinox:
Old 06-13-20, 06:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Can something be more certain than something that is certain?
Old 06-14-20, 02:48 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Maybe it's a regional thing.

Today I was driving along a road similar to the one described. The oncoming traffic was blocked by a parked a car and I instinctively steered further to the right. The oncoming car, slowed down until I cleared the way for him to proceed. So we both took our safety precautions.

Now, if there was a bicycle on the road, I can tell you for certain, there'd be three or four-in-a-row: parked car, oncoming car, passing car and bike. That happens all the time.
Old 06-14-20, 03:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Sort of like the 8 cyclist's coming the opposite direction and behind a true greater than 6 mph runner the other day. They had to swerve into my lane making me have to be the one to slow almost to a stop..... hmm I guess you are right.

But there are exceptions. Me. I slow to the speed of the walker, runner and even the joggers doing the fancy six inch step foot work thing that are slower than some walkers. When no one is coming the opposite way and it's safe to pass then I do so.

But I'm no saint. I'm sure I do stupid stuff that annoys others too. I try not to, it just happens.
Old 06-15-20, 07:12 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
In NC it is now legal (and expected) that a motorist will cross over into the oncoming lane to pass a cyclist, even if there is a double yellow line. They must of course yield to oncoming traffic.
Old 06-15-20, 11:10 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I always thought a flat was a certainty. I know of no cyclist that has lived his/her entire life without getting a flat.

But I do know mountain bikers that have never encountered the situation above... thank God.

John
Old 06-15-20, 11:11 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
Double post...

...which might be a possible add to the list.

John
Old 06-16-20, 11:49 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
On a two lane road , with each lane going in the opposite direction, if there is an obstacle to the oncoming traffic (ambulance, delivery truck, utility truck, bicyclist, etc), the oncoming car will INVARIABLY, cross over the center line forcing traffic on to the opposite shoulder in order to avoid a head on. This action is as certain as the rising of the sun. It occurs without exception. The possibility of slowing down, stopping, and maintaining their own lane is utterly unfathomable. It's not an option.
I can't recall seeing this behavior. Certainly not a normal practice in CA, AZ, UT, TX, MA, OR, VT CT and more. In all cases I have encountered if there is opposing traffic the driver behind the obstacle will wait until clear.
Old 06-16-20, 12:37 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I can't recall seeing this behavior. Certainly not a normal practice in CA, AZ, UT, TX, MA, OR, VT CT and more. In all cases I have encountered if there is opposing traffic the driver behind the obstacle will wait until clear.
Stay happy and out of georgia... especially Atlanta!
Old 06-16-20, 01:11 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

I see it all the time in CA. Especially certain drivers... those that also tend to cruise stop signs. Nothing stops those folks.
Old 06-16-20, 02:23 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
It would seem if drivers are regularly doing this there would be a lot of head on collisions. No different than passing a slower vehicle, (living) drivers wait until opposing traffic is clear.
Old 06-23-20, 06:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts

There is a windy road in NH I no longer ride on because people insist on doing this when they pass me. After the second near head-on I witnessed, I decided it was just too risky. Too bad, beautiful 25 mph road that people insist on driving at 40 mph and can't figure out that they can't see around curves.
Old 06-25-20, 11:26 AM
EviLDORK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, Canondale Synapse, Canondale Touring 1, Salsa Mukluk, Masi Uno, Trek 850

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
When there's no shoulder in the suburbs of Milwaukee, oncoming drivers will leave the road and drive on lawns to let the vehicle behind me to overtake by passing within inches of me. It seems to happen more frequently when I'm able to bike at the speed limit.
Old 06-26-20, 07:04 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
I have a lot of people pass me on two land roads when in a perfect world they'd wait. Sometimes oncoming traffic has to slow down to accommodate them. But it never really results in a near collision so I just accept it as a normal part of riding.
Old 06-30-20, 08:52 AM
Equinox

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Not ten minutes ago; utility truck partially obstructing oncoming traffic, THREE dump trucks swerve halfway into my lane forcing me onto my shoulder to avoid a head on. These are presumably professional drivers. This happen 100% of the time, as sure as the sun rises. Incredible.
Likes For Equinox:
Old 07-05-20, 07:22 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Equinox
Not ten minutes ago; utility truck partially obstructing oncoming traffic, THREE dump trucks swerve halfway into my lane forcing me onto my shoulder to avoid a head on. These are presumably professional drivers. This happen 100% of the time, as sure as the sun rises. Incredible.
I suspect your dump truck drivers are only "professional" in that they are paid to drive these trucks, and have little to no special "professional" training or skills, otherwise.
Old 07-05-20, 07:30 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,875 Times in 4,639 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Can something be more certain than something that is certain?
That's so deliciously pedantic that I wish I'd come up with it myself.
Old 07-09-20, 10:28 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Here in NYC there is that same certainty. Not into oncoming traffic, but traffic moving in the same direction on a 2 or 3 lane road. These people will literally just swerve into your lane without any regard to avoid something. And then when I honk at them they give me the finger like I’m the one who is supposed to politely stop short and allow them to proceed.

What annoys me even more are people who will park half in a parking spot and half in the driving lane forcing people to have to go around them, thus creating the situation mentioned above. It takes 2 seconds to properly move your car so that you are not in the driving lane. But they cannot be bothered. Driving lane be damned; they are going to obstruct it.

I think I need to leave this place.....
Likes For Vismund B: